SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : How many versions of the Bible do we need?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 How many versions of the Bible do we need?

Christian scholars wonder whether that popularity can sometimes be a bad thing, as a major new translation and waves of books marking the 400th anniversary of the venerable King James Bible inundate the market this fall.
The many translations and “niche Bibles” (think, “The Holy Bible: Stock Car Racing Edition”) sow confusion and division among Christians, invite ridicule from relativists and risk reducing God’s word to just another personal-shopping preference, the scholars say.

“I think we are drifting more and more to a diverse Babel of translations,” said David Lyle Jeffrey, former provost of Baylor University and an expert on biblical translations. Jeffrey thinks Americans need a “common Bible” — a role the King James version played for centuries — to communicate the grandeur of Scripture without reducing it to “shopping-center-level” discourse. ...

read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/22/2344206/how-many-versions-of-the-bible.html

2010/10/27 18:39Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: How many versions of the Bible do we need?

I think we would do well to have a couple strong translations every generation, just to keep the English as fresh and accurate as possible. Being that there can be nuanced meaning and alternative renderings of a text, having multiple variations is helpful to the serious student of the Scriptures, even amongst those who can read the original languages. But, people have definitely become carried away with it.

I'm happy with my NASB as my primary study, and sometimes checking out the NKJV/KJV, and then a random paraphrase from time to time.

2010/10/27 20:32Profile

we need as many versions and translations that can be mustered so that everyone can have their own wording that suits their creed.

2010/10/27 20:51
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re:

Remember the so-called "THE BOOK ??"
They were afraid even to call it the
Bible or GOD'S Word. Doesn't matter
how many translations are made; if
the Sacred Scriptures are not lived,
obeyed, practiced !!

2010/10/27 21:10Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
we need as many versions and translations that can be mustered so that everyone can have their own wording that suits their creed.

snuff, do I sense a little sarcasm here? :-)

Most of the Bibles that are like the "Stock Car Racing Fan's Bible" are simply a well known version dressed up in a flashy cover with study lessons built in that focus around a theme. I am not so much against that and think it can be helpful at times to draw someone into the word who has never been in the word much in the past. It is for the same reason that most children's Bibles are loaded with colorful illustrations.

I guess I am more uneasy with the translations and paraphrases that are not really scholarly. I know many who are blessed to read the message Bible and other paraphrases like it, but I am concerned that these versions are pre-loaded with the bias of the one who paraphrased it. I understand that all translations have this same bias to one degree or another, but I prefer scholarly translations that stick as closely as possible to the best understood meaning of the greek and the hebrew. KJV, NASB, etc.

I personally grew up with the KJV, find the most study tools keyed to it, and am very comfortable with it. So, I use it almost exclusively.

2010/10/28 22:09Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Well I could use a few more good bibles :) I am some what of a collector, and read out of all if not most of my translations. I enjoy something different about each one whether it be they are easy to understand, add to the meaning with clearer wording, or simply read beautifully. I wish I could speak and read Greek and Hebrew to further increase the meaning and love for the bible.

2010/10/28 22:31Profile
sonofthunder

Son Of Thunder i come from a land down under, due south at the bottom of your work globes

Im not sure how many translations are currently on the market as we speak? But at a rough guess - i would say well over 30 ... possibly more - and that doesnt include those NEWER versions which have a photo of the person/ministry behind the publication itself. The biggest reason for new versions over time has been the issue of language change. I.e the constant changing nature of words in modern contempory language. But The question remains and the question that begs is? Does the bible (scripture) need to keep up with what - they - out THERE - are doing, anyway? (NAMELY THE WORLD) ... and with the ever evolving language change? Ye are of God little children and have overcome them. Does the world dictate to the christian what happens next? But anyway, Perhaps you don't see it quite that black and white? But anyway What is Interesting to note is that many of the worlds leading keynote speakers in christianity (The platform ministries) still use and hold to the original KJV. That's In spite of the stigma of being thought of as a dinosuar or being (quote) old fashioned!!

And this is due to two main reasons (A) those who were born into the "baby boomer" generation grew up as it were with the Kjv bible and therefore find it very difficult to make the adjustments to "newer" and "more" contemporary versions. And because (b) most testify that the Kjv is the only bible translation that works (AND LENDS ITSELF TO THE MEMORIZATION OF THE SCRIPTURES) which testimony MIND YOU is theres from there own mouths - and from behind THE pulpits - they speak.

But Enough said on my part ...IT'S time to step aside ...and let ... others have there say. No surprise though brethren that the 400th anniversary of the kjv (next year) would bring out such huge interest! with people and there comments falling on both sides of the spiritual FENCE and ledger. Being Both Good and bad! But my, what a testament to longevity the Kjv really is! and oh how it has stood the test of time over those 400 hundred centuries and somewhat resiliently, i might add! and even today as we speak, it's still the worlds most trusted and most loved Bible translation - in the world and around the globe...

And finally brethren, the KJV actually needs no one to defend it! that is, to defend it as a work, as a translation, and as it presents itself (as a translation) to believers down through the ages and down through time. forasmuch as it has stood up and proven itself for some 400 years! that's quite an achievement and quite the record! very impressive! Now (If the NIV) version should or would last that long - that is (if the Lord tarry) Then likewise it should recieve similiar tributes and accolades as the KJV HAS! and where tributes are due! But conversely so, it the (KJV) has also survived many attempts that HAVE sought down through time: both to denigrate it , to minimize it, to ridicule it, and even to lambast, and poke fun at.

But you know what? it just keeps coming up trumps....

IT JUST KEEPS COMING UP AND UP AND...

Mmmm ... Im impressed! Are you??

2010/10/29 4:14Profile
sonofthunder

Son Of Thunder i come from a land down under, due south at the bottom of your work globes

Re: NKJV

You know had the NKJV editors and translators stuck to the task of just eliminiating the apperent thee's and cumbersome in the way (annoying) thou's ... to make it more supposedly ledgible and readable. Then i myself may have gladly made the transition and change. But to any knowlegeable and well informed student and scholar of the word - they would know it (the NKJV) went much further than just the eliminatiion of the apperant old and archaic elizabethian english...

Mmmm ... a lightbulb moment ...maybe a new goal for the revisionist then. To go back and just take out all those old and annoying archaic words .... and bamm ...there you have it! finally a great translation we can finally agree and settle on!! ( this is not asking too much ) surely?

But then - language will change again! And the modernist's will put Lol in place of sarah laughed! And After all it's much easy to say Lol than to say - the entire word, and its trendy and in vogue to insert (Lol)...

Hopefully common sense will prevail though and it wont ever come down to that! For such would be genuinely sacreligious and irrevrent! i dare say! But it wouldnt surpise me though if that did happened! sadly!

Q. when and where - will it - all stop? the revisionist though however - i fear will just keep going, and going, and going, and going !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ad-infinitum

what I think: and im not to being bigoted or dogmatic! i think you have come to a place in your heart where you settle the bible translation debate - and settle on a translation you have confidence in and are comfortable with. But me personally based on all that went (into) the making and publication of the kjv - i have come to a decision. And now this is where im stationed, anchored and stand! FINALLY!

2010/10/29 6:57Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

The NKJV or the MKJV are good if you just want to take out thees and thous. But then again, it is not hard to substitute you for thee or thou when you read. Some of the more obsolete words drive a person to study deeper.

2010/10/29 19:56Profile
iceman9

New York

Re:

Instead of creating new English versions I think perhaps we should invest that money and effort into getting Bible translations into languages that do not currently have a single verse in their own native tongue.

If we could just get the Church to obey the versions we already have; we would turn the world upside down!

2010/10/29 22:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy