SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How Did Daniel Get That Power?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
isaacac

Monterrey, Mexico

How Did Daniel Get That Power?

Hello,Brethren.
Sorry if this a little bit confusing, it is hard to me explain this in english, even in spanish (mother language).

You know I was thinking about this issue.
While I was listening to a sermon of David Wilkerson (that I haven't hear it all), which name is: Hell-Shaking Prayer. He was talking about how Daniel was a man of prayer, and for everything, he consulted God. I will take some passages so you could understand what I want you to answer,basically I'm going to center in the story of the lion's den:

Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went into his house; and, his windows being open in his chamber toward Jerusalem, he kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed, and gave thanks before his God, as he did aforetime.
(Daniel 6:10)

You know this impressive, a man realize that he is in peril just because of his beliefs, but he doesn't desist.

Now a question, that will make understand a little bit more my doubt. Did Daniel was making "those things" (living in purity) by his own-effort or by the Power of the Holy Spirit? because as far as I know ,the Spirit Of God could only reside on: judges,priests,kings and prophets. Why I'm asking this? Because while I was meditating about this, a quote of Leonard Ravenhill came to my mind:"A sinning man stops praying,a praying stops sinning", also because of this:

But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.
(Daniel 1:8)

I'm going to repeat my question but more explicit, did Daniel was obeying the law by himself or with the power of the Holy Spirit? and a second question: Does the praying life of Daniel was making an effect on himself? or in other words: The source of his purity was his intimates moments in God's presence?.

When I think in characters as Daniel , I think was more like a christian than a jew.

Sorry if I confused you a little bit, but I guess this a good thing to think about.

God bless you.

2010/10/21 22:52Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: How Did Daniel Get That Power?

First, let me say, I'm no scholar. I'm simply a Christian mother with little education.

May I ask, why would you suppose Daniel did anything by 'his own power'?

If it was not God's Holy Spirit, then what was it that sustained Daniel?

Why do you suppose God's Spirit resided only on judges, priests, kings and prophets? Daniel was a prophet anyway. He foretold Nebuchadnezzer what would take place.

As we recognise who God is, as Creator, Lord, Sovereign, Master, and as our Father, Heavenly Father at that, we would be awe of Him, and see Him as Daniel did, and spend time in prayer the same way.

Maybe, Daniel spent 3 hours per day in prayer, 6v10. If we did the same, we would know why Daniel was the way he was.

That's it from me for now.

God bless.

2010/10/22 4:08Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Enid, I agree with you.

Isaac, the power that was on Daniel was a natural outgrowth of his time spent with God. It is that simple: Daniel spends much time with the LORD = power.

I would guess most of us know that when we spend time with the LORD privately, quietly we will experience his enabling power and grace all day long in subtle ways. We also know that when we get too busy and our private, personal time with him is ignored things have a way of going wrong for some reason or another.

My point is that power is an a natural result of a life spent alone with God.....it builds and feeds on the previous times spent with Him.

My observation....and God bless.

ginnyrose

2010/10/22 8:52Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
I would guess most of us know that when we spend time with the LORD privately, quietly we will experience his enabling power and grace all day long in subtle ways.

This is so true, I have lived this in the past 14 months, and seen it play out in my life.

2010/10/22 9:38Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Isaacac:

Under the old covenant (recorded in the old testament) men were moved upon by the Holy Spirit. Scripture does not say they had to be prophets, judges, priests, or kings for this to happen. Recall Baalam. He was not a follower of God. He was a pagan man. Yet, when called upon to curse the children of Israel by a king the Holy Spirit moved on him and he was unable to curse, only to bless. Even if it were true that only prophets, priests, and kings were moved upon this way, Daniel was a prophet.

The thing that interests me about your question is the question about keeping the law and about Daniel seeming more like a Christian in his relationship to God than simply a law keeping Jew.

Daniel was a bit like David in this respect I believe. He had a revelation of a relationship with God that was outside of law. Neither Daniel nor David ever kept the law perfectly. No man ever did. The law was weak through the flesh. In captivity, Daniel could not have possibly kept some parts of the law. But his desire was to honor, please, and obey God and he did his best to do that. I don't see it recorded that he did it because he felt it his duty to the law, but rather out of his love and devotion to God. IN this respect Daniel might have also been called a man after God's own heart.

The important thing is that we don't somehow become deceived and think that we cause God to do things in and through us by His Holy Spirit because we are keeping laws or praying a certain amount of time a day. To do so is to begin to relate to God again through the old covenant and the book of Galatians speaks very plainly about this.

Blessings Brother.

2010/10/22 11:32Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy