SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Relying on the holy spirit in prayer and Breakthroughs in prayer

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Relying on the holy spirit in prayer and Breakthroughs in prayer

1 Kings 19
4 But he himself went a day's journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree: and he requested for himself that he might die ; and said , It is enough; now, O LORD, take away my life; for I am not better than my fathers. 5 And as he lay and slept under a juniper tree, behold, then an angel touched him, and said unto him, Arise and eat . 6 And he looked , and, behold, there was a cake baken on the coals, and a cruse of water at his head. And he did eat and drink , and laid him down again . 7 And the angel of the LORD came again the second time, and touched him, and said , Arise and eat ; because the journey is too great for thee. 8 And he arose , and did eat and drink , and went in the strength of that meat forty days and forty nights unto Horeb the mount of God.

I have been praying this through alot, relying on the holy spirit in prayer, when I pray my physical strength sometimes run out and god gives me the strength to pray but sometimes I find it so hard to even get to that level!

Luke 22:43 KJV
And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.

Someone noted that the Disciples were not impressed by Jesus Preaching, they did not ask Jesus teach us how to teach but teach us how to pray, Sometimes I so battle with even praying! I think everything in this life battles against it, not only that it is when you start to pray I find that work and everything else battle against you!

Relying on the Holy Spirit is such a hard thing as we want to always rely on our own strength and to bring us to such a point when we do not rely on our selves, David Wilkerson says that the last half an hour is the most difficult time in prayer,

Jasper my friend likens prayer to a tree, he says you know the real christians because they tend to pray whether things are good or bad as a tree with short roots tends to topple over easily!

I know that I sometimes breakthrough in prayer and then am so tired the next day and then I have to rely on the holy spirit!

Is there times when you struggle with praying beyond your set times? Why do we find it so hard to rely on Jesus strength in prayer? Why is it so hard to breakthrough in prayer?

2010/10/16 16:52Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Relying on the holy spirit in prayer and Breakthroughs in prayer

Quote:
Is there times when you struggle with praying beyond your set times? Why do we find it so hard to rely on Jesus strength in prayer? Why is it so hard to breakthrough in prayer?

Yes, prayer is such a mystery to me at times, and there is definitely a lot of struggling involved just to get to the place where we are praying through. I'm reminded of something that TA Sparks wrote in his booklet In Touch With The Throne;

Perhaps, in closing that phase of things, we might remind ourselves that very often the Lord calls for an initial exercise on our part before He comes in on His side. He very often requires an initiative from us in the matter of desire, of faith and of volition. It is like the drop of water that has to be put into the old-fashioned pump to produce the stream, and you do not get the flow until you have given the pump something. And the Lord just calls for that on our part which may be, in comparison, a very little, but which makes it possible for Him to come out in His fullness. Very often prayer at its commencement represents exercise of will, faith and desire on our part, and then the Lord responds to that. It may be that the Lord does not respond until He sees the desire put into faith's deliberate action of the will to get through to Him. There is very often a good deal of discouragement met with at the commencement of prayer, and the danger is that we should give up too soon because we do not seem to be getting anywhere. The Lord is just asking for that drop of water to start the flow!

You can read the booklet at http://www.austin-sparks.net/english/books/in_touch_with_the_throne.html

In Christ,

Ron

2010/10/16 18:27Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Relying on the holy spirit in prayer and Breakthroughs in prayer

Pray earnestly, fervently,
pray without ceasing. Many
of us do not persevere in
prayer until we prevail!!

2010/10/16 18:34Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net