SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Reward

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
davidc

France

Re:

Neither the 1 Corinthians 3 passage

"Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour. For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building. According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon. For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire." 1 Cor 3:5-15 (KJV)

Nor the 'Bema seat" passage

"Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: (For we walk by faith, not by sight:) We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. For we must all appear before the judgment seat (Bema) of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences." 2 Cor 5:6-11 (KJV)

State of even imply that rewards are motivation for us. They are plainly stating facts: "every man's work shall be made manifest" and "we must all appear".

The verses Oracio refers to in 1 Cor 9 do speak of running to obtain a prize or an incorruptible crown:

"Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway". 1 Cor 9:24-27 (KJV)

But in Phillipians 3 Paul clearly states what that prize is that he want to win:

"Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." Phil 3:8-14 (KJV)

It won't be an Olympic medal ceremony in that day, for Christ alone will be exalted. God insists on it. Every knee shall bow.

Amen come Lord Jesus

2010/10/16 17:44Profile
Renoncer

Re:

Good thoughts Davidc and MyVeryHeart.
This issue of rewards is often slanted by our corrupt hearts…

When most people think of “rewards”, they think about it in a self-centered way. Let’s try to correct that thought; how about thinking about rewards in a God-centered way? I suggest that the passages that speak of “rewards” in the Scriptures refer to God-centered rewards, Christ-exalting and glorious in nature.

“Obedience” that is motivated by self-centered rewards does not glorify God. In fact, this goes against the heart of the Gospel, which is obedience compelled by the love that God has poured out on us.

The love of Christ compels us. Oh, that I might gain Christ!

2010/10/16 18:44Profile
MyVeryHeart

Paradise, California

Re:

A certain servant was told that he would receive a city from his master. But the servant said to his master "I would rather clean the floors of your throne room and be near you continuously than be in the city." The master said "my throne room floors are clean and do not need to be washed". The servant replied "Yes, but let me wash them nonetheless so that I may be continually washed by your presence". The master smiled and said "your heart is right", receive your reward.

2010/10/16 18:57Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

If the promise of reward is not to serve as a motivation in the present time, then why does the Lord mention them?

And if we aren't to enjoy them, then why even give them to begin with?

I believe you guys are being too "mystical" in your outlook
It sounds spiritual, but isn't. Christ means to give us tangible rewards in the age to come, rewards beyond simply "being in His presence." They are very much tangible rewards, ones He actually means for us to actually "selfishly" enjoy. Things such as literally ruling over five and ten cities.

2010/10/16 19:55Profile
MyVeryHeart

Paradise, California

Re:

Quote:
If the promise of reward is not to serve as a motivation in the present time, then why does the Lord mention them?

To judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

2010/10/16 20:08Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I'm sorry, that just doesn't make any sense to me. Could you clarify?

2010/10/16 20:23Profile
MyVeryHeart

Paradise, California

Re:

'Therefore repent; or else I am coming to you quickly, and I will make war against them with the sword of My mouth. Revelation 2:16

he who has an ear, let him hear

2010/10/16 21:06Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

That wasn't very helpful.

2010/10/16 21:09Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Quote:
A certain servant was told that he would receive a city from his master. But the servant said to his master "I would rather clean the floors of your throne room and be near you continuously than be in the city." The master said "my throne room floors are clean and do not need to be washed". The servant replied "Yes, but let me wash them nonetheless so that I may be continually washed by your presence". The master smiled and said "your heart is right", receive your reward.

Where is this from? It's beautiful

2010/10/16 21:50Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

"If the promise of reward is not to serve as a motivation in the present time, then why does the Lord mention them?

And if we aren't to enjoy them, then why even give them to begin with?"

As I read the beattitudes I thought about this thread, Jesus tells us to do good works to be a light on a lampstand etc, for what though? To bring Glory to God. If our motivation is solely based on reward I don't really think I want that view or mindset. We are so indept to God on the blessing end of it there is absolutely no reason why God is obligated to bless us or even give us a reward. SO why then does he give good gifts? Is it because we are so wonderful and good He just can't help it? I think not I am a worm and deserve nothing. HE gives gifts simply because from this we are to bring Glory, Honor, and Praise to His name not because we are such lovely servants.

God has no obligation to reward you for your works, your works are filthy rags, He does though because He is so Good not because we are so good.

2010/10/16 21:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy