SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Reward

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

In Martin Lloyd-Jones book on the Sermon on the Mount, he said (greatly paraphrased) that those who say they aren't greatly interested in their eternal rewards are basically pseudo-spiritual, and aren't adhering to the Biblical faith. Instead they were into some sort of warm and fuzzy sort of faith.

I know, not said nearly as well as Lloyd-Jones ever said anything. Forgive me for not having the quote on hand :-)

But you know, I think we generally don't think much about our eternal rewards because such a subject deals with the last days, and most of us would rather not touch anything to do with doctrines regarding the last days. So, because we are generally ignorant on the Biblical doctrine of rewards, we don't see any relevant application in the here and now regarding them.

But truth be told, I think if we gave more thought about our eternal rewards, we would find that they are great motivation towards doing effectual ministry and abounding in greater works. For example, I live a very active life. For a variety of reasons, I'm forced to work quite a few hours a week. But even with all of that, I still seek to actively engage in outreach to the lost, and ministry within the Church, leaving me little room anything else.

And I choose to do what I do, not only because I believe the Lord has called me and charged me to do these things, and I want to please Him in all things, but I engage in these things because I know ultimately, I will spend eternity with our Lord, who will richly reward me for the little labor I do now, in the ages to come. And I do these things, always conscience that the young man that I am, that I am giving up what many tell me is "the prime" of my life.

Yet I press on and throw my life away, knowing that I will be rewarded for my labor. I am willing to make the sacrifices I make, and am encouraged to make greater ones, because I am motivated by the ultimate payout in the ages to come, and the rich rewards which my precious Lord will yet give to me.

Such an idea might sound carnal or offensive to some of you. But I believe Jesus was serious when He told us to store up for ourselves treasure in heaven. If we should find no other reason to be interested in our eternal rewards, we should be interested in them simply because Jesus commanded us to store for ourselves treasures in heaven. Therefore, if you want to be in His will, store up for yourselves treasures in heaven. And in the process, look forward to actually receiving those rewards, and allow them to motivate you to sacrifice all the more. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. I'm pretty sure that's what Jesus said. :-)

Just some thoughts. A great subject.

2010/10/15 23:28Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

This topic just makes me understand that I know very little about who I am in Christ other than a worm :) I am still young in this and are still moved by the wind, working on being grounded in Christ. It will take an eternity to thank God for His grace and forgiveness for just one of my sins let alone the rewards He wishes to bestow on us all.

2010/10/15 23:54Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re: Reward

I agree with ceebub that the bema seat passage seems to place an emphasis on degrees of rewards as a motivation to be diligent in seeking Christ and doing His will with all our heart. Another passage that comes to mind is 1Cor.9:24-27 where Paul exhorts us to "Run in such a way that you may win." He paints the picture of a disciplined athlete who's sole aim is to come in first place, taking great pains so that he may win that prize. In essence Pauls says there, "If those guys go to such extremes to be disciplined and diligent to win a perishable wreath/prize, how much more disciplined and diligent should we be in light of the eternal, imperishable crown that awaits us."

I thinks this thread is complimentary to the one on good works started by Jimmy. Great topic.

2010/10/16 0:59Profile
MyVeryHeart

Paradise, California

Re:

Does a Bride come to the wedding for her Bridegroom or for the presents?

2010/10/16 3:18Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

The groom of course. But that question doesn't fit here,because the concept of rewards doesn't belong to a wedding analogy. It belongs in analogies to labor and justice.

It is unbiblical to serve the Lord in the present, and to suffer injustice for the present, without looking unto your eternal rewards as motivation in the present. Such would be contrary to the teaching of Scripture from cover to cover, and smacks of sentimentalism more than authentic Biblical spirituality.

Why do we reject the clear teaching of Scripture in these things? Let us rather reject the warm fuzzies of unscriptural sentimentalism.

2010/10/16 9:23Profile
MyVeryHeart

Paradise, California

Re:

To serve and suffer with the lord is to be adorned with righteous acts, a wedding garment, for the Bride. It is not about the presents. It is about being pleasing in the eye of the one you are to spend eternity with. "Let us rejoice and be glad and give the glory to Him, for the marriage of the Lamb has come and His bride has made herself ready." It was given to her to clothe herself in fine linen, bright and clean; for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints. Revelation 19:7-8

2010/10/16 9:44Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

While that's nice, the Biblical faith handed down to the saints from the Lord teaches us that we are to find motivation in our eternal rewards. A simple reading of the Gospels teaches this. Indeed, it is unscriptural to not find them as motivation, and to look forward to them.

2010/10/16 9:56Profile
MyVeryHeart

Paradise, California

Re:

Does the Richest Man want his Bride to come to the marriage with thoughts of all the presents his Wealthy Father will give her?

Or does the Bridegroom desire his Bride to be consumed with thought of Him, and his Glory?

2010/10/16 10:02Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I'm sorry brother, but these questions are not within the Biblical world view. Reward is motivation.

2010/10/16 10:07Profile
MyVeryHeart

Paradise, California

Re:

"Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done." Revelation 22:12

He is coming. The Bright Morning Star. The beloved Bridegroom.
His lips are like lilies, and our eyes like Doves. And from his mouth proceeds a sword to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

2010/10/16 10:27Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy