SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : What grace is this?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
PosterThread
Koheleth

NC

Re:

Redi wrote:

Quote:
the Lord has made it clear to me that divorce is sin

Just for clarification, unless you mean the Lord spoke to you particularly that divorce would be sin in your case, there is not any Scripture against divorce, in the sense of it being sin. Yes, there are many Scriptures that can be used to admonish Christians to stay married, as 1 Cor 7, but all divorce is not sin. It is remarriage that is sin (adultery). I suppose breaking the covenant of marriage (divorce) without a Biblical reason could be viewed as sin, and probably would be, but I am not aware the Scriptures explicitly teach this (correct me if I am mistaken). Again, Jesus speaks only of not being able to remarry while the original spouse is still living.

2010/11/3 23:48Profile

Re: What grace is this?

Quote:
Again, Jesus speaks only of not being able to remarry while the original spouse is still living.

Are you speaking of divorce between Christians, where there has been no betrayal of wedlock... they simply fell out badly, and decided to call it a day on their marriage?

2010/11/4 9:24
Koheleth

NC

Re:

Alive-to-God said:

Quote:
Are you speaking of divorce between Christians, where there has been no betrayal of wedlock... they simply fell out badly, and decided to call it a day on their marriage?

Yes. I am not recommending divorce and do not believe God does either. Mature Christians I do believe can always find a way to stay together in Christ, even if the circumstances or personalities are not ideal. There is always a way where "God will work all things for good". Still, as you say, I do not believe either separation or divorce, if it seems to be necessary, are sin, as long as the person remains celibate. There can be no marriage or lawful union while a former spouse remains alive. It is a temptation in such cases, I suppose, to wish for the death of the other, but this is evil, surely a sin, and must be rejected also for the good thoughts and blessings that God would have for the other. I believe it is good, through prayer and faith, for estranged couples to also find a way to reunite. I know stories of Christians who have divorced and remarried years later. God is a great healer, and time is one of his balms.

2010/11/6 0:17Profile

Re: What grace is this?

Hi Koheleth,

Thanks for you reply. I just wanted to be sure you weren't condemning divorced people through infidelity, to be single for the rest of their lives.

Also, that if God forgives adulterers and fornicators - which we know He does - then one's personal history of (whatever) sin does not preclude any repentant one from a future Christian marriage in the Lord.

2010/11/6 14:32

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy