SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Willow Creek Pastor Puts High Price Tag on New Vision

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Willow Creek Pastor Puts High Price Tag on New Vision

Just a few years ago, Willow Creekers dedicated themselves to unleashing unprecedented levels of compassion for the broken world. The well-known megachurch has been active in training church leaders around the world, alleviating global poverty, and helping those affected by HIV/AIDS in Africa.
"We've stepped up on the global side," Hybels recognized. But the needs of their neighbors on their home turf are great.

While keeping its commitment to aiding people overseas, Willow Creek will be relocating and strengthening its car ministry and expanding its care center to include legal aid services, counseling for women with unplanned pregnancies and a medical clinic.

"The facility that we're leasing off campus will not allow us to meet the growing and pressing needs of our community," he reported, noting that care center visits increased 89 percent in the last year. "Our leased facilities are maxed ...

read more: http://www.christianpost.com/article/20101011/willow-creek-pastor-puts-high-pricetag-on-new-vision/

2010/10/12 11:54Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Willow Creek Pastor Puts High Price Tag on New Vision

What is sad is that the need for mankind is the eternal gospel not body salvation. I see this in north american, dentists, chirorpacters, welness centers, health foods.. all to just perserve and maintain and dying body. But the tradegy is that soul is sick and has HIV, hell is real and all men need the gospel of Jesus Christ.

2010/10/12 11:55Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Well, the way I read this news story is that Bill Hybles is looking at it as a form of outreach, with the end thereof being the salvation of souls. I'm not a big Bill Hybles fan. But it seems like it is a good work he's attempting to do with this.

2010/10/12 12:05Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re: Willow Creek Pastor Puts High Price Tag on New Vision

Here are a few other quotes from the article,

Quote:
Sharing his conviction on the need to care for others, Hybels told the congregation that when the "day of reckoning" comes, Christians will not be measured by when they raised their hand to accept Christ or how much they know about Christianity, but rather on compassion.

Quote:
He added, "Jesus isn't talking about salvation by doing good works. Salvation is a gift. But what Jesus is saying [is]: if that's really happened in you, if you've been redeemed from the inside out, the word of the Holy Spirit will be such that you will become my hands, my feet ... in the world."

I'm assuming he has Matt.25:31-46 in mind there. I believe there is much Scriptural validity in having a heart to reach out to the poor amongst us(not to say I endorse all of what Hybels is planning). I think too many of us have forsaken our God-given duty to minister to the poor in practical ways, and that is because we are afraid of falling into the trap of the "Social Gospel". And I would agree that that fear is a legitimate one because we know that the salvation of the soul is more important than the body. But I believe we have gone too far with that fear and neglected God's heart of compassion for the poor.

There are so many Scriptures that clearly declare that God is concerned with meeting the practical needs of the poor(Prov.22:9; Prov.19:7; Isa.58:6-7; Ezek.16:49; Lk.3:11; Lk. 12:33; Lk.14:12-14). Yes, we should be careful not to emphasize social justice above Gospel proclamation. But especially for those of us who live in the west, I believe we should see more of this "Being the hands and feet of Jesus" among the poor. In having had the priviledge of ministering among the poor for a number of years, I have found that looking out for their immediate pracical needs(whether its a plate of food, an item of clothing,etc.) often breaks down huge mental walls or barriers which causes them to be more open and receptive to the gospel. Too often the poor perceive Christian ministers as being money hungry greedy hypocrites. And for them to see us giving sacrificially to them is a powerful witness and softens their hearts to the gospel message. Not to say we need to first give them something before we witness to them. But if we have the means, why not? It does not cost much to give them a small meal or such. Well, I guess I'll gett off my soap box and end with this Scripture; "Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth."(1John3:18)

Oracio
www.frontlinego.com

2010/10/12 13:34Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Amen. And even if your being merciful to them doesn't open a door to fully share the gospel with them, the mercy we show to them is still a demonstration of the power of the kingdom of God. I've helped minister at a soup kitchen before. Sometimes I've had the chance to share the gospel with others. Sometimes not. But either way, I believe I helped minister Christ to them in some measure.

2010/10/12 13:53Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Yes, sometimes action speaks louder than words, though caution is needed in that sentiment. Some would focus too much on action with no gospel proclamaion, and some would neglect love in action altogether. There is a sense in which they should go hand in hand when ministering to the poor, if we have the means or ability, which most of us do if we have a job.

2010/10/12 17:18Profile
shadyg

Re:

Praise God! I'm glad to see the church leading the lost to savlation and being a haven of hope in a socially unjust world.

2010/10/12 18:01Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

I'm with Greg on this.

We say not to use entertainment to draw souls, so why do we say it's okay to use humanistic/carnal approaches?

2010/10/12 18:16Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

and what is so "new" about this new vision any how?
Churches have been using this form of "evangelism" for years, and the church is more corrupt and without Christ than ever!

Just my 2 cents. :)

Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God. Jesus didn't feed the 4000 until after they were starving after following Him out of desire and hunger for TRUTH for 3 days...

2010/10/12 18:24Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

The Salvation Army was known for doing both. Social outreach and preaching the gospel went hand in hand with them. Wherever they did one, they did the other. And they had a touch of revival upon them.

2010/10/12 18:43Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy