SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Should men keep from shaving their beards?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
Because you have not experienced the Holy Spirit giving you revelation about your personal appearance does not mean A) it is not valid and B) there are not numerous Scriptural precedents.

We need a revelation about our personal appearance??

Um, here is a quick revelation of your personal appearance.

Go to the bathroom, turn the light on, stand in front of the mirror and if you can see yourself, you have just witnessed a revelation of your appearance.

2010/10/13 10:17

Re:

I mentioned something earlier for just a second, but I think it's something that we all need to be quite aware of.

That is adding the Name of the Lord to anything we say, as some sort of stamp of approval. I.E. God told me to do this, God spoke to me about this, etc. etc. ESPECIALLY if what we're saying cannot be 100% undeniably backed up by Scripture. I'm not sure where we think we get this sort of liberty. People will use His Name so flippantly and so commonly that it can be tacked on to about anything.

"The Lord told me to shop at Rite-Aid today instead of Walmart."
"God spoke to me and told me to drive home a different way from work on Thursdays"
I even had a lady once tell me, "God spoke to me, letting me know exactly how to cut down the tree stump in the back of my yard." She then proceeded to demonstrate that it was to make a sweeping motion in the shape of a cross, thus further validating that it must have been from God.

In the Old Testament, men weren't just allowed to say anything in the Lord's Name. You were LITERALLY putting your life on the line. If you were wrong, and spoke presumptuously, your life was forfeit. You think God didn't mind if you blundered a few things that you decided to stamp His Name on? But we all make bad judgement calls, yeah? In the OT, you didn't get the bailout option of a bad judgement call. And we think a holy God is not incredibly serious about the casual use of His Name?

We need to learn the difference of being led somewhere by the Spirit, or the Spirit revealing something to us VS actually hearing God speak directly to us. Have we seen many real prophets? I can tell you this, the very few REAL ones I've ever ran across have had such a heavy reverence for the Name, they wouldn't dare speak it 1/10000th of the frequency that I see it being tossed around by a group of people who think God's giving them all this fantastic revelation. Art Katz mentioned something to this effect when referencing a pastors meeting or something he attended one time. A man stood up and declared that he had received something from God to share with them. Mr. Katz said at first he was ecstatic, but it soon gave way to disappointment, as he realized the man had received nothing of the sort.

Most of what I see today is either self delusion of a rehash of Kings 22. Now if you have to look up Kings 22, to figure out what I'm talking about, I would instantly distrust anything that came out of your mouth as being a Word from God. The terror of the possibility of what happens in that chapter should be on the forefront of anyone's mind the moment they even begin to dream of speaking in God's name. And the funny thing is this, if they are a victim of the same, they really ARE giving a word that IS from the Lord (In a manner of speaking). It's just not what they think it is.

There's power in the Name of the Lord. Serious power. Yet we wonder why the name of the Lord lacks the punch it should. Could it be that we've made it so common, He no longer trusts it to us? We're quite willing to put it on any revelation or idea that "seems quite Biblical and/or good" or may even sound "profound" in the way we think God should sound. But is any of that what the requirement is for speaking on behalf of Him?

But maybe this shouldn't be so surprising. After all, most people still believe that the third commandment only means that we shouldn't use the Lord's Name as an expletive.

2010/10/13 10:46

Re:

Quote:
"The Lord told me to shop at Rite-Aid today instead of Walmart." "God spoke to me and told me to drive home a different way from work on Thursdays" I even had a lady once tell me, "God spoke to me, letting me know exactly how to cut down the tree stump in the back of my yard.

ROFL

Well, I can't say that the Lord ever said go here or go there, but I have found myself wandering hither and yon to the place I think He would have me be because I'd bump into brethren that I haven't seen in months which always turns out to be a blessings. Normally, I rarely see anyone that I know of Christian wise, so when I do see them, It's got to be God leading.

I have heard of stories from people that would have great yearnings not to go down any further on a certain highway but to stop and wait. As they continue on their way after they waited, they came upon a 13 car pile up.

But I have heard of so many people taking the Lord's name in vain.

And this is the true meaning of taking the Lord's name in vain, using it in a "thus sayeth the Lord" and He is not even talking.

I am of the Pentecostal variety and I have heard so many things go on within this group that is absolutely foolish. But that never caused me to abandoned what I experienced, I will hold on to that till this carcass drops. However, there are a lot of flighty people out there that either don't reverence His name or never knew Him in the first place.

2010/10/13 11:05

Re:

Quote:
Well, I can't say that the Lord ever said go here or go there, but I have found myself wandering hither and yon to the place I think He would have me be because I'd bump into brethren that I haven't seen in months which always turns out to be a blessings. Normally, I rarely see anyone that I know of Christian wise, so when I do see them, It's got to be God leading.

Oh yes. I believe in this 100%, but I'm also with you on that it's a LEADING of God and of the Spirit.

It's the "commandments" and "words" that are accredited to Him that make me leery. Real Words from God should be just overpowering with weight, and piercing in the most crucial way. Also, being anything but 100% in perfect line with Scripture is not an option. Not just some clever sounding spiritual-ish anecdote, or something that would make a catchy Christian bumper sticker, or fit well on one of those Christian single serving tear off calendars found in pastors' offices and believers' bathrooms.

It's just like what HomeSkoolDad said:

If God really did speak to an individual, and give them something just between the individual and Him, that's probably where it should stay... Just between the individual and Him. (the expanded version)

2010/10/13 11:17

Re:

This thread is really turned into what Paul said we should avoid... endless debates about nothing. Dont want to shave? Then dont. Want to shave? Then shave. Want to wear of head covering... by all means do it!

Who cares? God doesnt.

He told me so!

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

2010/10/13 13:05
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: HomeSkooldad

I will lock this thread since it have no longer any upbuilding material for the body of christ, whatever you do, do it unto the Lord.... if you are convinced to grow your beard do so unto the Lord, as i understand and have heard from a jewish rabbi he told me that it has to do with "nakedness" , that showing your throat was showing your body, so when a Priest entered or was to make a sacrifice he was "clothed" , if i remember right even their "dress" was long to cover their legs. If this is the reason god commanded men not to cut their beard i am not convinced, although i have "semi" long beard myself most of the time i do not judge those who chose not to if their concience do not condem them i do not either.

If you find the word of God commands you to not shave and you do to you that would be sin.... because you are convinced god commands something and yet you willfully disobey.

so agian do everything unto the Lord. I know very godly men who have a beard, and i know men who are lightyears ahead of my spiritually that are clean shaved.

All these little things we tend spend so much time on.... let us press on brothers and sisters.

2010/10/13 13:33Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy