SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Should men keep from shaving their beards?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

This is interesting. Until nearly two years ago, I didn't know that there were any congregations that prohibited facial hair (or any that encouraged the growth of facial hair) on men. I was aware that many Amish and Mennonite sects have strict rules and regulations regarding facial hair (amongst other things). I just don't know the specific Scriptural basis for the practice.

A couple of years ago, I attended a strict Pentecostal congregation that prohibit facial hair on men. I have hair on my chin (but no mustache). When my wife and I visited the congregation, I remember noticing the eyes those who greeted us drop from my eyes to my chin (even before I knew about their particular belief about facial hair). After I read about this particular sectarian prohibition toward male facial hair, I was a bit puzzled.

I initially grew my goatee to cover up a deep scar that I had from an accident during college. After the scar healed well enough, I was going to shave. However, my wife (while I was courting her at the time) liked it and asked me to keep it. I have kept it ever since.

I can't think of any passage in the New Testament that speaks about facial hair. I am very much aware of the passage regarding long hair on men or women with shaved heads (in I Corinthians); however, I don't think that I can recall any specific mention of this elsewhere.

Are there any particular New Testament passages upon which these particular ideas (pro-beard or anti-beard) are based? I visited some websites (including websites about Mennonites and Amish) and can find nothing in the Scriptures upon which they base such a practice.

2010/10/9 17:01Profile

Re:

Quote:
Partially shaved beard styles look frivolous, vain, silly, etc.

At 43, I've got to remain clean shaven to keep up that boyish look. Vanity? Indeed! LOL

2010/10/9 17:31

Re:

Quote:
Just an interesting tidbit. Many native American peoples, such as the Cherokee, do not grow facial hair, or much body hair for that matter, due to their genetic makeup. This is not just a few men here or there, but the majority of the population. It was only when they began to be genetically mixed with people of European descent that they began to be able to grow beards. Would nature not have taught these people that men cannot grow beards?

I think that would be impossible. In order for nature to teach them something about beards, they would have to first see men who had beards.

2010/10/9 17:43

Re:

I would grow a beard. If genetics only allowed.......Sigh.....

(Only for the pure reason that I think they look cool)

2010/10/9 19:53
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

I enjoy the ability to grow a beard but my wife doesn't like the beard, sometimes she just has to deal with it :). I have been shaving ever since the 5th grade and was the only one in 6th grade sporting a peach fuss tache. It seems the only day of the week I do shave is on Sunday morning then it progressively grows back until the next Sunday unless I watch a movie or TV show with a main character that sports a manly beard and then I generally grow a beard afer that simply to reconnect with my manliness.

For those that can't grow a proper beard you should consider yourself lucky you don't have to shave its a pain :)

2010/10/9 19:59Profile

Re:

Quote:
I have been shaving ever since the 5th grade and was the only one in 6th grade sporting a peach fuss tache.

HAHA. We should trade genetics, Mathew. What do you say?

2010/10/9 20:02
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Well I don't know maybe do half I enjoy my beard at times just wish it would grow slower :) So you can have half of my beard growing genetics and I'll take half of your nonbeard growing genetics. OR we can just make a complete trade and just test it out for a week to see what we think :)

2010/10/9 20:07Profile
Jeremy221

Re: Beards

Hi,

I've pondered the role of the beard from time to time and asked the Spirit about this but not gotten any specific all inclusive wisdom on the matter. Personally, I have been instructed to wear a mustache, not clean shaven and not a full or partial beard. One of the early things the Lord taught me after receiving the Spirit was that appearance does matter but like everything else in the Christian walk it depends on walking in the Spirit. As has been noted already there is no specific instruction regarding facial hair on men in the New Testament. I think that wisdom in this matter requires more than a negative, reactive stance to define why God instructed the men under the Law not to shave or form their beards.

The Lord does not need to speak in the negative to differentiate His work from the World because He is the Truth. In Lev. 19:2 it reads, "Speak to the entire assembly of Israel and say to them; 'Be holy because I, the Lord your God, am holy.'" The command to not shave or form form beards was given in the context of what it means to holy as God is holy. In verse 18 it reads, "Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord." So the question remains, what does shaving one's beard have to do with being holy?

When we look through all the commands here that are given directly in the context of revering the name of the Lord and keeping it holy, God is making a statement about a way in which we men are to display the image of Christ physically in our flesh. I believe that this command has to do with the concept of 'being.' The Lord of Hosts is. He is just. He is merciful. He is love. He cares for the righteous and the sinner and looks out for the poor and alien in land. He is the same from all eternity to all eternity. When a man is at rest in who he is in God, as God is at rest in who He is in Himself, there is no striving to be something or appear as something to fit an image that comes from the World that is rooted in the wisdom of the Powers of the Air. Shaving and forming one's facial hair to conform to societal norms is an affectation and brings the source of one's being into view. This extends to other areas of appearance as well. How do you dress? What do you do with your hair? How do you walk? What is your posture like? What does your face look like when at rest? All these things are external indicators of your internal reality.

Are you fully submitted to Christ? Are you at rest in your Beloved? Are you adorning yourself with the Gospel of Christ? I ask you to humble yourself before God and bring all the subtle vanities of how you look before Christ. How concerned are you about the Glory of God being demonstrated through you?

2010/10/9 20:20Profile
fromtheold

South Africa

Re:

Removed.

Sorry, I dont want to form debates and things.
I just wanted an opinion on whether men are supposed to have beards. Not according to law but according to a purpose or function of the beard.

I think i'll leave now.

2010/10/10 4:37Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

fromtheold, Brother, you have not started a debate at all. Actually, the tone of this thread is pretty lighthearted. I have enjoyed the discussion on the thread. God bless you my brother in Christ.

2010/10/10 10:53Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy