SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Fasting

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
swimmer

Re:

I just noticed this thread that I had missed from a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to add a couple of thing, if I could. As far as the reasons why we fast, Matthew 4:1,2 says "Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. And when He had fasted forty days and forty nights, afterward he was hungry". Doesn't obedience to the Spirit then become one of the reasons to fast? I wonder if any others have felt led by the Spirit to fast? I know that when I want to fast and do, I am not very successful. When I feel led by the Spirit to fast, I am able to complete it.

2010/10/24 0:22Profile

Re:

Quote:
Doesn't obedience to the Spirit then become one of the reasons to fast? I wonder if any others have felt led by the Spirit to fast? I know that when

And not just fasting...Our entire walk.

For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. Romans 8:13-14

2010/10/24 1:06
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Doesn't obedience to the Spirit then become one of the reasons to fast? I wonder if any others have felt led by the Spirit to fast?

I would say absolutely! If the Holy Spirit deals with you to fast, do it. God is trying to get something to you and whatever it may be it is glory. God gives us grace to do what He tells us to do.

2010/10/24 9:05Profile

Re:

Keep this thread alive. This subject always goes down WAY too quickly.

2010/10/24 9:12
knitefall

God-Complex

I remember fasting when I thought I could challenge God. Yeah, I thought that since I've been born again that I could "take on" what ever tribulations and trials and temptations. I would totally get beat up and fail. If I tried to fast sin out, it would come on stronger. If I tried to fast for answers, it would frustrate problems. If I tried to fast for patience, huh, good luck on that one too. Until I realized it was my God-Complex (sinful flesh nature) rising up, thinking itself higher than it ought. I could do NOTHING in and of myself for sanctification. That's a big word no one uses these days! If I set myself under law, to gain something by means of my own flesh, this would frustrate God. And God will never help you keep law. You might think you have victory but it would be short lived if at all. Remember Moses' face that shown? And it faded- the glory of the old cov't law program is nothing compared to what we have IN Christ Jesus. If you have been baptized INTO the Body of Jesus (by Faith) Rom 6:3 then you are no longer responsible to Sanctify yourself. Fasting to bring about some spiritual change is indeed a misunderstanding of the Gospel and how God works. You cannot combat a spiritual problem by means of the flesh corrupted by sin. The answer is found solely in the Cross of Christ and simplistic Faith therein.

2010/10/24 9:28Profile

Re: God-Complex

I plan to fast a 40 day spin in January. I am not fasting like I did in the past for spiritual reasons though it will end up being that way, rather I am fasting for health reasons. I've gone as much as 24 days and I could have gone more, but I had received the answer that I was looking for and the changes that came with it.

2010/10/24 11:58
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

I remember when first being saved (2009) I planed on fasting every other day for the entire year. I was praying for the Fear of the Lord to fall in the area. I made it for about 8 months of this and then the Lord told me to stop along with family who was worried about my health.

I started out with a heart to really see change take place however it simply became a religious activity and I lost connection with my cause, now I pray the same prayer minus the fasting. I think the longest I have gone is 7 days it was interesting to say the least :).

I agree with all the former post that say the intention and heart must be correct.

2010/10/24 14:19Profile

Re:

Quote:
I started out with a heart to really see change take place however it simply became a religious activity and I lost connection with my cause

I am glad that you stopped. The fast that I plan to do is something that I have been planning for quite some time and though I did not for the longest time feel that the Lord was in it, that it was all me, but yesterday I felt His direction in it. Even though initially it might have looked like it came from me, but it's His desire that sparked my interest.

I love fasting, and praying is so much easier. One is determined to pray even with little sleep, and getting up in the middle of the night is an opportunity to pray more. I look forward to afflicting my soul and denying the flesh it's idiosyncrasies and putting the computer of distraction away for a month.

Someone might be thinking, why wait for the new year as if your doing some new years resolution?

Good question, the answer is, I have family. And I have to prepare them for this sabbatical. We do many things together and if I just dropped them like a rock, I'd shock them and could very well damage my relationship with them and that simply is not worth doing. It took years to be reconciled to my family with God interceding and I want to respect His work, not try to destroy it over my inconsiderate whims.

2010/10/24 16:42
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Lu 5:34 And he said unto them, Can ye make the children of the bridechamber fast, while the bridegroom is with them?

Lu 5:35 But the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then shall they fast in those days.

Who are we to fast for? This fasting is not food or drink, but because He is not with us physically. He is in us in Spirit, so the Bridegroom is now not only with us but in us.

What did this man receive when he fasted twice a week. Only the humble man went down to his house justified. Our Fast is wanting to fall at His feet and put our arms around Him and feel Him as He is and we as known of Him. Joy untouchable, embracing Jesus Christ our brother and Lord and our Savior and God.

Luke 18:11-14 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Jas 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

1Pe 5:5 Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.

1Pe 5:6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:

Is fasting in this world in food and drink what makes us humble.

Humble yourselves and seek His face and He will lift you up.

Jesus is our fast, "come Lord Jesus".

Revelation 22:20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

This is true fasting, "Even so, come Lord Jesus. While He is away in the body He now has and ours will be like His, this is our fast, wanting to be with the Lord so much that our spirit faints with His leaving and our longing to be with Him.

Fast and Pray, Mark 13:33 Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is.

Mark 14:38 Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak.

This is my prayer and fast; Luke 21:36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

Christ truly is our Fast.

In Christ: Phillip

2010/10/25 3:14Profile

Re:

I've heard many reasons to fast, and why we should do it. However true those reasons are, or may be, when I fast I'm not sure what what is actually accomplished in me, accept one thing.

Fasting isn't a way to get God to move on my behalf, or kind of like a, "I'm doing my part, now it's time you do Yours" sort of thing.

The only thing that really changes is my ability to hear clearly. It's like taking the earmuffs off of my spirit. That alone has been worth it, and is not only wonderful, but absolutely crucial.

To not fast IMHO, would be the same sort of robbery from your own relationship with God as would be to not pray, or to not give when The Lord tells you. Take that how you may.

2010/10/29 10:59

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy