SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Tabernacle of David

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Yes, of the church. But not specifically the churches of the Gentiles.

Indeed, we must be careful to guard ourselves against the tendency to equate the Church as simply a gentile phenomenon. I've seen some well meaning students of the word equate the two. But the two are not one in the same. The Church belongs to Jew and Gentile alike.

2010/10/6 12:23Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

If only we could learn to agree with the apostles of the New Covenant, and their interpretation of Scripture.

In Acts 15 James takes this passage from Amos about the restoration of the tabernacle of David and applies it to something that was happening right at that very moment. Amos' prophecy of God building again the tabernacle of David-- at least according to the apostle James-- was something that referred to the church.

Yet many teachers who, it seems, know better than James, disagree with him, and teach that God will yet restore the earthly order, and the tabernacle of David will be set up again in the earthly Zion in earthly Jerusalem... in the day God restores the kingdom to natural Israel.

That's bad exegesis. They will wait for that in vain. The tabernacle of David was originally set up on Mount Zion of old. It was an earthly hill in an earthly city. But its fulfillment, according to a New Covenant apostle, is in THE CHURCH... which is in the heavenly Zion in the heavenly Jerusalem, at least according to another apostle of the New Covenant, that is (Heb. 12.18-23).

...I think I will go with those guys. To spiritualize the Scriptures the way they did-- and it was not they who did it but the Holy Spirit that was in them, the Spirit of the Lord Jesus Christ-- is the only way to interpret them aright.

2010/10/6 13:44Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I'm curious, do you believe Isaiah 53 was generally interpreted by the Lord and his apostles literally, or spiritually?

2010/10/6 16:54Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: The Tabernacle of David

After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up: That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things. Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world." Acts 15:15-18

The cause:

Quote:

After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up

The resulting effect:

Quote:

That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things. Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world."

The cause: Jesus Christ raised up again the fallen house of David, and sat upon the empty throne.

The effect: Men amongst the Gentiles seeking the Lord

One does not need to "spiritualize" anything here. The apostle simply used a literal interpretation of the passage.

There are indeed passages the apostles quote in other instances that they use in a spiritualized context. But this isn't one of them.

2010/10/6 17:04Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Quote:
There are indeed passages the apostles quote in other instances that they use in a spiritualized context. But this isn't one of them.

If this is to be interpreted strictly literally, how can the church be the fulfillment of the tabernacle of David (which it is)? For the church is not a literal tent on an earthly hill in an earthly city.

2010/10/6 17:13Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I'm not sure by your last post, but I think you misunderstood my point. The church isn't the tabernacle of David, Jesus is. David's throne was left empty with the exile, and even upon return to the land. Jesus in His Messianic role restored the fallen house (tabernacle) of David.

Clear???

2010/10/6 17:25Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Quote:
I'm curious, do you believe Isaiah 53 was generally interpreted by the Lord and his apostles literally, or spiritually?

Jimmy, there are many Scriptures that Christ, when He came in the flesh, fulfilled literally. I do believe there is yet a greater fulfillment of a lot of them, but certainly He fulfilled many Scriptures literally.

I believe that He was literally born in Bethlehem. I believe Mary his mother was, literally, a virgin. I believe He died on a literal Cross... and was actually, physically raised from the dead.

Hope that satisfies your curiosity.

...But I'll just add this: I don't know why people get scared of talk about spiritualizing the Scriptures. The spiritual dimension is the realm of the true, the real. Spiritual reality is REAL. To spiritualize the Scriptures is not to theorize them, or to etherealize them... as though they now have no real substance and reality. There is an order God has established: first the natural, then the spiritual. "Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural, and afterward that which is spiritual" (1 Cor. 15.46).

And so, after the resurrection, Christ ascended to the Throne of David in the heavenly Zion, and sent forth His Holy Spirit into His waiting disciples. And His apostles by the Spirit of the ascended Christ now took many Old Testament passages and interpreted them in a new light. And... what can be said? It's just awesome, just awesome, these things they set forth! May our Lord in mercy anoint our eyes with eyesalve, and grace our eyes to see!

...I always go by the rule that the Old Testament Scriptures must be interpreted now, and seen now, in the Light of the New, always with the help of the Holy Spirit, of course.

If we can't acknowledge that, we are going to get very mixed up when it comes to interpreting Scripture. We will truly be out to sea without steerage... though not literally, of course. :)

2010/10/6 17:34Profile
MyVeryHeart

Paradise, California

Re:

Quote:
The church isn't the tabernacle of David, Jesus is

Is the bride one with Jesus? Of course the bride that is walking in disobedience to the covenant is not one with the Lord but is married to another, for it is his image of the beast that she takes. Which bride are you? from the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.

2010/10/6 17:49Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Quote:
I'm not sure by your last post, but I think you misunderstood my point. The church isn't the tabernacle of David, Jesus is. David's throne was left empty with the exile, and even upon return to the land. Jesus in His Messianic role restored the fallen house (tabernacle) of David.

I don't know where you get this, Jimmy. I don't see anywhere in Scripture that the tabernacle of David is the "fallen house of David."

The tabernacle of David was that tent that David set up on Mount Zion and into which he brought the ark of the Covenant instead of returning it to the old tabernacle which was set up at Gibeon.

Quote:
The church isn't the tabernacle of David, Jesus is.

No, Jesus is the King who sits IN the tabernacle of David... on the Throne of David in the heavenly Zion, ruling and reigning over all. That has powerful implications.

For the tabernacle of David-- at least according to the apostle James' interpretation of Scripture-- is the church.

...I do think I understand why you don't want to acknowledge this. It's because of that teaching that when Jesus returns he'll set up the tabernacle of David in old Jerusalem and rule from there, from that earthly Zion hill in natural Israel. James didn't seem to know that teaching, apparently. In Acts 15, he related the prophecy of the tabernacle of David to the church.

2010/10/6 17:54Profile

Re:

But Christ as a son over his own house; WHOSE HOUSE ARE WE, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.
Hebrews 3:6

2010/10/6 17:59

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy