SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How do you know God is pleased with you?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Yep, one is born-again in a minute, but it takes a lifetime to make a Son.

2010/10/24 19:02

Re: How do you know God is pleased with you?

Hi Pilgrim

Quote:
but it takes a lifetime to make a Son.

I've heard this preached, but where is it in scripture?

Apart from looking at the progression through Jesus' life from babyhood to manhood, ministry and death, where growing maturity is inevitable, and using snapshots from the Old Testament, where under the New Covenant is that hypothesis shown to be true for us?

I'm interested, because it's not how I understand the gift of the Holy Spirit to be.

2010/10/24 20:06

Re:

A son is an heir. We have been adopted into the family of God and have been made sons because of Christ. To be Born-Again is to have the Spirit of the Risen and exalted Christ living inside of us. We now call God "Abba Father". This is our inheritance. Only sons call God Abba Father.

2010/10/24 20:44

Re:

What I mean when I say it "takes a lifetime to make a son", is that it takes a lifetime to bring one to maturity, to yieldness to the Lord. Yes, we are sons when we are born-again. Then comes a lifetime of God's dealings in our lives to mature us and conform us to the image of Christ.

I like this quote by Oliver Peng and I understand exactly what he is saying.

"Sonship is not an instantaneous thing. It takes both time and
travail. Someone said very well, “The conversion of sinners takes a
moment; the construction of saints takes a lifetime.” Sonship requires a
lifetime. A son is not formed miraculously; it takes both time and
tribulation."

2010/10/24 22:49
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:

I believe it is in scripture but we need to have a biblical concept of adoption and sonship. Ancient Eastern customs differ from our Western concepts.

In Eastern lands it was common for a noble-father to submit his infant son to child training by a trusted household servant. This was possible because many servants were captives from civilized nations and were educated and qualified to serve as a pedagogue, or child-trainer. The child was entrusted into such a child-trainer's care until they would come of age.

During this time the child was no different than a servant even though he was heir apparent. During this long time of training it was the tutor's job to teach the child the ways, purposes, and spirit of the father of the family. Finally at around fourteen to sixteen years of age the child came into all his rights as a son and a formal ceremony was held, this ceremony was called adoption. The adopted son was the father's own child; he was not from another family as we understand adoption in the West.

So from Romans 8 we can see four aspects of sonship;

1) We receive and walk in the Spirit (V. 14,16)
2) The Spirit of adoption comes to us as the indwelling trainer (v.15)
3) We await the unveiling or manifestation of the sons of God (v.19)
4) Full sonship or adoption comes when we receive our heavenly house from above. (v.23)

In Christ,

Ron

2010/10/24 23:17Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:

This verse indicates that it is a process:

"But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit." 2Corinthians 3:18 NASB

Here is another:

I affirm, brethren, by the boasting in you which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily. 1Corinthians 15:31 NASB

These are the scriptures that come to my mind in answer to this question.

2010/10/24 23:26Profile

Re:

The original question was, " How do you know God is pleased with you?"

While I completely and totally agree that all christians are in a "process" of being conformed into the image of Christ, that does not negate the fact that we are already sons. Even Miss ginnyrose is a son because "son", in that context, does not mean a male or a boy, but it means an heir. Like the "firstborn son" we are heirs to our Father's inheritance because we are in Christ. And in Christ, there is neither Jew, nor Greek, nor male, nor female. He is the First Born of the New Creation, and all believers are in Him. That really is what the whole book of Galatians is about.

To be like Him, to be conformed into His image is our inheritance. When we see Him, we shall be like Him. Again, I agree, we are being changed into His image, we are in a process, but we are in that process because we are already sons. We have been sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise unto the day of redemption (when even our fleshly bodies will be glorified) and the Holy Spirit is the earnest, the downpayment of our inheritance. We are already seated with Him in heavenly places. In a sense, we are already home with Him because He lives in us as the ascended victorious Christ. Its done!

So back to the original question, " How do you know God is pleased with you?"

Look to Christ. Look up for our redemption draweth nigh!

2010/10/24 23:57
Josef83

Sweden

we are all like the Friends of Job.
Lets be honest and reply I dont know if we dont know :-)

2010/10/25 1:49Profile
HappyTrials

Rev 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and FOR THY PLEASURE they are and were created.

The words "for Thy pleasure" in the Greek actually mean "IT PLEASED GOD TO CREATE" In other words, it made Him happy to create YOU!

Therefore, It pleased God to create YOU....He had you in His mind before He created the foundations of the earth!

AND THERE IS THIS VERSE:
Hbr 11:6 But without faith [it is] impossible to please [him]: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and [that] he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

God makes it VERY SIMPLE....It is man that makes it complicated.

The definition of FAITH in the Greek and Hebrew is:
to depend upon fully; to believe; to trust; to put confidence in

GOD LOVES YOU....HIS ONLY MOTIVE IN EVERYTHING HE DOES IS PERFECT LOVE.....HOLINESS IS PERFECT LOVE

2010/10/25 2:39Profile

Re:

There is nothing we can do to please God except this one thing and we will be judged on it alone. Did we believe on the name of the Son of God, Jesus, His only Son. Did we trust in Him for our righteousness. Was our faith, the kind of faith that Abraham had. That was accounted to us for righteousness?

This "belief" is knowing Him, trusting in Him and relying on Him in ALL things, giving Him 100% of our heart.

He will either "know us" or He will say, "I never knew you".

That's it! The question should not be, "Is God pleased with me", because that is thinking of self. The question should be, "How do I please God?" Look to Jesus and only Jesus.

I like this quote by Oliver Peng and I understand exactly what he is saying.

"Sonship is not an instantaneous thing. It takes both time and
travail. Someone said very well, “The conversion of sinners takes a
moment; the construction of saints takes a lifetime.” Sonship requires a
lifetime. A son is not formed miraculously; it takes both time and
tribulation."

He is talking about the experiential process of sanctification. Walking out our walk and learning from God's dealings in our life to be yielded and obedient.

2010/10/25 9:14

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy