SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : The Reformation: Something Really Powerful

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 The Reformation: Something Really Powerful

[img]http://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

A German priest smashed a really big pumpkin 487 years ago today.

Ghosts, witches, slasher-movie mass murderers, vampires, and other Halloween freaks can't hold a flickering jack-o'-lantern to the power of the paper Martin Luther nailed to the Wittenberg church door.

Luther had spent years studying the Bible and especially St. Paul's letter to the Romans, and found a big gap between what he read and what he lived as a monk, theologian, teacher, musician, and priest in the Catholic Church, said the Rev. Susan Honn, pastor of Grace Lutheran Church in Casper.

Pope Leo X, whose debt-ridden church was about to build what is now St. Peter's Basilica in Rome, had begun a continental fund-raising drive in 1517 by selling lots of indulgences, pieces of paper bought by the faithful to spring their deceased relatives from Purgatory.

The Wittenberg priest deemed this "the pious defrauding of the faithful," while other Germans just called it "Roman bloodsucking," according to Luther biographer James Kittelson.

"As a result, on All Hallows Eve, Oct. 31, 1517, he nailed a document containing 95 theses (statements) that he would like to debate with church leaders," Honn said.

Debates about indulgences ensued, as did Luther's excommunication, along with persecutions, wars, hymns, and other events now known as the Reformation.

2004/10/31 18:26Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re: The Reformation: Something Really Powerful

Quote:
"As a result, on All Hallows Eve, Oct. 31, 1517, he nailed a document containing 95 theses (statements) that he would like to debate with church leaders," Honn said.

Its amazing that today is a rembrance of the reformation movement that God working forming seperate churches from the catholic church so many years ago. What a great thing to remember and praise God for His faithfulness this day were most are thinking of ghosts, goblins, witches, and other dark things. There is a light shining in the darkness its the word of God which stands forever.

2004/10/31 18:27Profile
moreofHim

Re: reformation

Quote:
Its amazing that today is a rembrance of the reformation movement that God working forming seperate churches from the catholic church so many years ago. What a great thing to remember and praise God for His faithfulness this day

Thanks for this reminder. I needed it as I pass out candy to all the "ghosts and witches" right now. Trying to let Jesus shine out to them. :-o

This year our candy bars say "You are special to me. Love, Jesus" So instead of Snickers or Hersheys- this is right on the front. :-) on full size candy bars!

In Him, Chanin

2004/10/31 18:57Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
This year our candy bars say "You are special to me. Love, Jesus" So instead of Snickers or Hersheys- this is right on the front

Wow thats awesome chanin. Yea if I was a kid and got full size choclate bars it would be something that would stick out in my mind! Its awesome to hear about the love of Jesus being spread on a night when peoples minds are mostly far from that.

2004/10/31 19:04Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy