SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A Still Small Voice???

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

A Still Small Voice???

And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice. (1 Kings 19:12; KJV)

Many have taught over the years, and have used this verse to justify the teaching, that when the Holy Spirit leads us, he does so through a "still small voice." I would just like to ask a question for the purpose of thoughtful discussion: is there any Biblical basis to this assertion? Does this verse truly justify this teaching?

It should be noted, that some major translations, such as the NASB, do not translate this verse with "still small voice." Instead, it renders it "a gentle blowing." Which from my personal study, seems like a perfectly acceptable alternative translation.

What say all you Bible scholars out there?

2010/9/30 18:25Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: A Still Small Voice???

If one were to look at this verse in context, translating the Hebrew to be "still small voice" doesn't seem contextually warranted. For all the phenomenon Elijah had exeprienced in this passage of Scripture had to do with natural phenomenon. Thus:

1) Strong wind
2) Earth Quake
3) Fire
4) Gentle Blowing (instead of "still small voice")

And the emphasis here in the context seems be the "gentle" nature of God vs. that of the violent and dramatic. And if there was a still small voice, how come we aren't told what that still small voice said to Elijah? Yet, just moments later, we are told what the conversation is.

"My sheep know my voice..." seems to be the Biblical mantra. Not "a still small voice."

...just some thoughts...

*edited for content*

2010/9/30 18:31Profile

I don't know about scholar, but studier yes.

"Still" as in "waiting for."

"Small" as in "beanpole thin."

"Voice" is the word QoL and means "to speak loudly."

Personally with the consideration of the glyphics for the root words, what has come to be realized of this is that God waited for the completion of the (para-)natural tumult, and spoke.

(kind of like when we get silent with all the concerns out of the way in prayer, and then God has room to get a word in edgewise ("small").

God wants our undivided heart's attention.

God speaks quiet to me often, but it's wondered if it isn't in these times that He does not have my full undivided heart's attention.
(It's when every other concern is just dropped or left standing that He is heard most clearly, and His voice to me becomes very moving/active and hardly small at all.)

The above is just one (of how many billion) humans perception. Perhaps others will clarify this further and/or better.

Grace and Peace to you in Jesus Christ,
g

2010/9/30 18:51
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

I believe it was some short time after this event that God spoke in a very loud voice and the children of Israel were left quaking in their sandals and asked Moses to ask God not to do that anymore.

God speaks to us in a variety of different ways. Revelation of His word, direct witness in our spirit by the Holy Spirit, spontaneous images or thoughts in our minds, dreams, visions, gifts of the Spirit (words of wisdom, knowledge, or prophecy), or even an audible voice. I have experienced all but the audible voice. The important thing to realize is that God's personal word spoken to us will never be in violation of his written word to us.

2010/9/30 20:25Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

I am in complete agreement with Travis on this, God can speak to us in anyway He wants, but what He says will never violate His word of Love.

Where we start to run into problems is when "God speaks" and its in complete contradiction to His word and known character. Anytime I have ever heard God speak to me through the Holy Spirit it has always been pointing me to the obvious truth of His Word. I have only heard what I thought was the audible voice of the Lord once and it was to stop me from commiting suicide and it was most certianly gentle.

2010/9/30 20:42Profile
Jeremy221

Personally, I have found the still small voice to be the most common way the Lord speaks to me. However, the Spirit has spoken much louder when there was a time sensitive issue and I am distracted by something and not walking in the spirit.

On a related note, have any of you noticed a different 'voice' when reading different things? From what I can tell personally, it seems like I can hear the voice of the author, not as an audible voice but the summation of intention and personality. However, with highly edited writing, like newspapers and magazines where there is input from several individuals, it is often muddled or neutral. I think this is related to recognizing the voice of God through reading the Word. Whether we can define the voice spoken to our spirit, the intent and character are evident. The closer we are walking with the Lord, the less there will be in us that is ungodly but familiar to our spirit and/or mind's ear. Familiarity is what can deceive the untrained soul because it does not know God as deep calling to deep. It is still relating in the mind/soul.

2010/9/30 21:28Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Thank you all for your input. And while I greatly value the input of others personal experiences, I would like to ask that we keep this about what the Scriptures have to say on the topic-- if anything.

What saith the Scriptures?

2010/9/30 21:51Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Brother Jimmy,

I believe I have asked the very same question here before.

I think the important thing to perceive here is that the "still small voice" in the Bible was in fact an audible voice. However, those who apply this verse to their own experience today morph the voice into an inaudible voice that "speaks" to them in their heart/mind. I don't believe the Scriptures warrant making that application.

With care in Christ...

2010/9/30 23:29Profile
Jeremy221

Re: Stillness

Went and reread the passage in 1 Kings 19 and the issue has nothing to do with the volume of the voice. The passage begins with the letter Jezebel sent to Elijah, something that had no physical, audio counterpart. After the Lord tests Elijah, feeds him and sends him forty days to Mount Horeb. Jezebel's letter threatened Elijah's life in the physical sphere from her place of authority with brash and angry language but God, before whom Elijah stands, made him wait and wait still hearing voice of God but not related to that subject. Only after confronting him with all the earthly terrors of the natural world did God speak about this. God was showing Elijah that he knew his God and did not fear the physical world. Then He gave him a mission to anoint two kings and Elisha. Here was God's answer to Jezebel's threat. God reinterated his authority under which Elijah had done all his work. What Elijah had feared was the authority of Jezebel but in the still small voice and subsequent commands God renewed Elijah's sight of that.

Still small voice or roll of thunder, God is not contained by any set presentation. There is something to be said of the authority of the voice rather than the volume. We are warned to be wary of deceiving spirits because the devil can make himself appear as an angel of light but his tongue bears the same fruit from the abundance of his heart. For that reason we must be careful and test the spirits to see if they be of God. The evil one and his angels can also speak in a still small voice and lead us astray.

2010/10/1 1:25Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

HI Jimmy
thanks for your note

Quote:
Many have taught over the years, and have used this verse to justify the teaching, that when the Holy Spirit leads us, he does so through a "still small voice." I would just like to ask a question for the purpose of thoughtful discussion: is there any Biblical basis to this assertion? Does this verse truly justify this teaching?
[/quote

No I don't believe it does. It would be a very narrow and somewhat shaky foundation to build a doctrine on no matter how it is translated.

2010/10/1 5:20Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy