SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Why no representation of 2k year history?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Why no representation of 2k year history?

I'm just wondering. But why is there SO MUCH material from the past two or three centuries but very few from the past 2,000 years of Christian devotional and theological writing and thought?

It is as though the impression this site gives is that it does not have a hermeneutic of continuity back to the days of the apostles. Was the Christian revelation lost?

Please take this as constructive and not destructive critique.

Peace

2010/9/25 14:59
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Why no representation of 2k year history?

You will find histories of Flavius Josephus,
the confessions of Saint Augustine,
writings of Thomas a Kempis, the early
Puritans, from Jonathan Edwards and George
Whitefield and David Brainerd here on this
site!!

2010/9/25 15:12Profile

Re: Why no representation of 2k year history?

the tyranny of rome, thats why.

can you get fruit from a thorn bush?

2010/9/25 15:16

Re:

There is over a thousand year gap between Josephus and a'Kempis. The overwhelming majority of material on this site is from the past two or three centuries.

I appreciate your enthusiastic answer. It just was not helpful. I don't know a nicer way to say it.

Peace

2010/9/25 15:45

Re:

Quote:
by Natan4Jesus on 2010/9/25 9:16:39 the tyranny of rome, thats why. can you get fruit from a thorn bush?

So you believe that the gates of hell prevailed against the Church? Do you sincerely believe that Christianity was snuffed out for 1500 years?

Preposterous!

We have writings from the apostels to the very men who knew them and on through every generation until this one. So were are they?

2010/9/25 15:48
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re:

May I ask what you hoped to find??
There are writings here from Miguel
Molinos, St. John of the Cross, and
Francois Fenelon.
Most of the school of thought is
reformed theology, and has to do
with revivals.

2010/9/25 15:56Profile

Re: onetruereligion

onetruefaith

You present a straw man argument.
You made a statement that nation4Jesus did not make
and you answer it.
what is your motive?

2010/9/25 16:00

Re:

Quote:
by sojourner7 on 2010/9/25 9:56:50 May I ask what you hoped to find?? There are writings here from Miguel Molinos, St. John of the Cross, and Francois Fenelon. Most of the school of thought is reformed theology, and has to do with revivals.

Ah, finally an appropriate answer. Thank you. This is at least a start. I have some questions for you.

1. If this is primarily a reformed theology site, then why do I find Wesley, Finney, and Ravenhill?

2. The site does indeed state it's purpose to post material about "revivals." So when did revivalism start? Did the Church only need revivalism in the past two or three centuries? Still a bit confusing. But at least you are helping me.

3. Why St. John of the Cross if "Rome" makes Nathan baulk so much?

4. Do you have any idea why the info here is so lopsided toward modern preachers?

Thanks!!!!!

2010/9/25 16:13

Re:

Quote:
by Notdarkyet on 2010/9/25 10:00:15 onetruefaith You present a straw man argument. You made a statement that nation4Jesus did not make and you answer it. what is your motive?

No he did not make the statement that the gates of hell prevailed against the Church. But isn't this the effect. He apparently thinks that Satan was SO successful that he practically snuffed out Christianity from the world for a millennium and a half (give or take a few centuries).

So what about my statement was a straw man? I'm not seeing it.

2010/9/25 16:16
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re:

Wesley, Finney, and Leonard Ravenhill
are known for being revival preachers.

I mentioned St. John of the Cross
[and many other early fathers of faith] to
show this site is not lopsided toward
modern preachers.

Still don't know what you are seeking;
so it is hard to help you find it!!