SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Google Instant But For The Bible!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Google Instant But For The Bible!

Greetings Brothers and Sisters,

I recently wrote a small webpage that is like Google "Instant" but for searching the Bible. You can search by a keyword (ex. "faith", "love", or "love Christ") and get results, or you can search by reference (ex. "Exo 2:2-4", "1 Tim 2-4", etc.)

Clicking on the link beside a verse will show you the whole chapter.

www.swiftbible.com

Please post on Facebook, Twitter, etc. to spread the word! Also, let me know of any improvements you would like to see!

Enjoy!
Taylor

2010/9/16 9:46Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Google Instant But For The Bible!

Intresting idea brother.

there is a php error when I click on any results right now. Also it would look better if you re-designed a logo for it and centered it in the page like the google search engine.

great start!

2010/9/16 9:50Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Thanks for the tips, Greg! Do you still get the PHP error now?

2010/9/16 10:16Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Hi Taylor,

I know there is a lot of search programs out there, but I like this one for its simplicity and its very quick. So if you just want to search a word it works well.

It would work well as an app for i-phones. Any chance to make it available for android?

2010/9/16 10:46Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Heydave,

I have no experience developing mobile apps. But, if someone does I would certainly work with them to make it happen!

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2010/9/16 10:48Profile
SolaVeritas

SK Canada

Re:

Wow, this is fast! I like it.
I would change two minor things, almost more like preferences: I really dislike the pink for the verses and I would like to be able to click on the logo to go back to the home page. Not that these things really matter. Other than that, it took me some time to figure out where to type, since I could barely see that on my screen, it's so light.

2010/9/16 22:07Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

I just made a major update to the site and added some really cool new features.

You can string words together to find verses containing all of those words (e.g. "light life" only returns verses with both words)... You can search references (e.g. John 3:16-18)... You can search exact phrases by using quotation marks around your search phrase...

And, my personal favorite feature, you can limit your search using the "+" sign... searching for "prov 1 + wisdom" will return all occurrences of "wisdom" in Proverbs 1. "John 1-2 + light" will show you all occurences of "light" in John 1-2.

Most searches return in about 150 milliseconds. There is no need to press "enter" to search, the results will update live!

Please spread the word and click the Facebook "like" button if you enjoy using it!

2010/9/17 0:46Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

great work brother! something i would find very helpful and use a lot is references, so if possible in the future to add maybe a "+ box" under each verse in search result and if clicking that you would find "reference verses" to the verse you are interested in finding similar verses, i can imagine such a thing would be very much work :) but treasury of scriptural knowledge is a very useful tool using for reference.

just an idea brother, you did great so far!

2010/9/17 1:49Profile
fromtheold

South Africa

Re:

Brilliant!

Very nice web app

2010/9/17 9:02Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

That is a great site, if I could add something that I think would be handy but not necessary would be the ability to gather certain scriptures you into a list, like the scriptures you want to use you after searching a certain word placing an plus or a check box for the scriptures you want to focus on and then it adds to a list which you can refer to once you are done searching what you want. I hope that helps :) Awesome, Simple, and accessible.

2010/9/17 9:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy