Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : My joyless christian life

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Shamefaced

My joyless christian life

Hi all,
I'm curious if anyone else has felt the way I do as of late: Every morning I wake up and often my first thought is "you must read your bible and pray, you haven't done that yet" but it is not with a spirit of desire, but rather one of "law keeping" so to speak. My entire Christian walk has been turned into one of do this/do that, no joy, no relaxation without feeling guilty about not reading or praying more. I haven't been to church for nearly two months because it feels like the same old thing. What to do?

2010/9/14 16:33Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: My joyless christian life

If you look upon the Savior
as your Friend; you won't let
a day pass by without talking
with HIM, sharing with HIM
your doubts, your dreams,
your hopes, your fears, your
worries. You would want to
spend time with HIM and walk
with HIM on the journey of
life!!

2010/9/14 16:38Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

You will never recover from this unless you are honest with God and acknowledge it to him. Confess your lack of Joy. Tell him your sin. He wants to take your burden and replace it with His. Walk in the Spirit! One of the flesh and the devils greatest tricks is to make you think that when you are more joyful then the Lord is blessing you.

"Blessed are those which hunger and thirst after righteousness."

Did you consider that your lack may be thirst?

2010/9/14 16:38Profile
mguldner

Kansas

You and I are in the same exact boat my friend, You should check out the thread "Just so bitter" I started it but can't take credit for the Godly counsel found in it. Those that have posted on it have encouraged me greatly.

As to your bible reading, I understand that as well. Before all of this dissatisfation started I was reading out of 5 different translations along with some of my study notes. I felt the same guilt and condemnation you are describing. How I fixed it was this stopped trying so hard and started to focus on the quality of my reading and living rather than that I read. Meditating on small portion and applying to my heart rather my head.

I hope this helps in some way but please know you are not alone, these desert experiences are only temporary. The Lord uses them in a way to make us hunger and thirst for Him in a deeper way.

2010/9/14 16:44Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

"My" opinion is that I think "sometimes" in the early stages of Christianity that joy follows obedience, while later on by God's grace, that it just becomes joyful to obey, the motive shifts so-to speak, as Jesus reveals Himself more to one's soul. I don't think it's like this everyone, but God is no respector of persons when it comes to His children. Colin Peckham has said, "When you 'see' Jesus consecration is easy." I would spend much much time exercising the soul in faith to see Christ friend.

2010/9/14 17:36Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re:

What I mean is, study who Christ Jesus is, study what He has done for His children, what He went through as God-man here on earth.... these Heavenly things; renewing your mind in Heavenly contemplation. Pray much even when your body or mind doesn't feel like it; for they are Christ's now, so bring them into subjection for you are @ war friend with your own flesh, as well as the world & the devil.

2010/9/14 18:07Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, the joy of the Lord is your strength...joy is the result of knowing that God loves you as in second person singular...Jesus looked down the years of time and died for you and called out your name and wrote it in the Lambs book of life.he not only loves you he knows you and still loves you and is now interceding to the Father on your behalf...you will never read your bible or pray enough to do anything that would impress the Father on your behalf... Jesus has done it all for you and inherits your praises for He alone is worthy...no religeous activity compares...i worship Him because while i was yet a sinner he died for me personally and i know Him intimately and He Knows me.jimp

2010/9/14 19:00Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi Shamefaced...

I understand your feelings. One thing to remember is that we all go through "seasons." Sometimes, we may not feel a need or desire for God (at least, on the surface), but the need is still very real.

Sometimes, I don't feel like getting up and going to work.
Sometimes, I don't feel like doing my work well.
Sometimes, I don't feel like eating breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Sometimes, I don't feel like showering.
Sometimes, I don't feel like showing love to my wife. (yikes!)

But I do these things (and more) anyway...because it is a responsibility. It is important to stop viewing such things as restrictive obligations -- but wonderful opportunities. Could you imagine if you didn't have the opportunity to do such things?

I spoke with a brother in the Lord who was recently divorced. He had taken his wife for granted and "thought" that he didn't "love" her or "desire" her any longer. He said that he treated her like she was a "nuisance." She eventually became fed up with his lack of loving attention, so she left him. Now, this same man who didn't "feel" love for his wife is hurting because she is gone.

I suppose that many believers don't know how much of an opportunity they have to serve the Lord! We have freedom of worship, plenty of Bibles, churches, online sermons, Christian books, Christian CDs, homes, jobs, Christian families, and plenty of other "blessings" from God! Yet, I fear that we often take it all for granted as much as that one man did his wife.

Reading your Bible is not a "requirement" -- but a need and opportunity. You can easily turn away and place it on a shelf and ignore it. No obligation there! However, the need and opportunity have presented themselves to you -- that many people in history have never had.

Brother, during "dry seasons" like this, I would urge you to "keep on keeping on." The Word of God is our very subsistence for life! If you feel like you are "obligated," then read the Word like you would a book. After all, there is power in the words in the Word. It is like water to the soul! Remember that, through simple prayer, you have the opportunity to speak with the Creator of the whole universe! Nothing is off limits or off topic to speak with Him about! You can even talk to Him about the dryness that you are feeling! What an opportunity to pour out our souls like a drink offering via prayer and prayerful worship!

I will be praying for you, brother. However, I think that many of us have felt as you do. God will bring you through it! Be encouraged!

Matthew 11:28-30
Psalm 1
Jeremiah 17:7-10

2010/9/14 19:29Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re:

I believe I shared a bit of this on the bitterness thread but I feel one of the biggest factors in believes feeling like is because they become stagnant pools. Constantly taking in the word, but very little giving out. If we want the water of life to flow through our lives we must allow it to flow out to others.

The most fulfilled folks I know are those who get off their lazy chair and love, and feed the poor at homeless shelters, visit and share the gospel at nursing homes, mental hospitals, and make the rejects of the world family.

We will be overstuffed, dusty, and dry if we don't allow, and give the Living Water a place to flow. When we reach out in love to the most unlovely we find joy and new refreshing for ourselves. Jesus walked through life touching people all along the way, we just become spiritual sponges, finally reaching a point where we can hold no more. At that point if there is no outflow we are miserable.

Check out guys like Francis Chan and Shane Claiborne. Love has action behind it. Otherwise it stagnates. When we step out and give our lives as a living sacrifice we find the missing piece that connects it all to Jesus. We will find that we don't have precious time to waste on thinking about ourselves any longer, but it is in losing our lives that we find them. How many times can you read "Jesus wept", and have it mean anything to you, unless you weep with Him? We need to be doers of the word.

2010/9/14 23:20Profile
Wordizlife

I have felt like this before. In my opinion it is just best to come before God in prayer, and confess this spirit of "law keeping" that you have about prayer and reading the Bible.

I believe that God will speak to your heart about your guilt and legalism problem.

Change might not happen instantly but keep seeking an answer from the Lord, He will come through for you.

God bless y'all

2010/9/15 0:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy