SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Rosh Hashanah, do you celebrate it?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
fromtheold

South Africa

Rosh Hashanah, do you celebrate it?

Just wondering, we celebrate Rosh Hashanah as the new year. Does anyone else do the same?

2010/9/8 10:19Profile

Re: Rosh Hashanah, do you celebrate it?

Why would a Christian celebrate Rosh Hashanah? It's not a sin to celebrate it, but why would we?

2010/9/8 10:38
fromtheold

South Africa

Re:

Because it is the same as to why people would celebrate new year. The earth and all that therein is 5771 years old, it makes us think about creation and reminds us that the earth is not millions of years old and was created by the ALMIGHTY GOD.

The feast of the trumpets is also a time to blow the shofar and to wake people out of their sleep and call them to repentance.

2010/9/8 11:33Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

If I was a Jewish Christian I would probably keep the feasts and festivals of Israel - no problem.

But I don't see the need or reason to do this as a gentile believer, but as it says in regard to days -" let each man be fully persuaded in his own mind" romans 14:5

2010/9/8 11:51Profile

Re:

I can see your point in doing it simply as a reminder of God's greatness. The main thing, however, would be to make sure we dont start doing it as a way to "please God", or from some legalistic stand point. With something like this we would also need to be very careful not to look down on the Christians who choose not to participate in it.

The children of Israel were very prone to taking these good things and turning them into evil by making the end all and be all of their religion. They made following the Law more important than loving God.

We are no different. So this is something to be very careful with. Of course, we can do this in the New Testament church as well with all of our own traditions.

2010/9/8 12:15
fromtheold

South Africa

Re:

Yes, Rosh Hashanah is celebrated not because we have to but because we want to.

2010/9/8 12:17Profile
fromtheold

South Africa

Re:

HomeSkoolDad you have a good point.

I think most Christians that celebrate Rosh Hashanah would not do it from a legalistic standpoint since most that do celebrate it do it because they really want to and not because they have to.

2010/9/8 12:27Profile

Re:

Quote:
The earth and all that therein is 5771 years old

Where did this idea come from? I'm not saying I deny this, or anything of that sort, but for a statement like that to hold true, I'm going to need some proper evidence.

2010/9/8 12:40
fromtheold

South Africa

Re:

God created the earth and all that therein is in 7 days right?
It started on this day 5771 years ago.

2010/9/8 13:02Profile

Re:

Yea, this sounds like a rather bold proclamation. Creation started on this day? Maybe it did, but there is no way for us to know that for sure. It's like saying Jesus was born on Dec 25th. I think we're all fairly confident that He was not, and in the long run it doesn't really matter.

2010/9/8 13:08

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy