SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : The End of Denominations

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Joyful_Heart

Re:

Amen Goldminer!!! Well said! Brovo! Our God Reigns! Let Him Reign also in our hearts! And to have unity among the brethren. Then to see Him face to face. Glory to God!

2010/9/7 13:46Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Tom, you made some excellent points...

But then there are doctrinal differences, so how will you deal with them?

Some believe in OSAS, others believe you can lose your salvation; there are differences in how some interpret the endtimes: pre-trib, post-trib, mid-trib, pre-millenium, amillennism, etc; some believe holiness will characterize God's child, others will call that legalism; some believe in keeping the Lord's day holy, other say not; some believe in observing the Sabbath on Saturday and others say Sunday, others say not at all; some believe in head coverings and others say its observance smacks of legalism; in baptisms some believe in immersion, others pouring, others that it is not essential; some say baptism is essential for salvation and others say not; some believe in Biblical non-resistance and others say it is your duty to defend your country by serving in the military; some believe in speaking in unknown tongues, others say tongues means languages always; some believe the NT superceeds the OT in life and practice, others will say the scriptures is a flat book; some say divorce and remarriage is wrong and others say it is not; some say one should accept practicing homosexuals and others say no; some like contemporary music, other prefer traditional....and on and on and on.

How can a church function with all these differences?

ginnyrose

EDIT: Spellings

2010/9/7 14:20Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:

I have been watching this thread with some interest, but have not had the time to put in my two cents. God really spoke to me about this issue from the first three chapters of 1 Corinthians several years ago and totally changed my paradigm. Little did I realize that within a few years I would leave a denominational church to join with a group of people from all sorts of different backgrounds and experiences in the foundations of something that God is doing.

In 1 Cor. Paul admonishes the church there to be of one mind and one judgment and to all speak the same thing. He admonishes spiritual and doctrinal agreement. He then rebukes them and calls them immature and babes in Christ. He says that this is because of the divisions they were making among themselves. Some said I am of Paul, some of Apollos, some of Peter, and some of Christ. Three denominations and the "nondenominational" denomination if you will. The point is they were putting their eyes on their favorite teacher and not on Christ.

The particular denomination I was raised in started as a "movement" whose "founder" spoke strongly about it not being nor ever becoming a denomination or a sect. It was, in his eyes, simply a revival of pentecost, the faith of the apostles, and holiness that would spread among all church denominations. But for those who were born again and raised up into differing levels of maturity under this man's teaching, it became "their church". It became a denomination despite this man's warnings that it should never be so. To tell you how strong this is, I knew a young man full of the fire of God who tried to teach what the Holy Spirit laid on his heart in one of these churches. The people complained and said, "We don't want to hear that stuff. We want to hear more (name of denomination here) doctrine."

We get into trouble when we begin to revere the teachings of a particular man about the Word of God more than we revere the Word of God. We get into trouble when we begin to espouse the doctrines and creeds of a denomination above those of the Word of God. Hold the doctrines taught by man loosely and seek the truth of the Word of God prayerfully and diligently. When you see the doctrine of a man aligning itself with the Word, receive strength and ministry from it. When you see the doctrine of a man, or even your own interpretation beginning to run crossways with the Word, abandon your own or that of another man and cling to the Word.

I believe it is possible for us to speak the same thing. In our fellowship there are issues that come up from time to time where the teachings that different ones have received in the past come at odds. We must all then go to the Word of God, study diligently and prayerfully, and be willing to be changed by the Word. Above all we must remain in an attitude of love and deference to one another and stand side by side facing Christ and running hard after Him.

2010/9/7 17:35Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

HomeSkoolDad & Hippies

Not having read the entire thread either, I would simply like to take issue with the vast overstatement that HomeSkoolDad made in his post.

My issue is with his word “hippie,” including it with the "First Church of Crystal Powers and Resurrection Hippie-dom." (halleluyer!)

I just wanted to make sure everyone knows... not every hippie owns a crystal; sure, they may own a pot plant or two but definitely not every hippie owns a crystal; just wanted to make that clear.

God bless us all,
Lisa

---------------------------------
PS: HomeSkoolDad, I know you are new and did not want you to take this seriously; it's my pathetic attempt at humor!

2010/9/7 17:47Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

One thing I have discovered: Jesus still chooses to fellowship and live within people who hold these opposing points of view, and regularly ministers through them. If Jesus can fellowship and minister through people whom I disagree with theologically, then why can't I learn to do the same as my Master?

2010/9/7 18:08Profile

Re: The End of Denominations

Man makes denominations in everything. We call it that in the Church context but regardless of the group or hobby we splinter into factions.

The pattern is a Man gets a message, develops a method and it becomes a movement. In the true sense, Jesus gives the man the message in the first place.

There is nothing wrong with this pattern. Its the way its always been. The problem is many in the movement are never open to hear the next massage and get locked into what Jesus was doing rather than is doing. Or worse feel that the message or denomination of the hour or a 1000 years ago can ever take priority over our fellowship in Christ.

This takes place on the corporate structure side of the Church which is for many their full understanding of Church. They defer the responsibility to the man, message or movement and follow the person in front of them. But we are called to be an expression of the Church individually and then come together for the assembling of the corporate Christ. When this is done right its all Jesus and no man. I was fortunate to be at such a meeting on the weekend and the subjects of doctrine, denomination and affiliations never came up. Even though the leadership was clearly members of a group that has high opinions of all those things. They simply new how to put everything aside in the corporate setting that included people outside their box. And let Jesus be Jesus with his children. It was fantastic.

marc mc

2010/9/21 9:16

Re: The End of Denominations

Quote:
I believe the practical ramifications of this passage teaches that the Lord will eventually bring an end to the denominational and party spirit that exists within Christianity right now.

The only ramifications of the passage you quote is that there WERE NO denominations or parties within the Church. ALL of these ministry gifts preached and taught THE SAME THING.

Denominations are by definition heretical. Only Jesus can found a Church.

Peace.

2010/9/25 15:54
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Factions and those with part spirits were an early part of the church. Paul dealt with many such groups at Corinth. And their doctrines were diverse. Indeed, most of the New Testament epistles were written to combat the diversity of doctrine these churches were seeing.

2010/9/25 16:59Profile

Re:

You forget to mention one key point. These factions were by definition OUTSIDE the Church. All heretics and heresiarchs were OUTSIDE the Church and turned over to Satan in hopes that they would repent and enter into the ONE TRUE CHURCH. The Church does not have denominations with different acceptable sets of beliefs. The Church by definition is a perfect union. To state otherwise is grave and heretical.

Thanks for engaging me so promptly on this.

Peace.

2010/9/25 17:03
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

These factions were by definition OUTSIDE the Church

Actually, no, in the opening chapters of 1 Corinthians, Paul talks about all of them being part of the Church. Indeed, in spite of their party spirit and hero worship, they still gathered together. Indeed, Paul even talked about those who were "approved" fellowshiping within these factions.

Quote:

The Church by definition is a perfect union.

We are united via our union in Christ. But other Christians don't always get along with other Christians. Some do not preserve the bond of peace and unity of the Spirit in love. Instead, some get carnal, and war against one another.

Quote:

To state otherwise is grave and heretical.

If you think the early New Testament church was this nice harmonious group that agreed in everything always, you simply have not been reading the New Testament.

1 Corinthians was written to address factions that had formed, people living in gross immorality, people breaking with apostolic practice and belief. 2nd Corinthians was written to the church to congratulate them for getting over these errors, but with another set of problems altogether. Ephesians and Colossians were written to these churches in response to error. Galatians was written in response to error. The same with 1 & 2 Thessalonians, etc., etc., etc.

2010/9/25 18:32Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy