Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The End of Denominations

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

The End of Denominations

[11] And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, [12] for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; [13] until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ. (Epheisans 4:11-13 NASB)

I believe the practical ramifications of this passage teaches that the Lord will eventually bring an end to the denominational and party spirit that exists within Christianity right now. Before the return of the Lord, and on this side of glory, we will see a corporate maturity and unity attained.

I have much more I can say on the subject, but, I just thought I'd invite feedback for the time being.

Many blessings,

Jimmy

2010/9/5 19:52Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re: The End of Denominations

The Lord not only will "eventually" bring an end to denominations, but he has already many times over. Wherever more of true Christianity has existed, there has been less of the denomination and party spirit. Wherever there has been the exalting of Christ, worship, prayer, revival, the Word, the Spirit, and fellowship, the denomination has never existed. And if they were present, their walls fell like those of Jericho. On the other hand, as long as men remain on the earth, there will be divisions, sects, and denominations as long as man is not perfect and true to God. This is not just a matter of doctrinal knowledge about unity, but unity is primarily a matter of the spirit.

Also, divisions are sometimes spoken of as good in the Bible. Divisions can allow for the recognition of those who are approved (by God) and are a means of cleansing the church of those who do not really and deeply desire to follow him. If so, divisions will never cease.

I don't believe the church has been in the dark for 2,000 years and will soon come to the light of spiritual maturity on this topic. Rather, it is something that ebbs and flows with the time and place and people.

2010/9/5 20:56Profile

John 17! The High Priestly Prayer of Jesus.

John 17.

dont you think?

"The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me."

John 17:22-23 (ESV)

2010/9/5 20:56
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

GOD will shake the tree of
denominations; so that only
the true fruit will remain.
Jesus desire and prayer was
that we be made ONE in the
Father, Son, Spirit!! The
Body of Christ is One!!

2010/9/5 21:01Profile

It is my understanding that there is a fullness of this mature man in every generation. Denominations, sects, will continue as they should, but we who are enlightened must put away childish things. When Paul left the scene, just as he said they would, wolves who would not spare the flock ushered in with party cliques of every kind. Movements sprang up, teachings, doctrines and creeds began to separate the people. There was so much confusion that a council had gathered together to find out what was true and what was false.

I understand through revivals throughout history that there is a mature body that is fulfilling the call of God in their lives. Than that generation dies and a whole new crop is being birthed to bring forth fruit.

It's the bearing of fruit that tells us that we have reached maturity, or better yet the Christ has grown up in us. 2Tim 3:17

Only a few reach this point and than it spreads like fire. The few that laboured complains about the one that only laboured but one hour and they are bearing fruit which took the first ones a long time to reach. It takes a lot of time for the Lord to bring in wisdom, knowledge and understanding which has been let down by each generation that relaxes and allows the light to grow dim. But once it's established again in those that are willing to stand for it, it's easy for the Holy Spirit to move and not be grieved. We can see that in the revivals that spread through the Hebrides. Bars and dance halls emptied because a few people got alone with God and reached maturity.

These are only thoughts.

2010/9/5 21:16
Goldminer

Alabama

Re:

I have noticed a common thread in my 34 years of walking with the Lord, those who are on fire for Him don't care a hoot about denominational lines, or sects. It has always been instant fellowship with such folks. I find great joy in this, because it is God breathed. We instantly know we are in the same family.

2010/9/5 21:54Profile
jimp

Re:

hi,i learned many years ago that God loves variety ...He makes sure that we are all so different that we need a denomination almost for ourselves ...that is why we are to be all things to all people so that we win some as we did today at lunch... i like the 100 and up denominations...lol jimp

2010/9/5 22:05Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Good thoughts one and all. I appreciate the feedback. I have found it interesting how quick many are to assume that denominations are a good thing, and in some sense needed. Some sense of "blessing" is thought to be associated with them.

In my opinion though, all denominations, even the better one's, are all Ishmael's. They are the product of the flesh and what man does in his own strength, independent of God's word and His promises. Abraham even thought Ishmael was good, and a blessing. But God saw only one child in Abraham.

2010/9/6 9:15Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re:

Years ago I read a book by Watchman Nee in which he withdrew his membership in a denomination because he felt according to the word is was divisive. I had to agree with him, so I have never signed a membership in any church. We are one loaf and one body.

2010/9/6 9:48Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I have thought about doing such before. But I've decided that by officially joining a local church, even if that technically makes me part of a denomination, my loyalty is ultimately only to the local church I've joined. At best, I look at my association with the denomination as a way of networking with other local churches in the area. But sometimes, I've found in some denominations, they have little to no involvement with sister churches under the denominational label, even if they are only down the street.

2010/9/6 9:53Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy