SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Calvinism vs Arminianism Dissentions

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Calvinism vs Arminianism Dissentions

I am convinced that it is unwise, unsound, or unreasonable for any true Christian to divide from other true Christians in any way shape or form over this much debated issue. It is my hope to reason with believers concerning why I make that kind of statement.

I want to approach this by considering two of the main doctrinal points which are debated between Calvinists and Arminians; namely, the doctines of Total Depravity and Unconditional Election. I chose those two because I believe they are at the heart of this debate. I will endeavor to explain as briefly and clearly as possible what both sides believe regarding those two doctrines and the Scriptures which are used to support their views. My point will be to show that there is strong Scriptural argumentation and support on both sides, thereby showing how unreasonable and unwise it is to divide in any way over this issue.

I want to begin by considering the Calvinistic view of Total Depravity. Regarding man's free will, the Westminster Confession of Faith states, "Man, by his fall into a state of sin, hath wholly lost all ability of will to any spiritual good accompanying salvation; so as a natural man being altogether averse from that good, and dead in sin, is not able, by his own strength, to convert himself, or to prepare himself thereunto."(chapter 9:2) In other words, through the fall, man has lost all ability to choose to be saved from his sin and condemnation. He is depraved to such an extent that only God can cause him to will to be saved, otherwise he will never choose to be saved. Man basically has no free will of his own when it comes to the gift of salvation. It becomes necessary for God to perform a work of grace in man’s soul, to the effect that man’s will is changed, so that man then chooses to be saved, because God causes him to choose Christ. Only God’s elect are given this change of the will, so that salvation can truly be said to be of the Lord and not of man. Some verses used to support this view are: Gen.6:5; Gen.8:21; Isa. 64:6; Jer.13:23; Ps.110:3; John 6:44; Rom. 3:9-20; Rom.9:16; Eph.2:1; Phil.2:13.

Regarding the doctrine of Unconditional Election, Calvinism teaches that God chose and predestined the salvation of His elect based on His own sovereign will, apart from anything He foresaw in His elect before the foundation of the world. In other words, God chose His elect without any consideration of any belief or choice believers would make. According to this view, before the creation, God saw all of humanity utterly ruined in sin and condemnation, and He chose to pass by some people and save others. Those whom he chose to pass by, are left to perish in their sin without the ability to choose to be saved. Those who are His elect are predestined to be regenerated so that they choose to be saved. Again, God chose to predestine the salvation of the elect apart from any consideration of any choice of theirs. Some Scriptures use to support this view of election are: Deut.7:6-10; Isa.45:4; Jn.15:16; Acts 16:14; Rom.9:10-26; Rom.10:20.

On the Arminian side, when it comes to human depravity, Classical Arminianism (According to the original teachings of Jacobus Arminius) teaches that man is given a free will when it comes to salvation. This view seeks to affirm the fact of man’s moral corruption or original sin in a more “moderate” sense than Calvinism. They believe that God gives man what they term “prevenient” grace, through which man is able to choose either to believe or reject the gospel. Apart from this prevenient grace or God-given ability to choose, man is left to his own condemnation and doom. Some Scriptures used to support this view of man’s free will are: Deut.30:19-20; Isa. 1:19; Ezek.18:31; Matt.23:37; Jn.3:16; Jn. 5:40; Acts 17:30; 2Thess. 1:8; Rev.22:17.

Regarding Election, the first of the Five Articles of the Remonstrance (the earliest followers of Arminius) states: “That God, by an eternal, unchangeable purpose in Jesus Christ, his Son, before the foundation of the world, hath determined, out of the fallen, sinful race of men, to save in Christ, for Christ's sake, and through Christ, those who, through the grace of the Holy Ghost, shall believe on this his Son Jesus, and shall persevere in this faith and obedience of faith, through this grace, even to the end; and, on the other hand, to leave the incorrigible and unbelieving in sin and under wrath, and to condemn them as alienate from Christ, according to the word of the Gospel in John iii. 36: "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life; and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him," and according to other passages of Scripture also.”
In other words, God’s election and predestination of believers is conditional upon a foreseen choice of belief in Jesus Christ, as opposed to the doctrine of Unconditional Election. God has chosen to elect and save only those whom He knew would choose to receive His gift of salvation through Christ. This view is based on the argument that God has never desired the damnation of any soul. Some Scriptures used to support this view are: Ezek.33:11; Ezek.18:23,32: Isa.1:18; Matt.23:37; 1Tim.2:4; Isa.45:22; 1Pet.1:2; Rom.8:29: Rev.22:17.

Based on the Scriptures referenced above, I am convinced there seems to be strong Scriptural support both for Calvinism and Arminianism. One can go either way and remain within the pail of historic, orthodox Christianity. That is why I believe it is unreasonable and unsound to see this issue as a matter of necessary division among Christians. There have been and still are men and women who have been mightily used of God throughout the ages, who have held to either of the two views. Sadly, that old serpent of old has used this issue as a cause much unnecessary dissention in the Church. It is my hope and prayer that we would realize the error of this attitude concerning this topic of debate. In Proverbs 6:19, one of the six kinds of individuals God says He hates is “one who sows discord among brothers.” By contrast, in Matthew 5:9 our Lord declares, “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.”

2010/9/2 18:52Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: Calvinism vs Arminianism Dissentions

I'm going to put an end to this thread before it mushrooms out of control. And it will, trust me. While I believe your intentions were noble in presenting it, SermonIndex isn't the platform you're looking for. This topic has already been prolifically discussed in numerous threads; attempts that have been to reconcile this ancient dispute have only backfired here, and will probably always backfire as long as the Lord tarries.

Please don't be offended.

Brother Paul

2010/9/2 22:33Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy