SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Does God really speak through false prophets?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
DesertRose

Boston.MA

Does God really speak through false prophets?

Does God really speak through false prophets?
A pastor used teaching in a sermon from a seminar he attended given by an apostate. When questioned about it he said he liked what he had to say about a certain topic and claimed all truth is God’s truth no matter…… even given by a false teacher because….after all God spoke through a donkey didn’t he.
How would you have responded?

2010/9/1 20:07Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Does God really speak through false prophets?

Genesis 3v4, '...ye shall not surely die,

vs5, 'For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

In this scripture, we see the serpent mixing truth and lies, and causing confusion and questioning what God said.

And they listened. And here we are today.

Again, in Matthew 4, we see satan quoting and mis-quoting scripture. He said, 'for it is written'. This is what Jesus had said to him, and he in turn returned the saying.

We have an account in 1 Kings 13v14-24, about a man of God, who listened to a man who said he was a prophet. He lied to the man of God. Yet, God used this man to pronounce His judgment on the man of God, and it came to pass.

There is more I want to say. But I hate long posts, and this one is getting a bit long.

God bless.

2010/9/2 4:51Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Undoubtably God does and has spoken through false prophets. Consider Balaam in Numbers ch. 22,23,24. He was definitely a false prophet as confirmed by Peter and Jude in their NT epistles, but he was even used to prophecy about the comming of Jesus (Numbers 24:17).

I have often considered this fact and that we should fear and realise that just because someone may be used to speak a word of God, does not neccesarily mean they are 'of God' or even saved and certainly does not mean they are walking in truth.
Did not Jesus say " Many will say we prohesied in your name..." and I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me you who practice lawlssness" (Matt.7:22-23).

However what you ask is a different issue, in that I think it is dangerous and unwise to quote known false teachers to back up a point of teaching. It could give the impression to some that this person is OK, which could lead to receiving the other 'poisen' mixed in with the small amount of truth.. Surely we have the scriptures which should be enough to confirm our teaching, without having to resort to false teachers for reference.

I heard someone say recently in respone to the fact that there is some truth spoken by false teachers, "even a broken clock is right twice a day!"
This is the danger with a lot of false teachers. They mix the error in with a measure of truth to make in easier to swallow.

2010/9/2 5:30Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Quoting Heydave: "we have the scriptures which should be enough"

Amen Brother. Well said. This was my first thought when I read the original question.

Why, when we have God's Word, do we need to hear it paraphrased by non-believers? Could it be our "itching ears?"

These are trying times, turn to the Lord for your source. Depend not on man for your salvation. It is very easy to become inflamed with Patriotism for our Country but it is only the place where I am living, it is NOT MY HOME. My eyes are on Heaven, looking for the return of my Lord Jesus.

Personally, I see all the political news as distraction from the important subject - sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ - the Son of God.

white stone

2010/9/2 9:40Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Does God really speak through false prophets?

Concerning God using a donkey to speak...

Wasn't it a false prophet, Balaam, to whom God spoke to using the donkey?

Just a thought.

2010/9/2 9:45Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Yes, He does.

2010/9/2 10:05Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Read 1 Kings 13:11-34 for an example of this very thing.

2010/9/2 10:32Profile
Giggles

Re:

I guess God can speak through whomever He wishes, nonetheless, I wouldn't go sit under Unitarian or Mormon or Jehovah's Witness teaching in spite of them possibly proclaiming certain truths now and then.

2010/9/2 12:38Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Yes giggles, great points.

2010/9/2 12:58Profile

Re:

I think there is a difference between a false prophet or false teacher speaking something that is true... and God actually speaking through them. If they are a false prophet/teacher then I believe they are devoid of God. I dont think God "uses" them to speak His truth, I just think sometimes they accidently speak things that are true.

There is a difference.

Krispy

2010/9/2 14:37

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy