SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Matthew 8:11-12

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Matthew 8:11-12

"And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven. But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

The words "children of the kingdom," really caught my eye this morning.

Any thoughts? Interpretations? Greek help?

I think I know what this whole thing means but those four words bothered me today. I guess I have never really noticed them before.

2010/8/30 16:33Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re: Matthew 8:11-12

It is interesting that you bring this up because my roommate and I were just talking about this last night.

I have heard that there is a difference here between "outer darkness" and the other. Some verses say "weeping and gnashing" and some say "wailing and gnashing"

What gives?

When meditated on, and neither of those terms bring the fear of God I don't know what would.

For Him,
Michelle

2010/8/30 17:12Profile
mossman

Before Jesus said verse 11, He just got done saying that the greatest faith He had seen came from a gentile and not a jew. So what verses 11 and 12 is talking about is how that many gentiles will be saved but not all of the Jews would be

2010/8/30 22:40Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Thank you Mossman, that is pretty much what I thought it was saying. I was just mostly baffled by the fact that he says in one sentence that there would be many from east and west who would reside in the kingdom, and then without changing words or terminology says the sons of the kingdom will be ejected.

When I was young, it was sentences like this that really made me have a hard time reading scripture. I think some times I get hung up more on 'how' things are said more than 'what' is said.

It appears to me that each usage of the word "kingdom" has a different connotation to it. On the one hand we have the spiritual and timeless kingdom of heaven, but on the other hand you have the carnal, genealogical kingdom of men (not all who are of Abraham are of Abraham.) At least that is the only way I can gather...

2010/8/30 23:09Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Michelle, you are right...this ought to put the fear of God in us...for it is not those who kill the body, but Him who can cast body and soul into hell. There is a thematic here that hearkens to when Paul, in Romans, warns the gentiles that they were grafted into the tree and that God is able to resuscitate Israel.

2010/8/30 23:11Profile

That phrase 'sons of', reminds me of 'sons of the prophets'. It seems to be a reference to natural descent, and how it doesn't bring with it, the spiritual gift which an individual receives directly from God supernaturally.

The overall context, beginning in Matt 7, is faith and obedience. It's about being a believer, and one who actually does 'the will of My Father'.

The 'little flock' verse also comes to mind, which in the 12th of Luke's gospel also has a context of trust towards God.

28 If then God so clothe the grass, which is to day in the field, and to morrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? 29 And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind. 30 For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things.

31 But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you. 32 Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

All through Jesus' ministry, He made a division between those to whom it was given to understand the parables, and those who could not.

There's a peculiar irony here too. (It's occurring to me as I write.) The Jews had indeed been chosen by God to receive His word down through many centuries. But that mentality - that they'd been chosen and didn't have to 'do' anything about the blessings they'd been promised - seems to be a double-edged sword. On the one thought, God did want them to receive all the blessing (Christ) which He'd promised them, and those who had a right view of God and themselves, did indeed receive Him. And God wants those of us who've been born again to have certain expectation of how He will bless us because we are His children.

The other thought is, that if one, believing one has been 'chosen' by God, begins to think of oneself too highly, one can very easily set oneself up as a judge, while neglecting to judge oneself unworthy of the grace of His gift to us.

This can happen to Christians as well, if they adhere to the 'God chose me' doctrine more than the 'I am crucified with Christ' which recognises that 'I' need to fall into the ground (Christ's tomb) and die (stay dead in Him). It is for this (death and resurrection) that God 'chose' 'me', as only then will the life of God begin to manifest itself in me. That old life in which I was 'chosen', was merely a vehicle to bring me to a place of response to Him. Once He has me, I have no more 'right' over myself.

So, there were Jews who thought that being a law-abiding Jew was all they needed to worry about, and they were sorted. They did not take at all kindly to the ways Jesus challenged their view of themselves, or that they were not engaged with their law-keeping at heart level.

Sorry I've rambled a bit. It was a good question, Areadymind.

My last thought is Paul's cry in Romans 9: '... my countrymen according to the flesh, 4 who are Israelites, to whom [pertain] the adoption', which follow from Rom 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. 15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

I love that the centurion - a man trained to kill - knew he was seeing something amazing in Jesus - a man able to give life - and knew that to Him he should bow in his heart.

2010/8/31 5:14

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy