SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Glenn Beck as our Cyrus?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 )
PosterThread
Renoncer

Re: Let us be very careful

Brethren,
Let us be very careful…

Remember how Paul dealt with the slave girl who had a spirit of divination: he did not let her speak, even though her message seemed to be a good one (Acts 16:16-18). Meditate on this passage, and consider the difference between this situation and Balaam’s situation or Cyrus’s. God restrained Balaam’s madness and turned a curse into a blessing. This did not give Balaam any credibility to become Israel’s prophet though… As for Cyrus, it is true that God uses governing authorities to accomplish His purposes, even pagan authorities. However, once again, this does not give pagans credibility to lead God’s people.
Let us be very careful…

Please, I beg you to read 2 Peter 2:1-3, and seriously pray about it. There are many wolves in sheep’s clothing…

“Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood. I know that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; and from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away the disciples after them. Therefore be alert, remembering that for three years I did not cease night or day to admonish everyone with tears.” (Acts 20:28-31)

2010/9/1 17:28Profile
ManofGod0000

Re:

To explain what I mean by fixations, since I have to do to do that. It is simply that we as a body tend to get all hot and bothered over issues that we feel we have to personally defend and place "our" solid stand against. It isnt the Lord much of the time at all.

A prophet or a follower of Christ emanates and shines like a light even among heathen, then shed understanding as given by the holy ghost, it enlightens, not out of knowledge but out of inspired love that from God that renews, refresh, ticks-off people, but their love and concern is so done out of a God led, God-loved burden for HE and the people.

Glen Beck appears to me as a selfish man insistent that he will have a voice, he is absolutely filled with "self-righteous indignation", what will it profit him if he hasnt sought God and called out unto the deep?

Not only that, but I will only declare this one time, politics and the Christ we stand for do not mix. many will have a different take or opinion, but i could care-less about the right or the left. The O reilly's, the Hannity's, Sharpton's, cnn or Mr Beck, they are modern day Zealots, that have missed HIS coming, and they will resume to miss HIS coming because of such fixations, the Holy ghost knows how to speak through qualified men and women of His choosing to get the message across under the power of HIS anointing.

Why do they miss His coming? They are still looking to be liberated or delivered by that which is carnal and suprficial. Jesus is the absolute answer!
Mahoney,

God uses anyone, yes, and the anointing destroys yokes, bondage, and all manner of wickedness.

2010/9/1 18:57Profile
Compton

Re:

If I may, I would like to see if I understand everyones heart on this issue. (It's obviously an important matter.) I won’t attempt to speak for anyone, but to echoe back the very best of what I am hearing. I'll then share my own point of view:)

Jimmy’s thesis was that Beck could be a type of Cyrus, because historically God has used unbelievers to help restore the state of Israel, or to give aid to the early church. This thesis rests on the idea that Christians can publicly associate with unbelievers in the realm of moral and political aspirations, while at the same time disassociate with their heretical spiritual doctrines and low views of scripture. Realizing this two-tier approach is problematic, Jimmy proposed the idea in the form of a thesis.

Even so, the heart behind the thesis is a hope that perhaps real Christians are finally starting to address their consciences before God, assuming responsibility as individuals, rather then looking toward politicians to bail them out. GK Chesterton Once observed “America is a nation with the soul of a church.” This is quite a different thing then saying “America is a Christian nation.” Nevertheless, Beck could be attempting to speak to that “soul” of America...to stir and wake us up before we become a soulless nation of heathens who have lost all religion, and thus have no reason to practice self-control morally or economically.

“Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.(Proverbs 14:34)

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn. (Proverbs 29:2)

---------------------------------------

Now, I have heard essentially two distinct critiques of this thesis, that I believe are valid concerns.

As it was observed below by Frank and Krispy, the two distinct critiques being brought against Jimmy’s thesis are represented by two of our brethren who don't always see eye to eye politically speaking. That is significant to me.

The first critique was a warning for Christians to beware of implicating the cause and reputation of Christ into the quasi-religious cause of Americanism. The concern is that in the ideology of Beck, one can hear nationalistic crusading anthems rising up against other peoples and races, conjuring up the darkest memories of western history where the state became a cult that used religious symbols with terrifying power over the masses. Our present storm clouds of economic depression and terrorism are weather conditions ripe for fascism. In addition to this vision, I also heard a shepherds tender burden to protect the sincere but naive American sheep who is frightened by the idea that their nation may be in decline. They are admonished to seek comfort in God, and not in an American resurgence, lest they sacrifice themselves and their children in the bloody and greedy gears of state machinery.

"Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence." (John 18:36)

I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one.(John 17:14-15)

The second critique was a warning for bible believing Christians joining into an overtly spiritual mission with a non-believer. This comes from a heart fueled by a vigilance for the truthfulness of scripture over all other priorities. The idea that a mormon could be treated, if not heralded, as a prophetic voice on a national level among conservative evangelical Christians suggests that the great apostasy is underway. If apostolic doctrine is dispensable to our objectives, then we can know for sure we have the wrong objective, and in our pragmatism we are no longer contending for the faith once delivered unto the saints. (see Jeff's thread on ecumenical concerns also.)

"Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints." (Jude 1:3)

"The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron” (1 Tim. 4:1-2).

------------------------------------
This is how I hear all three points of view. I can happily fellowship with any brethren who sees Glenn Beck through one of these points of view. I sincerely empathize with and respect all three.

In the end, while I heartily agreed with the merit within all the concerns expressed, Krispy’s concern for doctrinal integrity expresses for me the most clear cut objective reason to not associate with Glenn Beck. Beck, in my opinion, is being rather exploitive of his audience when he uses the language of a spiritual leader. (Whether unintentional, or with good intentions, I do believe he wants to resonate with Christians not just politically or morally, but spiritually.)

While I do believe it is permissible in the Holy Spirit for a Christian to prayerfully hold political opinions, whether they be conservative or liberal, I do not believe the Holy Spirit would give me the liberty to risk lowering the authority of scripture publicly, especially when there has never been a lower regard for scripture in the church then there is presently. The chance for being misunderstood as endorsing Glenn Beck’s spiritual doctrines is simply too real for me to in good conscience to identify my life with his cause.

I love all of you guys in the Lord!

Blessings,

Mike

2010/9/3 14:53Profile

Re:

Very well put renouncer!!!
Could you post that on the
Other thread as well (Glenn
Beck's Ecumenical Push on
The Church)?

2010/9/3 15:28

Re:

Mike, I love the way you cut through the clutter. God bless you brother for your insight........brother Frank

2010/9/3 15:28
Compton

Re:

I thank God for your insight as well Frank.

Mike

2010/9/3 15:43Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy