SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Caught on camera: Pillar of Fire...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

Caught on camera: Pillar of Fire...

This might not be very "newsworthy," but I thought that some of you might be interested in it.

I saw a video online yesterday of a "fire tornado" seen in Brazil.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749633/raw-video-fire-tornado-in-brazil-21567658

I was immediately struck by the passage in Exodus 13:21-22 that describes how the Lord led Israel by a pillar of cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night.

The "fire tornado" or "fire whirl" seen in the video from Brazil is quite rare. Before the 20th century, the idea of a "pillar of fire" was ridiculed by some skeptics. They said that it was contrary to the very nature of fire to behave in such a manner.

However, although rare, they were finally able to document the phenomenon during the 20th Century via photographs and eyewitness accounts. One such account of a "fire tornado" from Japan in 1923 resulted in the deaths of 38,000 who had gathered together following the Great Kanto earthquake.

It must have been a fantastic thing to see during the Exodus!

2010/8/25 13:01Profile
Crux

Re: Caught on camera: Pillar of Fire...

It might be some sort of visual aid as to what the pillar of fire might have looked like, but this is clearly just a tornado moving over a bush fire and sucking up that fire.

If you want to see something harking back to the moses era then check this baby out, Blood Rain :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb_y_Xed6Ek
God's Judgement on idol worship? Or satanic fakery?
O.o
Who knows?

2010/8/25 15:07Profile

Chris said
It must have been a fantastic thing to see during the Exodus!

Please tell me you aren't suggesting, are you, that 'a fire tornado' is what moved from leading the Hebrews, to behind them, and travelled with them over a period of days?

And then this happened:

Exodus 14:19 And the angel of God, which went before the camp of Israel, removed and went behind them; and the pillar of the cloud went from before their face, and stood behind them: 20 And it came between the camp of the Egyptians and the camp of Israel; and it was a cloud and darkness [to them], but it gave light by night [to these]: so that the one came not near the other all the night.

21 And Moses stretched out his hand over the sea; and the LORD caused the sea to go [back] by a strong east wind all that night, and made the sea dry [land], and the waters were divided. 22 And the children of Israel went into the midst of the sea upon the dry [ground]: and the waters [were] a wall unto them on their right hand, and on their left. 23 And the Egyptians pursued, and went in after them to the midst of the sea, [even] all Pharaoh's horses, his chariots, and his horsemen.

24 And it came to pass, that in the morning watch the LORD looked unto the host of the Egyptians through the pillar of fire and of the cloud, and troubled the host of the Egyptians, 25 And took off their chariot wheels, that they drave them heavily: so that the Egyptians said, Let us flee from the face of Israel; for the LORD fighteth for them against the Egyptians.

2010/8/26 7:25
Koheleth

NC

This is truly an amazing sight. However, I tend to think the pillar of fire in Exodus was not quite the same. It could stay or move. Also, the pillar of cloud is even harder to explain. Can you imagine a cloud that forms into a pillar and stays in one place and then suddenly after days or weeks begins to move without breaking apart? And given how intimidating the pillar of fire is claimed to be in Exodus, I believe it would have to be much larger than this one.

The problem with this video is that it is another attempt to explain God's working as recorded in the Scriptures by natural causes. It is said that the walls of Jericho fell by a great earthquake, that Jesus didn't really die but just passed out and then rose again, and now the pillar of fire might be a tornado-induced event.

2010/8/26 14:35Profile
TrueWitness

Re:

Be careful here. I am sure that atheists and agnostics alike would look at this video and say: "You see, that pillar of fire mentioned in the Bible was just a natural "fire tornado" like in this video." In other words, this video would harden their unbelief and perhaps convince others to become skeptics.

2010/8/26 14:42Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Wow...

I think that a couple of you are incorrectly "reading between the lines" (or jumping to conclusions) here.

I was NOT saying that this simple example of a "fire tornado" was the same thing that traveled with the Israelites during the Exodus. I am totally aware that the pillar of fire and the cloud were MIRACULOUS DEMONSTRATIONS from the Lord.

I was simply saying that this is an interesting thing to see...and it might provide a nice visual reference of what a pillar of fire might have looked like (albeit on a natural scale).

I hope this clarifies the reason behind this thread just a bit.

2010/8/26 14:58Profile
HeartSong

Re:

All of nature is a miraculous demonstration of the great and mighty power of God. It is His nature - an expression of Himself - for He created it.

I found the fire tornado to be fascinating. I find all tornado's to be fascinating. It is as if the finger of God is directing their every movement - like a finger drawing upon the sand.

2010/8/26 15:43Profile

Brother Chris! long time no write to.

i know what you were alluding to, and watched the fire tornado......and it IS fun AND edifying to imagine, "was that what It was like in the desert?"

and i must confess this, i dont eat them anymore, but do you know the breakfast cereal, "Frosted Flakes", i would sometimes wonder, "is this what manna might have been like?"

you know what bro? i've seen firsthand, these "tongues of fire", from my days living in the Santa Monica mountains, and their frequent wildfires. these "tongues" i saw always kicked out at a 45 degree angle, i never saw one go straight up, like the Brazilian ones you showed me.....and yes, they did make me ponder, was that what it was like?

God IS so Great, what a Mind! What a Designer! When you ponder the Works of His Hand in nature, the intricacy. i'm not talking about "worshiping" nature....no.....i'm just speaking of the Work of His Hands, for instance.....lets talk about fire, and wood. Thats what your post pulled my mind towards. i started thinking of the joy i always had in making firewood (correct pronunciation "farwood") the difference between all the different oaks, and when you cut and saw them up green, (which is the way) and the way oak smells green, or hickory, or black walnut. you can always tell the difference between farwoods, by the smell when the wood is cut green, and the joy of a neatly stacked rack of firewood, and then the onset of winter.

point being, its the small things in life, pondered thru the Heart of God in a saint that can bring joy, hugging your child, the two of you bringing in farwood to the house, smelling the wood, teaching the child to correctly arrange the wood in the stove, how to use kindling just right, letting the child, under supervision start the fire, getting warmed in the fire, and then telling that child, how God designed each tree different, by showing the child the intricate vascular system of a leaf, and how He always gives us Goodness, by providing us with the wood, to heat ourselves.

OR..the joy of enjoying a far off brothers post, which shows us, a Hint, a Glimpse of the Power of God.

i know what you meant.

now let me throw a curve ball, can you imagine....wait for it.......what it was like to be inside the Tent of Meeting?

and with that question, i personally, come one step closer, to answering the question, why was it that Jesus was speaking with Moses and Elijah on the Mount of Transfiguration?

Why Moses and Elijah?

one last thing dear brother, my life in this clay jar these days is really trying, kind of bad, a time of burnishing, lets say. that the only time i get True Joy and Happiness is pondering the Deep Things of God....everything else, a living nightmare, thinking about Jesus.....true joy.

Thanks for the share, much love to you in Jesus, neil

2010/8/26 16:51

dear Heartsong

what a neat miracle. you wrote:

"All of nature is a miraculous demonstration of the great and mighty power of God. It is His nature - an expression of Himself - for He created it."

i was just writing the same thing, with my too many words, but you wrote it better. God is so good, what a neat little convergence of hearts.
neil

2010/8/26 16:54
HeartSong

Re: dear Heartsong

One Spirit. :)

2010/8/26 18:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy