Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Mormonism

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
mguldner

Kansas

Mormonism

Could someone give me a quick synopsis of Mormonism like what they believe and the hearsy within it. I signed up for a free bible online and then BAM (not Todd Bentley like) popped up a mormon website which stated they were going to be sending missionaries to come talk to me about the Church of the Latter-Day Saints. I thought great so I just pushed the back button in hopes of avoiding that. I know see this as an opportunity to share the ONLY gospel. They gave me a book of Mormon and on it are the words Another Testament of Jesus Christ. I believe Paul warned about another Gospel. Anyways I needs some prayer and information about Mormonism Please and Thank YOU!

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/8/24 19:41Profile

Re: Mormonism

oh oh Matthew, they're coming for ya....hide!!!!

my first suggestion would be to wikipedia it, and then let them in the house, and listen, and start to talk about the Lord Jesus Christ with YOUR Bible at the ready.

i wore out a pair of Nigerian Jehovah Witness's that would come around every saturday, i'd invite them in, sit them down at my writing table, Bibles open on it, and start talking about Jesus........they couldnt wait to bolt from my place, and all i wanted to do was to have an impromtu Bible study. they stopped coming after 3 saturdays. i tried.

neil

2010/8/24 21:09
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

lol, that's too funny neil

2010/8/24 21:12Profile
Renoncer

Re: Mormonism

Mguldner,

First, I suggest not meeting with Mormon missionaries alone. Have a strong Christian partner to support you if you wish to meet with them.

Second, you will notice that they speak much of transferring spirits (of course, claiming that it is the “Holy Spirit”). They will want you to invite the spirit, “just to know if what they are saying is true”. The Bible says that we should not believe every spirit, but to test the spirits to see whether they are from God. You will notice that testing of the spirits is always in relation to the truth about Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 12:3, 1 John 4:1-3, John 16:13-16). A spirit that makes them deny the full deity of Jesus Christ cannot be of God, but is indeed an evil spirit. You do not want to invite an evil spirit; you want to rebuke any such spirit.

Third, in relation to their testimony about Jesus Christ, Mormons do not believe that Jesus is God. They believe that He is “a god”. (They might try to fool you on a bad translation of the Greek, which doesn’t work if you know basic Greek grammar, but may confuse someone who doesn’t know.) As a matter of fact, they believe that there are millions (and possibly more) of gods. They also believe that God the Father did not always have His position as God, but had to achieve deity like YOU need to achieve it! (Oh, and that He also has a physical body) Basically, they believe it is your goal to become your own “god” in your own “kingdom/world/room”, just as God is the ruler of this world. There are many problems with this:
1) The Bible says that apart from the One True God, there is no other god. Isaiah 43:10 says that there has never been any other god before the LORD, nor will there ever be after Him. Isaiah 44:6 says that the LORD is the first and the last, and that apart from Him, there is no other god. (Also see 1 Corinthians 8:4-6)
2) The Bible ascribes deity to Jesus Christ, being the Creator, the Beginning and the End, worshipped, and on and on. (John 1:1-3, Colossians 1:15-17, John 20:28, Revelation 22:12-16, Hebrews 1:6, Matthew 14:33, etc, etc.)
3) This is what Satan used to deceive Eve in the garden of Eden, saying that she would be like God (Genesis 3:5).
4) The ultimate purpose of our existence is to glorify God and to be with Him forever, not to become our own gods in our own separate worlds (Revelation 21:3, Romans 11:36, 2 Corinthians 5:15).
5) The Bible says that God cannot be seen (1 Timothy 6:15-16), and that only Jesus Christ is the God in the flesh (Philippians 2:6-8, Colossians 2:9).

Fourth, they believe that Satan is Jesus’ brother. Okay, you should see that they have a very sympathetic view of Satan by now… As previously mentioned, all things were created by Jesus, whether things on earth or in heaven (that includes Satan; Colossians 1:16).
Jesus = God / Satan = created being

Fifth, they believe that Jesus’ blood makes atonement for a part of salvation, not full salvation. They say that his blood saves people from the temporary state of judgment, not the eternal judgment. They think that heaven and hell are temporary. Therefore, you need to make yourself worthy to become a god, which doesn’t depend on Jesus at all. He just kind of helped you to get out of a temporary impediment… Ouch! This is so wrong, for the following reason:
1) The Bible says that the unrighteous will go to ETERNAL CHASTISEMENT (kolasin aionion), while the righteous will go to ETERNAL LIFE (zoen aionion) – Matthew 25:46). Not temporary.
2) The Bible says that the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sins, to redeem us and to make us holy (Hebrews 13:12, 1 John 1:7, 1 Peter 1:19).

Sixth, they think that most people will be okay, and that only a few will be in ‘utter darkness’. But this is wrong. Jesus Himself said that most will take the broad way which leads to destruction, while only A FEW will find the narrow way that leads to life (Matthew 7:13-14).

(They will also twist many Scriptures, especially those from 1 Corinthians 15. It would take too long to go through all the possible verses they will twist. However, if you want me to give you more information, just send me an e-mail at plr777@hotmail.com and I will be glad to give you as much preparation as possible.)

By now, you should have plenty to understand the utter heresy of Mormonism. Actually, it is Satanic. But, if you are in Christ, Jesus will keep you safe (1 John 5:18). Also, the Holy Spirit in you is greater than the devil in the world (1 John 4:4). Therefore, if they attack, just look to Jesus for security. Stand firm in Him.

God bless you!
Pierre-Luc

2010/8/24 22:00Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Wow that's unusual to believe such things.

Basically think I am going to take a Francis Chan approach to this, Tell them that my authority is God alone that He is one and only true God and the bible is His only book of revelation. That I study the Word through Exegesis study and that anything that doesn't line up with the Word I have to disregard as heresy. Then go through what they believe and ask them to show me in the Word of God where it is. IE Where is the Queen of Heaven mentioned in the bible? And Where God was a man? Anything that doesn't line up is false. And say in a nut shell I simply can't believe you because it just doesn't line up. When I read the bible, it doesn't make sense to believe there is a queen of heaven or that God was once a man at the beginning.

When I talked to them they asked me if I had ever heard of the Book of Mormon I was like yes? they said do you own one? I said no they said here I have a copy for you. They exalted the Book of Mormon above the bible and that left me a little weirded out but I guess if you want to preach heresy you pretty much have to throw it out. So I took it, then since I really wasn't prepared to talk with them about mormonism I made up vague excuses as to why now was a bad time and then my Wonderful Children woke up and in full banchee screaming gave me an out to reschedule a better time. I do plan on inviting them back with a great welcome maybe even make them a meal, show them the Love of Christ Jesus and let them know that He is the One and Only God and Lord.

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/8/25 1:25Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

One More quick question would the KJV bible they gave me be a sound copy? or would I have to worry about faulty translating?

2010/8/25 2:01Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

burn anything they give you.

2010/8/25 2:31Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Really that extreme? I have no problem with burning the Book of Mormon but what would be the problem with the KJV bible if it is an actual copy of the KJV?

2010/8/25 2:51Profile
Renoncer

Re:

Matthew,

Although I think it is a good idea in general to show the love of Christ by being hospitable to people of other faiths, I believe this situation calls for a different approach, since they are false teachers, spreading dangerous lies and pretending to be genuine Christians to unsuspecting people. I believe 2 John 10-11 applies to them.

Perhaps meeting with them at your house is not a good idea. There is real evil underlying the Mormon church, and you do not want to expose your family to this. When I met with Mormons at my place, I did not expect what came. Thankfully, many people were praying for me when it happened, and God stepped in to deliver me. I first started the conversation by asking them if they accepted the authority of the Bible, which they accepted. So I told them I would be asking them questions about Mormonism, and testing what they said according to Scripture. They hit a wall. Some of their doctrines were slightly off, whereas others were completely opposite to the truth. When they found that they couldn’t pierce through, they changed their tactic; I saw the real face of Satan.

Brother, it was a full-out spiritual attack, blow after blow. One of them even screamed at me to get down on my knees and invite that spirit, which I vehemently rejected. But it was too much for me, and I became engulfed in kind of a cloud. At that moment of trouble, God came to my rescue. Suddenly, words began flowing through my mouth… At first, I was concerned because I wasn’t sure what was coming out… and then I realized it was Scripture, countering the very attacks that they were inflicting on me. (FYI, it was 2 Peter 1:20-21) Brother, I give glory to God for His faithfulness! He is mighty to save, and His righteous hand delivers in times of trouble!

However, after this incident, I realized that I had underestimated how much evil underlies the Mormon church, and decided that I would never put myself in such a vulnerable position again (at least, not intentionally). They gave me a book of Mormon before they left. But, I later decided to get rid of it, to purge any trace of evil from my home.

If you want some more information about Mormonism from a Christian perspective, a good book is “Mormonism 101: Examining the Religion of the Latter-Day Saints” by Bill McKeever & Eric Johnson.

As for the version of the Bible, Mormons use the KJV, playing with its sometimes archaic language to bring in some strange doctrines and interpretations. It is good to just know and understand the passages that they are trying to twist, as opposed to trying to get into some linguistic debate. That way, if you divide the Word properly, you can avoid getting confused by their strange doctrines.

In Christ Jesus, true God and eternal life. (1 John 5:20)
Pierre-Luc

2010/8/25 3:13Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Perhaps I have underestimated the danger of their heresy do to my ignorance. I will definitely be studing my bible and seeking the Lord on this matter. I will definitely need the prayers of the Saints on here that is for sure.

2010/8/25 3:32Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy