SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Earthly Mansions vs Heavenly Mansions

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Earthly Mansions vs Heavenly Mansions

Yesterday I came across a news article detailing the estate sale of Dean Gardens nearby Atlanta. I googled 'Dean Gardens" and found pics of the palatial mansion. I was awed with the opulence and wealth of the place. The creativity of the craftsmanship was nothing short of awesome.

This place was sold for a lot less then what was invested in it by its first owner, Larry Dean. The new owner plans to raze the house.

I enjoy looking a pics of mansions. The beauty is far beyond anything within miles of where we live. I have no desire for a mansion like these - I understand the work required to maintain them and I do not want to be a slave to maintaining a house.

BUT.

We are promised a mansion. Jesus says so in John 14:2. I look forward to it. I also feel certain its beauty will far surpass anything man can ever build. I try to imagine but fail miserably in how it might appear. When I look at pics of what man has built it helps - some, but I know it will still be far superior to anything on this earth. This gets me so excited....not just occupying a mansion, it is the entire environment that is exciting. The music, the weather, the fellowship of other saints, the absence of evil and above all the presence of the Creator.

BTW, you know what the creator of this place said? "I grew up in a house with four rooms the happiest kid you've ever seen," Dean said. "And now I want to go back to a four-room house." Ah...opulence does not satisfy, does not make for happiness...

Yes, we look for a city whose builder and maker is God..YES!
Can't wait! Can you??

ginnyrose

2010/8/23 10:16Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Earthly Mansions vs Heavenly Mansions

'For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builer and maker is God', Heb 11v10.

With all that is written in the word of God concerning heaven and the descriptions given in the book of Revelation, it is still beyond imagination what heaven looks like.

We cannot simply imagine it. Its beyond us. Its too beautiful to comprehend.

But then, God is too beautiful to comprehend.

God bless.

2010/8/23 11:04Profile
SolaVeritas

SK Canada

Re:

Somehow I always thought that he was referring there to our heavenly bodies, who will be as glorious as a "mansion" as compared to the "hut" we're living in now. But that's perhaps just me, and it makes me happy enough, I couldn't care less about gold and fancy stuff. :)

2010/8/23 12:50Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

When one reads the book of Revelation, one gets a glimpse of some of its beauty.

In Revelation 4:2-6 describes a throne like an emerald with a rainbow around it, the floor surrounding it looked like crystal. There are interesting creatures about the throne who do not cease to praise the one who sits on it. Somewhere nearby the throne were thousands and thousands of angels praising God. Imagine all this!

The new Jerusalem is described in Revelation 21 as a cube with high walls and twelve gates. The wall had twelve foundation stone on which were inscribed the names of the twelve apostles! These stones consisted of precious stones like jasper, sapphire, chalcedony, emerald, sardonyx, sardius, chrysolite, beryl, topaz, chrysoprase, jacinth, amethyst. The gates were made of pearl and the streets of gold. Imagine a structure made with materials like these. It must be beautiful. Seems to me our creator left some of these materials here for us to whet our imagination of what is in store for his children.

God is a God of beauty. One can observe it in nature: in flowers, color, forms, shapes, textures. Then look at the unseen through a microscope in which another unseen world unfolds - such beauty.

God is a God of beauty and the devil has done his best to destroy mans perception of it.

Beauty is wrapped up in love as well - it is the physical manifestation of it. It is happiness of the spirit and soul.

Can't you even begin to imagine it? I try and know I fail but it is fun and I do sense God's pleasure in this spiritual, mental exercise...

ginnyrose

2010/8/23 16:18Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Thanks, sister Ginnyrose...

I have always marveled at the beautiful elements in this terrestrial world that God created.

I remember seeing a comic in the newspaper once where some parents were inside flipping through channels on the television. The dad made a comment saying, "There is nothing to watch tonight." At the same time, the son was sitting on the rooftop watching the sunset, horizon and stars at dusk.

It is difficult to imagine anyone looking at the sunset, stars, plants, trees, canyons, mountains and ocean and think that it is all the result of a massive cosmic accident. The same is true when we look at people. People are so different than all other animals! We are the only creatures that literally appreciate the beauty of such things. Is it no wonder that Satan's devilish tactic over the past two centuries is to perpetrate a lie that man evolved from animals?

My wife and I were on vacation this past week. We spent it at leisure. We visited nearby San Francisco (we live a short distance away). We saw animals at a zoological park. We visited Golden Gate Park and looked at the flowers contained around the Victorian Flower Conservatory (and we took plenty of close up photographs). We walked along the nearby oceans. We marveled at the Giant Redwoods at Muir Woods National Monuments. We visited the Point Bonita Lighthouse perched on the outer mountainous cliffs near the Golden Gate Bridge.

When we moved here, my wife almost hated the area. She still comments about how much she doesn't like the hurried existence lived by the locals. She sees the congestion, bad roads, high taxes, high cost of living, intrusive government, bad schools, bitter attitudes, immoral lifestyles and extreme hostility toward Christianity (or anyone who disagrees with any of the above). She has often commented about how much that she wants to move back to Texas. It seems like the only thing that she likes here was the weather (because she isn't nearly as moved as I am by the beauty of the nature of this area).

This week, however, we were driving through a downtown area in San Francisco. We were listening to the song SHINE ON US by the vocal group Phillips, Craig and Dean (a beautiful song that I am sure you can hear on YouTube). As we drove, I told my wife that this is my prayer for this area. I explained that we need to see this area as Jesus would see this area. He certainly sees the sinfulness here. However, He also sees these people as "sheep having no shepherd."

I told my wife that this area desperately needs a move of God. I told her that I believe that it is possible for God to move here...and that literally hundreds of thousands of people -- lost in the darkness and confusion of this world -- could see Christ! After all, nature itself certainly DECLARES the glory of God! These people simply need to listen...and then long to know their Creator. After all, even a single light shines brightly in the darkness.

I remember Keith Green making a statement that it only took God six days to create the entire universe. Yet our Lord has been preparing a "place for us" for over two thousand years. Keith Green said, "If this world -- in all of its beauty -- only took six days...and that place that He is preparing for us took two thousand years...then this is like living in a garbage can!"

Thank you for this timely reminder, Sister Ginnyrose!

2010/8/23 17:57Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Sister Ginnyrose...

Here are the lyrics of the song that I mentioned earlier.
It is a lovely song of prayer.

SHINE ON US
by Phillips, Craig and Dean

VERSE 1

Lord, let Your light,
light of Your face
Shine on us
(repeat)

That we may be saved
That we may have life
To find our way
in the darkest night
Let your light shine on us!

VERSE 2

Lord, let your grace,
grace from Your hand,
fall on us.
(repeat)

That we may be saved
That we may have life
To find our way
in the darkest night
Let Your grace fall on us.

VERSE 3

Lord, let Your love,
love with no end
Come over us!
(repeat)

That we may be saved,
That we may have life!
To find the way
in the darkest night!
Let Your love come over on us.

Let Your light shine on us!

It can be heard here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoYdQa6Cprc

2010/8/25 1:16Profile
Edwards

Northeast Ohio

Re: Earthly Mansions vs Heavenly Mansions

I'll take an old, run-down, one room cabin.....so long I can be in the presence of Christ - not by faith but by sight.

Samuel Rutherford wrote:

"I dare say that angels' pens, angel's tongues, nay, as many worlds of angels as there are drops of water in all the seas and fountains, and rivers of the earth cannot paint Him out to you. I think His sweetness has swelled upon me to the greatness of two heavens. O for a soul as wide as the utmost circle of the highest heaven to contain His love! And yet I could hold but little of it. O what a sight, to be up in heaven, in that fair orchard of the New Paradise, and to see, and smell, and touch, and kiss that fair field-flower, that evergreen tree of life! His bare shadow would be enough for me; a sight of Him would be the guarantee of heaven to me."If there were ten thousand thousand millions of worlds, and as many heavens, full of men and angels, Christ would not be pinched to supply all our wants, and to fill us all. Christ is a well of life; but who knows how deep it is to the bottom? Put the beauty of ten thousand thousand worlds of paradises, like the Garden of Eden, in one; put all trees, all flowers, all smells, all colors, all tastes, all joys, all loveliness, all sweetness in one. O what a fair and excellent thing would that be? And yet it would be less to that fair and dearest well-beloved Christ than one drop of rain to the whole seas, rivers, lakes, and fountains of ten thousand earths.

2010/9/1 16:17Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Edwards...

Yes -- what a wonderful sight! Sometimes, I think that, when I first see our Lord, I will just gaze at His face as Eternity passes by! I am not so concerned about a mansion as I am the One who built it! After all, He is the only One who truly matters! It reminds me of one of my favorite songs...

I'D RATHER HAVE JESUS
Written by Rhea Miller
Music by George Beverly Shea
Performed by Dallas Holm

Verse 1

I'd rather have Jesus
than silver or gold
I'd rather have Him
than riches untold

I'd rather have Jesus
than houses or land
I'd rather be led
by His nail scarred hand

(Chorus)

Than to be the king
of a vast domain
And be held
in sin's dread sway.
I'd rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.

Verse 2

I’d rather have Jesus
than men’s applause;
I’d rather be faithful
to His dear cause;

I’d rather have Jesus
than world-wide fame,
I’d rather be true
to His holy name.

(Repeat Chorus)

He’s fairer than lilies
of rarest bloom;
He’s sweeter than honey
from out of the comb;

He’s all that my hungering
spirit needs,
I’d rather have Jesus
and let Him lead.

(Repeat Chorus)

2010/9/2 23:49Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Beautiful song, Chris. One I learned in VBS when a child. Its lyrics are rich..the chorus wraps up the song wonderfully:

CHORUS:
Than to be the king
of a vast domain
And be held
in sin's dread sway.
I'd rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.

If one can keep this in focus, nothing else will matter much, will it?

ginnyrose

2010/9/4 9:43Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy