SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : 1 Kings 13

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

1 Kings 13

I have been meditating on this chapter off and on for over a year now. It is such a stark and unique passage of scripture. It is teaching me a principle that older believers can some times want to drag younger ones down because the younger ones are shaming the older through their obedience to God. There is a way in which they have become soft in their service, and they want the camaraderie and elbow rubbing and meal sharing in order to boast of their old days of service...

It is also showing me a freeing principle of service. I am not sure that I have totally grasped and put into practice the lesson yet, but I see here that I can be free in my service to God to respond to Him and what he is telling me to do and not be concerned with finding boldness to obey God through the consensus I find in others around me. (Do not take from this a false implication that we are to any way be disrespectful, or non-submissive to our elders in the faith - you would be wrongly interpreting my conclusions) We must learn to have an integrity to God in our service to him and see what His will is for us, not what our Elders will is.

I have a real good friend who was offered when he was young to be a missionary Bible instructor in one of the most beautiful places on earth. Literally, the beach this place is next to is world renowned for its remoteness and stark Pacific beauty. He did not feel though, that God was calling him to do it. There are thousands...no tens of thousands of young men who would have jumped through fire if this particular pastor had offered them such an opportunity. This young man decided rather, to take a youth pastorate in one of the dumpiest little towns in Idaho, learning to teach a handful of teens the word of God, in a less than prodigious position. Little did this young man know that a few years later he would be given the responsibility to shepherd a flock of over three thousand people.

The purpose of this story is not to say that large flocks are good things and the destiny of those who do things right. The message is that integrity as a young believer before God is important. We should not let the cynicism, or the personal motives and agendas of older believers squash our vision. Only the giftings and callings of God are without repentance.

On the flipside, as I put myself in the shoes of the older prophet, I discover the stark reality and importance of fanning the flames of faith in others and never cause a little one to stumble, unless I want to go down to the local mill-stone neck hangar tailor, and charter a deep sea fishing boat while I am at it. My attitude should always be one that wants to lift the sails of another persons faith. I should always want to get underneath their burdens and lift them higher so they can see further than they did before.

There are lions, sepulchers, and deep depression in our futures should we not learn from these unnamed prophets.

2010/8/19 11:40Profile

Re: 1 Kings 13

Nobody walks on water sitting in the boat.

We need be encouraging others to push the envelope, then cheer them onto walking deeper in Jesus Christ. Submersed in Him, many waters are no obstacle.

Amen?

i don't know if i'm old or not: 48. This body finds renewal in serving Him.

Think about Paul at the onset of the Lord's designated ministry for him. In Galatians he said, "i conferred not with flesh and blood."

We all would do well to heed such considerations, standing on the promises of God, communing with Him regarding the why's and wherefore's.

This thread, your post, is needed for this time.

THANX!

g

edited: mishpellink

2010/8/19 17:41
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

"Nobody walks on water sitting in the boat."

I have heard people give Peter a hard time for falling in the water for taking his eyes off of Christ, I wondered when the last time was that they walked on waves...

Amen Phan.

The quote from Galatians is one of my favorites as well. It speaks so much about a quality of Character.

2010/8/20 0:19Profile

Re: 1 Kings 13

Areadymind,

Thanks for your leading post. It is a blessing and an encouragement to me at this time. One thing in scripture which causes me wonder again and again, is how often God varies His word to His men as they walk with Him in their generation. I don't mean He changes His character, but that they can never depend on their past experience to know how He's going to direct them in the next situation in which they call on Him for guidance. In this way, He communicates our need to depend on Him continuously.

2010/8/20 7:28

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy