SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Lamp Oil?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

I would also like to suggest for consideration as well, that Parables are also not a culmination or continuation of biblical typology either.

2010/8/19 13:54Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Well, I would say each parable needs to be examined on an individual basis before saying that they never have allegory. Some of them most certainly do, as in the case of the parable of the sower. But, allegorical parables are rare. Generally, they need to be thought of in the "gotchch'a" sense.

2010/8/19 14:01Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Do you mean it is allegorical in the sense that within it are multiple "ah ha's?" Or do you mean that there is "hidden meaning."

As another tip, Parables are not to be a springboard or catch basin for someone to isogete their favorite theological structure into.

There are two sermons I have heard on this website where the individuals dissect the parable of the pearl of great price, and because each individual has a separate theological way to approach scripture, they vehemently pit themselves against one another in their interpretation, one of which seemed to do so with a degree of anger in their tone that anyone would see it any other way than how he did.

2010/8/19 14:09Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

BTW K.J. I did not say that Parables would not have a similarity to allegory. But a parable is a parable. It is a particular teaching style which we do not use in our culture in the way Jesus did. We interpret them with a modern Greek mind to our own folly.

There is a well known bible teacher whom I know of that confessed after years and years of having taught all the way through scripture numerous times that his greatest regret in teaching was on the parables because he had no idea how to interpret them.

I say what I say from experience...I have been rebuked about this by someone better than I, I am very appreciative that I was. It was a humbling and rather revolutionary moment. I see the gospels in a whole new and better light now. As I consider a parable, I do so with trepidation and a mind to scour away pre-conceived notions.

2010/8/19 16:19Profile

Re: Lamp Oil?

by Crux on 2010/8/19 3:48:31

In the parable of the ten virgins what is the oil that is being talked of? I'm quite certain it's not the "anointing" that some faith healers want you to top up on during soaking meetings and such. What is it though?
------------------------------------------------------------

What is it?

Every parable has at least three meanings, sometimes more, aside from the actual aggadah (story) being told.

Every aggadah Jesus told needs to be taken in context with the events leading up to the telling. If one does not see how they fit together, stick with the simple account of both the events leading up to the telling and the story itself.

When i was a child, it was always repeated to me that a parable is a story about earthly events with a spiritual meaning.

There is a particular word for this tendency to make metaphors and allegorize parables, most everybody should not have trouble pronouncing it either, no matter how practiced you are in pronouncing greek or not. the word is hogwash. Parables mean what they say and say what they mean relative to the events preceeding them.

There may be a spiritual meaning; but praytell, how does any human do anything spiritual without a body to do it?
All things are spiritual, and there is no division between spiritual and physical activity while dwelling in our flesh. Everything one does is spiritual, including exist.

Shalom,
g

2010/8/19 17:29
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Lamp Oil?

Remember that parables can be over-analyzed and we can try to assign a literal meaning to everything in the parable and get a little off in our interpretation. There were 10 who were invited, but only 5 had that which they needed to be admitted. The others wanted to bootleg oil off of those who had it, but were told to go get their own (The fact that they were told to buy simply means "go get your own".). The ten who had it were watchful and not only had the lamps full of oil but the wicks trimmed. I believe the fullness of the lamps indicative of the fullness of a believer with the presence of the Holy Spirit. It indicates a current and active relationship with the Lord. It is a life that is being lived each day continually being in a state of being filled with the presence of the Holy Spirit.

2010/8/19 19:48Profile

Re:

If the wick is not trimmed the lamp doesn't burn bright.

What if these 10 asleep meant they were actually dead?

2010/8/19 21:50
knitefall

Re:

"What if these 10 asleep meant they were actually dead?"

Yeah! Now we are getting somewhere!

If you're still under the law of death and condemnation, that means you have no Grace working in your life. So then, indeed, you're dead.

Now, If there be that Grace, it is the same as saying that you've been Saved by denying your ways(way of the world) and you have a brand new, imputed Righteousness that is not of your own. Because it's Jesus' Righteousness. Hence, the need for Grace.

2010/8/19 23:25Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

This parable is so very relevant for our day. It is the midnight hour, it is very dark, and Jesus is coming soon.

Without oil to fuel the lamp we cannot see in the darkness. We are blind to all that God desires to do in this hour of darkness. How do we get the oil to see?

"And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him. I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work. As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world. When he had thus spoken, he spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and he anointed the eyes of the blind man with the clay, And said unto him, Go, wash in the pool of Siloam, (which is by interpretation, Sent.) He went his way therefore, and washed, and came seeing."
(John 9:1-7)

He came seeing after going to the pool "Sent". When we are given over to His purpose, to work the work of Him who sent us, then we will come seeing with oil in the lamp.

Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh? Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy rereward. Then shalt thou call, and the LORD shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity; And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noonday:
(Isaiah 58:6-10)

When we are given to loose bands, break yokes, and deal bread to the hungry, then the darkness of the midnight hour shall be as noonday.

In Christ,

Ron

2010/8/20 11:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy