SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Obeying God rather than men

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Obeying God rather than men

Acts 5:29 KJV
Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said , We ought to obey God rather than men.

John 12:43 KJV
For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.

Romans 2:29 KJV
But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly ; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

1 Samuel 15
21 But the people took of the spoil, sheep and oxen, the chief of the things which should have been utterly destroyed, to sacrifice unto the LORD thy God in Gilgal. 22 And Samuel said , Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams. 23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king. 24 And Saul said unto Samuel, I have sinned : for I have transgressed the commandment of the LORD, and thy words: because I feared the people,

Proverbs 29:25 KJV
The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe .

This is an issue in my life that is with I constantly face! Do we obey men. Even in churches or church leaders face this situation do I preach a sermon that everyone likes or do I just preach what god wants me to preach!

I have been thinking about the case of David and Goliath. David was a youth who was trained with his father sheep, a man who had the anointing yet Saul who would have been an easily suitable match for Goliath. As Goliath was 9 foot tall and Saul was the tallest amongst the Israelites!

David even thou he had training and was qualified with his sling as this would have taken him years to master. To fire a stone with that accuracy at a small target. He had much backlash from his Brother and others.

What I find interesting about the concept of say revival is that we expect church to go on as normal if God moves or we expect God to continue on in the same way that he has in the past causing no disruptions or disturbances.

We expect God to move say in our limited time period say on Sunday between say our morning service and then go away again and then come back and move then during our evening service.

The thing is do we really want god do we really want to count the cost of being a christian,
William Tyndale during the time which he lived it was the death penalty even if you owned one of his bibles, yet in an age we do not value the bible, as we have the ability to listen to it on our phone and even read it on our phone.

The reason I struggle is that sometimes as churches or even as individuals , I know in my own life, that God could have used me amazingly more if I obeyed him more, but I know I have been scared of men being an extremely sensitive person, when I think of the foxes book of martyrs I amazed at the power of endurance to survive persecution!

When looking at giants in my life, which are way above 12 feet tall. I would think it is my own disobedience to God and the worldly things that I do not know how to conquer!

1 John 2:16 KJV
For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

People think that doing nothing is the answer, not praying not seeking God

Matthew 12:30 KJV
He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad .

As a christian there is no neutral ground, if we are not praying and seeking God, we are with the enemy. I have been finding and realizing even that without God I can do nothing and i struggle to pray even five minutes. My giants of prayerless seem to be looming in my life!
Sometimes I do not want to pray because I know that if I do pray and seek God I may get a backlash from the enemy or if I do evangelize people may think less of me! the problem is peoples opinions do not matter in the long term what God matters and thinks of you is the main opinion!

Another thing that God has been convicting me of is getting honest with God, as he knows everything about our life.

With my Dad formerly being a pastor, People do general services just to keep people happy rather than obeying God, the thing is people are worried about people leaving church! I think I remember a story that someone told me about the Russian KJB attacking a christian church and making out as if they were going to take everyone away.

The people who really believed in Jesus stayed and it turned out that the KJB officers were actually christian just testing to see whether they were actually true christians or not!

I sometimes marvel at the older puritans who would preach about sin so that people if they were actually winning to go to church, they would not teach on something that would tickle there ears, I ask the questions in my life
Am I willing to obey God? Do I have the strength to obey God? What will it cost me to obey God?

Luke 9
24 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.

To me I have lost friends, churches, jobs and other things for Jesus, what will you give up for Jesus?

I also know that I cannot obey Jesus without Jesus I cannot obey the Lord without the Lord!

Jesus could have stayed up in heaven and let us rot in Hell and he could have stayed in the Palaces of Heaven he did not need to save us from our sin and come down and as man? What can we do for him?

2010/8/7 5:52Profile

Re: Obeying God rather than men

Thank you for the word, brother. Be encouraged. 'Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.' 2 Tim 3:12. I'd guess I'm not the only one reading your post, who can identify with the all issues you raise.

17 Thou therefore gird up thy loins, and arise, and speak unto them all that I command thee: be not dismayed at their faces, lest I confound thee before them. {confound: or, break to pieces} 18 For, behold, I have made thee this day a defenced city, and an iron pillar, and brasen walls against the whole land, against the kings of Judah, against the princes thereof, against the priests thereof, and against the people of the land. 19 And they shall fight against thee; but they shall not prevail against thee; for I [am] with thee, saith the LORD, to deliver thee. Jeremiah 1

'but they shall not prevail against thee; for I [am] with thee to deliver thee, saith the Lord.'

And Saul said unto Samuel, I have sinned: for I have transgressed the commandment of the LORD, and thy words: because I feared the people, and obeyed their voice. 1 Sam 15:24

It's easy to find scripture verses, but trusting the Lord AS He works to establish His words in us through our repeated obediences to them, is a very necessary fact of faith in action, of being believing, until Christ's character be formed IN us.

2010/8/7 7:23
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Obeying God rather than men

Deltadom: Thank you for this post brother. I have come to realize that very few of us are totally free from the fear of man and the desire to please man. It is something that God has been setting me free from by degrees. The temptation to please man is often very subtle and always very real. But praise be to God that He sets us free from the fear of man by the power of the Holy Spirit.

2010/8/7 9:04Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy