SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : History and me

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
buttermilk80

Ohio

History and me

There is a village in a clearing surrounded by deep woods. The people of the village live in security and go about peacefully and joyfully behind a high wall. All day long they speak of good things to come and enjoy the fruit of their labors. One day a simple man was walking the cat walk at the top of the wall. A glint of light from the forest caught his eye and he stopped to focus. He saw it again and knew in a heart beat that what he saw was the glint of sunlight off the tip of a spear. As he watched he also saw the brilliant light of the sun shine briefly off a sword. As he watched he also began to listen. Putting his hand to his ears he could hear the whispers of men. Though he couldn't make out what they were saying, he understood the tone of their conversation. War. They were patiently waiting for an opportunity to attack his peaceful town.

He rushed down the steps and went to talk with one of the elders. Reluctantly the elder followed him up the stairs to the place where he had seen and heard the trouble that was brewing. After some time and effort the elder also heard the voices. He looked sternly at the man and told him to tell no one. He explained that he would confer with the other elders to see what best to do. The man trusted the elder and remained at the wall.

After a time, the elder returned with 5 others and instructed them on what the situation was. With great effort, the other elders too heard the voices and some saw the metal glinting in the sun. They huddled together with whispers and kept the man at distance. At length, the elders turned on the wall and looked out over the citizens. They took note of the peace and joy of their people and decided not to say anything about their new found knowledge. Then the first elder turned to the man and told him to go home and not to spread this information to anyone.

The man looked at the elder with astonishment. But his gaze was returned by a skowl. Obediently he turned and went to his house. Days passed and the man became consumed by the danger he had seen. He tossed the issue of the elders over and over. On the 4th day he decided he could hold in his concern no longer. He went out from his house and told the first person he saw about what had happened. But he found no interest. The person told him that the elders had warned everyone about the man. The elders had been telling everyone to pay no attention to the man, for he had crossed over from sanity.

Great sadness over took the man for a time. Then the day came when the enemy began to appear in the clearing. As the people realized what was happening panic ensued. They bolted the gate and locked away their valuables. But as they were preparing to defend their place, a portion of the wall was broken down and the enemy rushed in. All the people were killed. From fighting men to servants. From mothers to babies. The goods they had locked away were found. The scrolls of their history were burned. The town was utterly destroyed. And but for this story, no one would even think of them.

Such is the state of today's affairs. There are some warning of impending doom. But they are not heard. We have a nation being led by lies and deception. But we go about our affairs as though there's nothing to fear. We accept as "politically correct" the embrace of sin. Homosexuals rule law. Liars judge. Divorce is just a breaking of a legal contract. Babies are murdered in their mothers bodies. The call to party is louder than ever. Riches and gain are the moral desire. Advertisment is the bible of the masses. Church is a building. Holiness is rarely considered as manditory. Jesus loves everybody they say. There is a popular notion that a loving God would not send people to hell. Prayer is something we do when we're in trouble. Violence consumes our streets. Horror is the joy of the cinema. And we say and do nothing.

Those who warn of the judgment of God are considered insane. We live in a place where it is more important to "shut up" than to cry out. We're suppose to accept the ungodly as our leaders. We allow the enemy of our nation to build monuments to their cause. Our elected leader and his group who lead use lies and strip us of our freedom while they urge us to trust them.

The judgment of God on America is sure and true. We wanted our way and pushed His way to the back room. The created is now telling the Creator that we don't need Him or want to listen. God once said that because we don't listen to Him, He will not listen to us. When you cry out to God is it that you might know His will? Are you willing to lay down your life for Him? You decide. What I have written convicts me of my sins too. But should a man remain silent because he too is guilty? Will the vengeance of God be stemmed by a nation of complacency? We all stand before Him on our own. Do not think you can call yourself a friend of God and remain at peace with the world. Turn to righteousness, holiness, and humble yourself before the Lord of Spirits. He is calling and warning. It is almost to late to respond.

By His Grace. buttermilk80.wordpress.com/

2010/8/5 11:17Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: History and me

Unfortunately this is all true. The state of the USA is aweful. When salt and light no longer preserve and shine the world it left to itself.

Jer 5:31 The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests bear rule by their means; and my people love [to have it] so: and what will ye do in the end thereof?

It is true that many in the church are oblivious. However I am encouraged that a remant is arising out of her midst that are serious about the condition of the church, world, and their own souls.

I heed your warning, and I too have been convicted in recent times, and daily as well. We better be about out Father' business. The time is short.

Rom 5:20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

Sin is certainly abounding, but so is God' grace on His people. He has a people.

Rom 11:4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to [the image of] Baal.

God always has a remant.

Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Hbr 13:6 So that we may boldly say, The Lord [is] my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

Luk 10:2 Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly [is] great, but the labourers [are] few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.

I believe the reason the country is in the shape it is is because we have stopped being salt and light. We are way too busy to be that. We enjoy this world way too much and would miss it if it passes away. We like our possessions, communities, jobs, friends, etc. Oh and we want to see our kids graduate, get married and raise grandkids. These are not bad things, but they have taken the place of our calling. We are called to come out from among them an to be separate. That isn't geographical, but internal. We are not of this world, as He was not of this world, but we act like we are.

Jhn 8:23 And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world.

Jhn 15:19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

1Jo 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things [that are] in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Mat 10:37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

2Ti 2:4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of [this] life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

I would say to all of us. How settled are we? How much do we long to see His appearing? Do we really realize how far spent the day is. We are in the final hour, and we act like it is never going to end.

2Pe 3:3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as [they were] from the beginning of the creation.
10 ¶ But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
11 [Seeing] then [that] all these things shall be dissolved, what manner [of persons] ought ye to be in [all] holy conversation and godliness,
2Pe 3:12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

2Ti 4:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Lord wake us up. Let us not be taken unawares.

Thanks for sharing this buttermilk80

2010/8/5 12:19Profile
dbiser

Re:

Amen brother; there is much for us to consider in our place of history for the here and the now. We are to sound the warning. We are to tell the truth of what is coming. We simply must know that it has always been this way that men,having ears, woudl not hear. One of the saddest plight in Revelation, that after the judgements falling on them, they would not repent. What? After seeing all the destruction, they hardened their hearts and would not repent. Why must it be so? Because the Lord God is righteous in all His ways. He will not make a mistake in the judgments of this land, the church or our families. sound forth this truth to warn as many as possible and the grace and mercy of God will redeem those that give place to 'take heed'. The other thing is for us to pray, and not stop that 'who knows if the Lord will return and leave a blessing behind Him'. My constant prayer right now is, 'IN wrath remember mercy'.

2010/8/5 12:27Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re:

Amen to that

2010/8/5 15:39Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: History and me

Love this allegory. It is so true

Thanks for sharing.

ginnyrose