· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Help Support
· Contact Us

Share SI with others - Add a website link or image banner on your website or blog.

Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : 

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
allensmith

2010/8/5 8:12Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Where's the Church?

And your point is...

2010/8/5 8:46Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: Where's the Church?

I have to agree with you, but say that at this point only God can bring it together, and as you said it is the enemy of our souls that needs to be battled. We battle not against flesh & blood but against spiritual wickedness in high places.

I grew up spiritually in a church in Alaska that was named Abbott Loop Christian Center. The founder believed that the bible way to name a church was after the place where it was. It was on Abbott Loop Road. But even this is not the solution to what you are talking about. However it was formed that way to try to adhere to biblical pattern, and our pastor tried very hard to do that.

You are right that the church is called to be one, and that sure isn't happening now. But what man has meddled in and messed up, God is going to redeem. The only way for that to happen is by a visitation of the Holy Spirit that God will pour out on His church to make it one. Prayer is the only way to effect this.

I will tell you the world is watching us. My husband's biggest gripe about the church is just what you said, but from an non-believers perspective. He sees the huge waste of resources by having a "church building" on ever corner. The expensive buildings and programs, etc. all could be used for furthering the gospel if we lived simply and as good stewards of Gods resources, meeting house to house.

The early church met house to house, but they did still visit the temple, I believe to be witness. We need to return to meeting house to house. This is the way family is built. We can really grieve with those who grieve and rejoice with those who rejoice when we are in family relationship, and every member can add his part to the whole, not just one man up front.

As it is now we send visiting ministers to a lonely hotel, probably mostly because we don't want our "privacy" disturbed, and don't involve other members of the body in our lives, probably for the same reason. We are just too busy to get involved. But God has His ways of changing that. We will see a people come together in real family relationship in the very near future. In fact it is happening in places already. These people are living the sermon on the mount, forgetting about themselves, and pouring out their lives for others. Selfishness is what has really reigned in the church for years, but God is raising up a crucified people who love to be poured out.

I have to agee with much of what you have shared here. We are a dis-jointed body. It is time to prophecy to those dry bones and see them stand up one new man.

I appreciate the fact that your recognise who the enemy is in all this and are not attacking people. Most of the people involved in this division believe they are just doing what God wants them to by being involved in a church fellowship and I won't call all churchs wrong. I just say the division between all churches is wrong. We are one and need to be one. As it is pride and arrogance cause many church folks to shun and look down on others. God has His ways of dealing with this. We have our way as well, and it is called intercession.

How about if we in "the" body of Christ make a covenant to agree in intercession that the body will be one all over the world. We can effect this change as we pour out our lives and seek His face for turned hearts. Amen?

2010/8/5 9:12Profile
terrybob

Yorkshire, England

Re: where is the church

Goldminer wrote:

Quote:
How about if we in "the" body of Christ make a covenant to agree in intercession that the body will be one all over the world. We can effect this change as we pour out our lives and seek His face for turned hearts. Amen?

Amen to that for we know this is the will of God.

The oneness of all who believe is close to the heart of Jesus (John Ch17 v21). Earlier He spoke with his disciples with the parable of the vine and the branches (John Ch16 v1-17). In Ch 16 He speaks of the work of the Holy Spirit.

The churches on every street corner are the creation of, mainly, believing people who perhaps in generations past had a true understanding and experience of the risen Christ and His saving power. As with most things down to people tradition sets in and as time goes by, each succeeding generation perpetuated the church organisation because, “this is who we are, how we do things here and if it was good enough for grandpa its good enough for me” Some, of course, are still peopled with truly born again people with a vibrant and ongoing witness, so it is not true of all.

Along with the individual identification that folk have in their particular denomination or persuasion comes the division and promotion of particular doctrines or interpretations that they hold dear – enter pride.

The vine is rooted in God and the life of the vine is the life of Christ and the branches are you and me who are born again. As I read the posts and responses on this web site it is clear to me that brothers and sisters throughout the world have the same experiences during the course of our spiritual lives. As the Holy Spirit lives in each of us wherever we find ourselves in the world - He recognises His own whatever their emphasis – Psalm 42 speaks of a man’s soul thirsting for God and v7 NIV

“Deep calls to deep
in the roar of your waterfalls;
in all your waves and breakers
have swept over me”

Like many who may read this I have recognised, worked and prayed with saints from many different Christian heritage backgrounds who know and love Jesus and give all that they have to follow Him, for deep calls to deep.

The church of Christ is one in Him it is just that the world cannot see it but they can see and hear Him at work in us.

God bless you all and keep you ever in His love and Spirit.

Terry

2010/8/5 11:26Profile
allensmith

Amen!

I bet your pastor tried very hard indeed to conform, but still this is only a the tip of the iceberg...

I believe you're right about a building being costly and unnecessary, take for example the Church in Jerusalem was several thousand in number, hence they started meeting in houses, and only on specific occasions meet as a whole.

"We are a dis-jointed body. It is time to prophecy to those dry bones and see them stand up one new man." Amen.

There is a 'universal' Church, that comprises of all the local churches. If the local churches aren't one, how can the 'universal' body be one?

I believe when we step up the pace, and start praying for ONENESS, we'll surely see results, for then you are praying in accordance with God's will. And if we ask anything in accordance to His will, He hears us - what assurance!

2010/8/5 12:02Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re: Amen!

I bet we would be surprised how many people whom virtually congregate here on SI come from all sorts of different backgrounds. Do we not see the fruits of unity here in that? I know there are lots of debates, but there is something else going on here is there not?

"Until we all come to the unity of the faith..."

In Christ with Love

Jer.

2010/8/5 12:07Profile
allensmith

2010/8/5 12:10Profile
Oracio

Long Beach CA USA

Re: Amen!

Areadymind wrote

Quote:
I bet we would be surprised how many people whom virtually congregate here on SI come from all sorts of different backgrounds. Do we not see the fruits of unity here in that? I know there are lots of debates, but there is something else going on here is there not?

I been thinking along these lines as well. I love this site because there are many who come on here who genuinely want to seek the Lord and see Him do a great work in His Church and in the world. This is despite all our differences in terms of our "church backgrounds".

I currently am looking to find actual fellowship in my area and am having a hard time doing so. I do not just have in mind "attending" a worship service on Sunday and then just going about my business, without getting to know other believers. I understand that some churches do encourage cell groups or home bible studies so that believers can be more acquainted with each other. But in my current locality I have not seen any churches that encourage this. To most believers this type of fellowship is completely foreign. They are just used to attending services and living an individualistic Christian life. So for me sites/forums like this provide the most genuine/interactive type of fellowship among the brethren.

This to me is a sad state of affairs for the Body of Christ. As great as "Cyber-Fellowship" can be, and as great as attending services can be, this is not what God fully intended for His Body as a main form of fellowship. Sometimes I wish all who come here could just move to the same location and form a church/or network that would foster genuine community, as well as encourage revival and evangelism.

I've been doing evangelism in my neighborhood, feeding the homeless and preaching the gospel to them, and praying for God to move in such a way as to convict and convert those who hear. I am praying for the Lord to give me souls that I may help disciple, and hopefully form a fellowship with using my apartment. So if you think about it please pray for me. Thanks in advance. God bless.
Oracio

2010/8/5 13:50Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re:

Well Oracio if you have a house you can have a fellowship with all those you are ministering to. The church is where we are.

Have you heard of Frances Chan? Is he near you. That might be a good place to connect.

2010/8/5 15:37Profile
Oracio

Long Beach CA USA

Re:

Quote:
Well Oracio if you have a house you can have a fellowship with all those you are ministering to. The church is where we are.

Quote:
Have you heard of Frances Chan? Is he near you. That might be a good place to connect.

Thanks Goldminer. I have considered Francis Chan. His former church is too far from me. Not sure if you are aware but he stepped down from being the pastor and is currently seeking direction from the Lord. He is not keeping contact with anyone right now, other than those he already knows.

2010/8/5 16:09Profile

©2002-2014 SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy