Omaha, NE

Re: ego

Ego is pride, ego is self; GOD cannot
rule when pride and self are in charge.

2010/8/4 13:49Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Pride is the greatest root of every sin. It is why we are all in this mess known as fallen creation. Pride is what set Lucifer against God, and is what was the result of all whom sinned in Adam. Nothing hinders us more, nothing hurts others more...

When Jesus came to earth He was not like other men, he was not like other prophets, he came to lay the axe at the root of the tree of sin. There is no axe greater than the cross, and there is no root more thick and corrupt than pride.

God, manifest in His Son, said, "I am meek, and lowly in heart." It is only in Christ that man can understand the consequence of his/her pride. When Adam fell, Pride entered man, pride acts as a blinder to the intentions and love of God. Unless our eyes are opened to our own pride, we are utterly lost, the opening of the eyes may happen in different ways for different people, but must be the root that the crosses axe most deeply penetrates.

Why?

God ONLY gives grace to the humble. In order to be a recipient of grace one must become humble. There is no gate more narrow, no path more strewn with the rubble of chipped away pride than this path that Christ demands we walk.

Pride keeps us from obeying clear commands from scripture, and assists us in our ability to explain away God's words. Pride keeps brothers and sisters from true fellowship and confession. Pride rends the body of Christ into divisions.

I find it interesting that the Bible is so concerned about the imagery of Horns. Horns in scripture almost always are
are growing out of a rebellious creature, or the image of one. When we are prideful, in God's eyes He sees horns protruding from dark minds. Minds that have not been submitted to divine authority. In Nature, there is not an animal I know of that does not use its horns in some way for self promotion, for making followers after themselves. For establishing their authority over the rest of their brothers and sisters through the tyranny of oppression.

We must cut off our horns and attach them to the Alter of sacrifice.

May God kill our pride. I hope, dear one, that Jesus helps you to understand what I am saying. I did not even understand it for years and years after I thought I had become a believer. Praise God he is still in the business of opening blind eyes.

2010/8/4 14:40Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

"Ego is pride, ego is self; GOD cannot
rule when pride and self are in charge."

So true, Amen brother.

2010/8/4 14:41Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

looking4life on 2010/8/4 15:46:11 writes:
"Is ego sin?"

ego is just the Greek word for 'I'. It is what I mean when I say 'me'.

Psychologists speak about the 'ego' as an element of the way in which the 'mind' operates and it is part of Freud's threefold construct of id, ego and super-ego. The idea of a the 'ego' being a part of me is NOT a Bible insight but part of Freudian psychology.

When the Bible uses the word 'ego' it does not mean a part of me but the whole of me.

It is easily missed that the idea of 'the self' which comes into quite a lot of preaching is not really a Bible construct but a psychological one. Don't think of 'the self' as some kind of self-functioning compartment of 'me'.

Is 'me' sin? It can be if I allow my life to be shaped by 'me' and 'my desires'. There is an antidote...

"and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again." 2 Cor 5:15 NKJV

2010/8/5 6:17Profile
Logic

Re:

Everyone has an "ego" (self-image).
The question is, "what is your ego like?"

2010/8/5 17:40Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

"ego" and "self-image" really aren't the same thing at all. At the basic level ego is who I am, self-image is who I think I am.

2010/8/6 3:48Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy