SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Rich/Poor in the Kingdom of Heaven

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
njhoover

Rich/Poor in the Kingdom of Heaven

Thank God for 2 Peter 1:20

"knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation."

I've been trying to do it all on my own. The reason why I've been doing it on my own is because I believe the Holy Spirit will always guide me to truth. But I keep making mistakes in interpretation, that perhaps a brother or a sister has made in the past and could have helped me avoid.

Here's where I need the advice of some more mature brothers and sisters in Christ.

In Mathew 13:44 it says:

“The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.

“Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it."

My grandfather tells me these things mean that what Christ did for us is very important. I understand that, but why does it say they had to sell all they had to buy it?

In Mathew 19:23 the rich man asks "what more should I do?" and Jesus tells him to sell all his possessions and he will have treasure in heaven.

In Mathew 19:21 it says
"And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name’s sake, will receive a hundredfold and will inherit eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and the last first."

What's that "and will inherit eternal life" about? Are we to sell our possessions as a litmus test to get into heaven?

In James 2:5 he says:
"Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him? But you have dishonored the poor man."

The phrase that snags onto me is the "heirs of the kingdom." By their standards, we in the western world are all rich. So, by being rich are we not heirs to the kingdom?

And in James 5:
"Come now, you rich, weep and howl for the miseries that are coming upon you. Your riches have rotted and your garments are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver have corroded, and their corrosion will be evidence against you and will eat your flesh like fire. You have laid up treasure in the last days."

But in 1 Timothy 6:17
"As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life."

So having things isn't bad if you share them and are rich in good deeds. I have more scriptures about this but I think this is enough.

Can someone more experienced please share the wisdom the Holy Spirit has given you on this subject?

Christ's peace to you,
Nathan

2010/7/31 22:19Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re: Rich/Poor in the Kingdom of Heaven

I suspect Nathan that the Holy Spirit is speaking something to your heart that may be occluded through much commentary by others.

I have asked these kinds of questions from "older" believers before, I almost always get a response that sounds like, "calm down, don't take this stuff so seriously." I am praying that the Holy Spirit, whom is your true teacher, answers this one for you brother.

2010/8/1 11:19Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

All the riches of grace lie hid with
Christ. HE is the pearl of great price,
the only treasure worth seeking and
having !!

2010/8/1 18:05Profile

by njhoover on 2010/7/31 18:19:26

In Mathew 13:44 it says:

“The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.

“Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it."
------------------------------------------------------------

Wouldn't a persons perspective change regarding these parables if the man and the merchant were none other than Jesus?

How many times, if ever, did Jesus through parables not allude to Himself and His Kingdom?

What's that "and will inherit eternal life" about? Are we to sell our possessions as a litmus test to get into heaven?
------------------------------------------------------------

Don't confuse eternal life for immortality.

Jesus gave up everything to make possible walking in a complete relationship of 'eternal life' with us. According to our recognition that nothing is rightfully ours anymore, but something we have been entitled as bond-slaves to use according to His pleasure, even so God's relationship with us flows forth accordingly. His very nature and life is eternal, and when we yeild to His purposes in what we once thought was ours, even so His eternal life manifests through this relationship.

From the above, you can perhaps see why James says what he says about the poor being rich in faith(fulness). Those who have not yeilded 'their' rights to God, on the other hand, will end up becoming the true definition of poor when all is said and done.

Jesus made it clear that is of no gain to a human to possess the world for the sake of never possessing your own soul. Things make people slaves to them, ultimately becoming their godz.

This is why Paul says to set your hope on things eternal: An abiding relationship with God in all that you find to do, have, and become.

It's not so much about sharing as it is recognizing all things are a gift from God, and in giving Him what our life consists of, everything is His.

This is the essence of walking with and in God through the New Covenant in Jesus Christ.

Love, hope, and faith,
gregg

p.s. Ya' know, this don't come easy? It's ain't like 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of another. It be more like, when you think you have given Him what you thought was to be His dozen, it was really a baker's dozen that should have been your worship...and then there are other goodies that you don't even realize right then that still exist in the bakery.

He who is faithful in little is also faithful in much.

You come to find in continual yeilding (of: rights, possessions, activities, etc...) you end up with more than you had when whatever it is, is offered up to God ...because, even if something may not be in your posession at present, simply by abiding in a loving relationship in Him, you are provided more than what you need b4 you ask... and He gives you answers to upcoming problems like this as well. (Matt. 6:33)

2010/8/1 18:37
njhoover

Re:

Yes but I came across the beatitudes today in Luke 6: 20-23

"Looking at his disciples, he said:
“Blessed are you who are poor,
for yours is the kingdom of God.
Blessed are you who hunger now,
for you will be satisfied.
Blessed are you who weep now,
for you will laugh.
Blessed are you when men hate you,
when they exclude you and insult you
and reject your name as evil,
because of the Son of Man.
“Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their fathers treated the prophets."

Now here's what struck me! Luke 6:24 says

“But woe to you who are rich,
for you have already received your comfort."

And Luke 6:25-27

"Woe to you who are well fed now,
for you will go hungry."

And then there's Luke 13:23-25

Someone asked him, “Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?”

He said to them, “Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, ‘Sir, open the door for us.’"

I need some help.

EDIT: adding to this is the fact that Paul thought of getting to heaven as a race where one's actions can disqualify him in 1 Corinthians 9:24-27

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."

He says he doesn't want to be disqualified from the race. Heaven must be an incredibly narrow door.

2010/8/1 20:30Profile

Re:

From the Greek, that door can be compared to a turnstyle that one must push and sqeeze to get through.

You are all that can make it through, and you can't fit anything through it along with you.

That door is very narrow...

...yet THE PATH after inside the door grows narrower as one progresses.

The issue is not going to heaven.

Unless there is a zoe (life(eternal)) relationship in God, it is not going to happen:
not the door...
not the path...
nothing follows.

Now, Abraham was sooo very wealth, yet he is the Father of all the faithful.

The issue is faithfulness to God, not heaven and not posessions. It becomes an apathy towards anything else in comparison to knowing and understanding God.

No relationship with the Father through Jesus Christ and we can just forget even about the path.

Jesus is the door.
John 10

Agape,
g

p.s. Consider what Jesus said in truth in Jn. 3:13

2010/8/1 21:38
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Quote:
I suspect Nathan that the Holy Spirit is speaking something to your heart that may be occluded through much commentary by others.

This is a very good word, which should certainly be heeded. No one can tell you the will of the Lord except the Lord Himself.
I have also had some of these same verses come up recently nathan. Which I am still unclear of His leading for sure, but may the Lord perfect His working! Whereever, he will lead I will follow! :)

2010/8/1 21:51Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy