SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Kerry turns the Bible on born-again Bush

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Kerry turns the Bible on born-again Bush

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

FORT LAUDERDALE, United States (AFP) - Democratic challenger John Kerry turned the Bible against born-again Methodist President George W. Bush, arguing that his policies ran counter to America's moral foundation.

In a major speech on faith and morality, just nine days before the too-close-to-call election, Kerry implied that Bush's social, economic and health policies were immoral, unethical, and by extension un-American.

Quoting from the Bible, Kerry said his faith had taught him that "'whatever you do to the least of these, you do unto me.'"

"This means we have a moral obligation to one another, to the forgotten, and to those who live in the shadows," he said in an arts center in Broward county.

"This is a moral obligation at the heart of all our great religious traditions. It is also the vision of America ... the ethical test of a good society is how it treats its most vulnerable members."

Kerry said that under Bush, eight million Americans were out of work, 45 million were without health insurance, and families were struggling to send their children to college, or with offspring into combat overseas.

2004/10/25 17:04Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re: Kerry turns the Bible on born-again Bush

Interestingly, Kerry doesn't notice that the New Testament exhortations to looking after the fatherless and the widows (and, by extension, the others in true need) are directed at the church, not the civil government. He also doesn't seem to see that the context of the passage included acts of mercy such as giving a cup of cold water, or visiting in prison, nothing like "sending my children to college" or "sparing my offspring from military service." It would be a good deal easier for the church to deal with those problems if the government wasn't taking money from us to perform what are rightfully our duties. The whole problem can't be blamed entirely on taxes, though, the church still has more than enough wealth to obey these commands, and we need to repent of not doing so.

May God bring both candidates to a better understanding of what the Bible requires them (as president and senator, respectively, and whatever they end up as, in addition to those requirements binding on all), at least so they will know plainly what is required of them, and further bring them to actually obey, joyfully. The same for us, the Body of Christ.

2004/10/25 19:36Profile
mloaks

So. MD, USA

Re:

Anti-govt types who think all should be by choice will soon find themselves without a fire dept. Jesus paid His taxes from the mouth of a fish...
Correct that the church should repent; well put. But emasculating our nation is not being kind to 'the least of these'. W will only continue to slightly lessen your tax load, while giving his benefactors huge, unfair breaks while he grows the defecit (which brings to mind Jesus' advice about counting the costs before building the tower.). Sending youth to college is implicit as to to carring for the poor, and as for the DoD, Kerry's military record lends creadance over W skipping Guard drills.

Kerry was right, and the misguided who think W has a superior faith life simply ignore the obvious. Let's face it, for many Christians, it is all about abortion and the Supremes. These Christians would wreck the USA to get Roe overturned, legally or otherwise.
Thank you for the closing paragraph; well wrote!

2004/10/26 9:54Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
These Christians would wreck the USA to get Roe overturned, legally or otherwise.

Forty plus million babies have been murdered in their mother's womb since 1973 and their blood is crying from the ground for justice. Where are our tears? Will not the judge of all the earth do right? Will not God avenge the blood of the least of these? All roads are leading to the Judgment Seat. What do you suppose God is going to say about this?

The soul of this nation is split in two. When the righteous rule the people rejoice. But when the wicked seek to change laws and times that have stood since the foundation of the world; calling good evil and evil good; when the old land markers are removed and transgression is on every hand; the righteous are vexed from day to day.

There is only one way to be safe in this nation. It is to find yourself In Ezekiel 9 sighing and crying for the abominations that ae committed in this nation. Perhaps even now God has sent that majestic pen writer - inscribing the foreheads of those whose strong crying and tears have reached unto heaven. perhaps even at this moment the rider is heading out with his BATTLE AXE to smite those whose eyes are dry and have no sigh. What trevail and intercession; what depth of groaning of spirit; what sweat and tears; had we shed before God had we truly known the affront upon Him that this one sin alone has vexed His soul with. It is an attack on nearly EVERY last facet of His character and attributes; from His love to His holiness and from His mercy to His faithfulness. Had America shed the tears she ought for her abominations the rivers had carved the Grand Canyon afresh proportional to the depth of her shame.

Weep and howl America for the miseries that are coming upon you; your riches are corrupted and your garments are moth eaten. REPENT with strong crying and tears that perchance God may spare you and stay the hand of the cup of His indignation.

2004/10/26 10:48Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

“Weep and howl America for the miseries that are coming upon you; your riches are corrupted and your garments are moth eaten. REPENT with strong crying and tears that perchance God may spare you and stay the hand of the cup of His indignation.”

Weep and cry before the Lord, you pastors and Christian leaders.
Weep and cry before the Lord, Christians of all brands and denominations.
There is no time to be spent on emotional adventures or intellectual games.
There is no time to be spent on fabulous festivities or frantic partying.
The name of the game is vindication of the Name of the Most High.
The name of the game is adherence, perfect adherence to the absolute Lordship of the Holy Spirit.
Lars W.

2004/10/26 10:59Profile
Rahman

Re:

Keith wrote ...

Quote;
"The whole problem can't be blamed entirely on taxes, though, the church still has more than enough wealth to obey these commands, and we need to repent of not doing so".

If i'm not mistaken the bulk of the Church's financial intake is tax exempt as a non profit organization, although many are tempting the government to rescind such exemption by our speaking out politically in a partisan manner ... But i agree that there's more than enough money if we'd stop spending it on all the worldly, pretensious crap that we do ... i think our Lord is not pleased with His Church's unwise stewardship of the talents He's given us ... Why the custom made tailored suits of so many mega-star preachers, let alone their extravagant auto's and houses, could certainly be used to a better use towards feeding the poor ...

Amos;
6 Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of Israel, and for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because they sold the righteous for silver, and the poor for a pair of shoes;
7 That pant after the dust of the earth on the head of the poor, and turn aside the way of the meek: and a man and his father will go in unto the same maid, to profane my holy name:
8 And they lay themselves down upon clothes laid to pledge by every altar, and they drink the wine of the condemned in the house of their god.

God will force His Church to repent of it's greed ...

Mloaks wrote;

Quote;
"Let's face it, for many Christians, it is all about abortion and the Supremes. These Christians would wreck the USA to get Roe overturned, legally or otherwise".

Amen to that! ... This is the point i've been trying to get across ... It's not about the men, or the partys, or our personal preferences, but about Christian principals ... The reason why this Christian will vote (if you call this wrecking the USA) for Bush this election is that just on the "IF" Bush will appoint Supreme Court Justices that might overturn Roe vs Wade, i'm all for it, in that if any Christian doesn't think that abortion isn't/hasn't already wrecked the USA by Christ's standards/principals, then i'm praying for you ...

i for one concider the unborn as the least of these amongst us, for they certainly seem to be the most expendable, and now to the point of becoming concidered guinea pigs in embyonic stem cell research ... "IF" my vote can act as a resistor to what's written in the Revelation, if it can be just one single grain of saltier salt, or one shiver of light in the increasing darkness, that may stay the Hand of the Almighty to just one second more of grace to the salvation of some unsaved soul, then that's me, that's what i see my duty to be as one saint, and if i'm wrong i'll answer for it before God when my book is opened ... But until that time i'm suited up in the whole armor, with prayer and supplication, operating soley from behind my large shield of faith, and with the Sword of the Word of God cutting to and fro anythying that Christ's principles tells me is evil ... Amen

Many may think me extreme and dramatic, but the Word says that the kingdom of God is taken by "aggression" ... The Church of Christ might not understand such methodology, but the hordes of Hell sure do!

So many folk crying out to God, "Send us your prophets, send your prophets"! ... Lip service! ... For the prophets of God blare, "Stand up for right! ... Stand up for righteousness! ... Stand up for Christ"! ... Then we're quick to shut em up, ignore, or slay them when they're sent because really we're ALL a bunch of lazy good for nothings, who interpret "those who wait on the Lord", to our own selfish spiritual laziness ... God's about to end our complacency, and cease our "a little folding of the hands'! ... Nothing motivates like fire! ... Both kinds! ... He's warned ... He's waited ... And now He's weeping because He never wants to pour out judgment, but as always, we leave Him no other choice!

2004/10/26 11:08Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Weep and cry before the Lord, you pastors and Christian leaders.
Weep and cry before the Lord, Christians of all brands and denominations.
There is no time to be spent on emotional adventures or intellectual games.
There is no time to be spent on fabulous festivities or frantic partying.
The name of the game is vindication of the Name of the Most High.
The name of the game is adherence, perfect adherence to the absolute Lordship of the Holy Spirit.

Amen! In A.W. Tozers Doctrine of the Remnant he mentions that he had not been one for a lot of tears, but he could groan. What a groaning I feel in my soul for the Church in the West. God may this be our prayer that we would submit completely to the Lordship and leading of your Spirit.

2004/10/26 11:38Profile
dohzman

Re:

I cry when I see how american politics has used the church of Jesus Christ to further thier ends.But the church blindly follows thier ways and is falling for a bunch of half elected officials who happen to quote bible---did not even the devil and angels of light do the same???? If Bush gets in will america say peace peace?if Kerry gets in will america say peace peace? I tell you now that there shall be no peace that the train tracks of God's judgements are already laid and only true repentance will stay his hand in these finial hours.

2004/10/26 14:01Profile

Amen

the train tracks ARE laid, we just gotta get our own witness and walk together and as holy as saved sinners can. AND we gotta ask the Lord to make us NON-seductible by the world, or by political parties.

Didja ever notice that the early church NEVER ever hooked up with the Zealots, like the Essenes did? That path led to Masada. Our path led to Antioch. Bless God!!

Love,
Neil

2004/10/26 14:34
lwpray

Sweden

Re: Amen

1 Tim 2:1-4
While all people should be the subjects of prayer, those should be particularly remembered before the throne of grace who are in authority. The reason is, that so much depends on their character and plans; that the security of life, liberty, and property, depends so much on them.
God has power to influence their hearts, and to incline them to what is just and equal; and hence we should pray that a divine influence may descend upon them. The salvation of a king is of itself of no more importance than that of a peasant or a slave; but the welfare of thousands may depend on him, and hence he should be made the special subject of prayer.
All that are in authority - Margin, or, “eminent place.” This does not necessarily mean those who hold office, but refers to any of elevated rank. The happiness of all who are under their control depends greatly on them, and hence we should pray for them that they may be converted people, and inclined to do that which is right.
Barnes

2004/10/26 14:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy