SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Does the blood of Jesus cover intentional sin??

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Gideons

Virginia

Does the blood of Jesus cover intentional sin??

I'm interested in hearing your view on this important question. Does the blood of Jesus cover known intentional sin? In other words, if I continue in some type of sin and fail to repent, does the blood of Christ cover this?

Please provide a Biblical explanation for your position.

2004/10/25 16:57Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Great fear came on all them that heard these things.

Gideons

Could you please define what you mean by “intentional”…I always thought that although not all sins are premeditated, all sins are “intentional”.

James 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

The blood of Christ covers almost everything imaginable except blasphemy against the Holy Ghost:

Mathew 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. 32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

The conditions for blasphemy against the Holy Ghost are not an everyday occurrence, especially not “in the world” but, it is quite a broad definition. For example:

Acts 5:1-11 1 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession, 2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet. 3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land? 4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God. 5 And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things. 6 And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him. 7 And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in. 8 And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much? And she said, Yea, for so much. 9 Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out. 10 Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband. 11 And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.

James

2004/10/25 17:38Profile

Re: Great fear came on all them that heard these things.

Hebrews 10:26-31 "[b]For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,[/b] But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

How do you guys take this scripture? It seems pretty straight forward to me.

2004/10/25 18:37
Gideons

Virginia

Re: Great fear came on all them that heard these things.

You're right brother Jimm. My question was poorly articulated. Okay let's try again. (Edit: Scriptures are from the ESV for no particular reason.)

Some sins of omission, as well as other sins, are oftentimes "unconscious" by nature. In other words, I do them but I'm not aware that I do until the Holy Spirit quickens my heart and shows me what I've done.

All other sins would be then directly intentional, meaning that I would know they're sin before I do them but I choose to do them anyway. I wasn't really raising the issue of the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit but any sin in which we continue to practice. In other words, we make a [b]repeated[/b] choice to sin even though in our heart we know it to be sin. It could be any sin.

But here is the real question and I pray that this makes better sense "What if I continue to walk (i.e. continue to do) a particular sin without repentance?" For example, if the Holy Spirit showed a particular sin in my heart and I remained in it (i.e. failed to fully repent meaning a change in behavior), would that particular sin be covered by the blood of Christ?

Here's some scriptures (not all of them but a fair number of them) that deal with the topic. This is not to say that we will never sin. That would be contrary to scripture as well (1Jo 1:8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.)

1Jo 1:6 If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.
1Jo 3:8 Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil.
1Jo 3:9 No one born of God makes a [b]practice[/b] of sinning, for God's seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God.
Rom 6:14 For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.
Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality,
Gal 5:20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions,
Gal 5:21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
[b]Heb 10:26 For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,[/b]
Heb 10:38 but my righteous one shall live by faith, and if he shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him."
Heb 10:39 But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls.

2004/10/25 18:40Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re:

Sorry Jesse,

I was typing my response and saw yours just now. I agree with your assessment but the modern church (much of at best and most of it at worse I suppose) has a much different view (i.e. don't worry it's covered).

So we end up with a disobedient Christian, an oxymoron of sorts. It's been a very sobering time for me as the Lord is destroying some things I was told growing up but were just flat out wrong.

2004/10/25 20:34Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

To undo heavy burdens...

Gideons

Okay, I see what you are saying. The scripture that come to mind for this is this one:

Mathew 18: 7 Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh! 8 Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire. 9 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

There has been some debate as to the meaning of these scriptures and as to how literally we should take that. I think Jesus here was addressing a real problem and the severity of his remedy suggest the severity of the problem. In other word you must at all costs cease to be a continual offence to God.

Jude 4I say this because some godless people have wormed their way in among you, saying that God's forgiveness allows us to live immoral lives. The fate of such people was determined long ago, for they have turned against our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ. (NLT)

The problem you have pointed out is a real one Sir. I am sure that the grace of God will find its way into the lives of many people in different ways, but for me two passages of scripture were linked when I was in fellowship with one brother in way that brought some light to my eyes.

Matthew 17:14-21 14 And when they were come to the multitude, there came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying, 15 Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water. 16 And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him. 17 Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me. 18 And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour. 19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out? 20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. 21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

The normal authority given by Jesus to rebuke demons was literally not sufficient for this particular demon, which was evidently trying to kill him. In addition, there are offences, which are literally trying to kill us and cast us into the fire, and our Lord said that this kind comes out ONLY by prayer and fasting. Nothing else will cut it. And on fasting we have one great passage in the scripture:

Isaiah 58:3-7 3 Wherefore have we fasted, say they, and thou seest not? wherefore have we afflicted our soul, and thou takest no knowledge? Behold, in the day of your fast ye find pleasure, and exact all your labours.4 Behold, ye fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high. 5 Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD? 6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? TO LOOSE THE BANDS OF WICKEDNESS, TO UNDO HEAVY BURDENS, AND LET THE OPPRESSED GO FREE, AND THAT YE BREAK EVERY YOKE? 7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

In Christ

James

2004/10/26 15:32Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Great brother James

Hey, thanks so much brother. The pieces are now beginning to fit in place. The Holy Spirit is connecting the dots in my heart.

Thanks so much!

2004/10/26 19:45Profile
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

Re: Does the blood of Jesus cover intentional sin??

Now how long do you intend to play with that sin and are we sure of the next 5-min. 9/11 tells us our day at work may turn in to our last. he want our will's not our will not's

2004/10/26 20:02Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re:

I referenced the specific sin (smoking) in another thread and I've spent a significant time praying about this.

I'm not attempting to rationalize my sin (which I obvously have done for a long time) and am praying for deliverance. My pastor told me that I needed to fast and pray, hence the connection with James' post.

I didn't want to name a specific sin, because someone else may struggle with another sin and say well at least I don't smoke but they may be playing in other sins. As the Word clearly explains, this would apply to all sins not just the "gross" sins.

It's a sin that goes back nearly 35 years to when I worked in tobacco to make money as a young boy. It has very long roots in my heart and the Holy Spirit will no longer allow me to rationalize this sin any more.

When will I "pray through" or gain the victory, I don't know but I hope and pray it's very soon. If not, my heart will harden and the Holy Spirit will not quicken my heart when I do sin and I'll become unconscious due to the hardness of my heart.

That's where I'm at and I just ask for your prayers. Thanks for the rebuke Ravin, I needed it.

2004/10/26 21:22Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re: Praise God!

Praise God for breaking the power of this sin in my heart. I'm clean and I pray that I will continue to walk clean before Him. Praise Jesus for deliverance from sin. Jesus is our victory.

For those who prayed for me, thank you. I pray that Jesus will bless you with His presence.

I saw this in the SI newsletter from Vance Havner:

Quote:
Today we coddle and excuse our sins, call weakness what God calls wickedness. We shelter sin in the Church, and when a preacher would cry out against it he is advised, "Don't be too hard, nobody is perfect," and is given a dressing-down from the text, "Judge not that you be not judged." We have let down the bars until anybody can get into a church and nobody ever gets out. If we raised the New Testament standard it would stop the rush of superficial disciples and win respect where now there is ridicule.

Praise God that I'm part of a body that hates sin. Thank you Jesus for this gift of repentance, for freedom from these chains that have bound me for so many years. My life is yours...

I've been praying one of the Psalms along these lines over the past few weeks and thought it might encourage someone. It's Psalms 143
1 Hear my prayer, O LORD, give ear to my supplications: in thy faithfulness answer me, and in thy righteousness.
2 And enter not into judgment with thy servant: for in thy sight shall no man living be justified.
3 For the enemy hath persecuted my soul; he hath smitten my life down to the ground; he hath made me to dwell in darkness, as those that have been long dead.
4 Therefore is my spirit overwhelmed within me; my heart within me is desolate.
5 I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands.
6 I stretch forth my hands unto thee: my soul thirsteth after thee, as a thirsty land. Selah.
7 Hear me speedily, O LORD: my spirit faileth: hide not thy face from me, lest I be like unto them that go down into the pit.
8 Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee.
9 Deliver me, O LORD, from mine enemies: I flee unto thee to hide me.
10 Teach me to do thy will; for thou art my God: thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness.
11 Quicken me, O LORD, for thy name's sake: for thy righteousness' sake bring my soul out of trouble.
12 And of thy mercy cut off mine enemies, and destroy all them that afflict my soul: for I am thy servant.

There's power, wonder working power in the blood of the Lamb!

2004/10/31 18:16Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy