SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : In His Steps----Social Gospel?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

I personally have no problem with "what would Jesus do?"

since we are called, predestined to be transformed into His image, so more and more we should be doing what Jesus did, become more humble, more loving, more helping, feeding the hungry ,clothing the naked, helping the sick etc.

Of course we have an issue with what would Jesus do if we do not have a clear image of who Jesus is and what he actually did. Then we can develop all kind of crasy habits and thoughts.

But i am convinced this is a "natural" development for a true christian, to do what the Lord did. Love what he loved, hate what he hated, do what he did...

we live in a different age, but the same principles the Lord walked by we can walk with today still. Even as we move in a different age and different setting, the eternal principles Jesus ruled his life with we can also, and we will, if we live for him by the spirits power.

Ive read the book, and yes its fiction, but still it has some good in it worthy of reading and ALL of us could be more like Christ, so if the book trigger those thoughts in you, create a greater desire to be as Jesus is. Then its a book worth its weight in gold. One would not be very wise to draw up "theology" from the book or look upon it as such material. But if it inspires and edify its a good book.

There are much worse book in our bookstores that are on the top 5 most sold christian books that will hurt your christianity much worse then "in his steps" , so let us do as the Lord warned us.

Mat 23:24 Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.

2010/7/25 8:20Profile
knitefall

Re:

Here's the simple answer: WDJD

What

Did

Jesus

Do?

He already died and resurrected, sealing a perfection for us- to the point, we can screw up time after time and still be perfect in the Father's eyes!

We're dealing with the Fruits of the Spirit. They are called that because they're not ours, but the Spirit's! It takes time and is very difficult to insert a Thrice Holy God into a broken earth suit. But God found a way!

2010/7/25 8:31Profile

Re: what would Jesus do.

Yes - I have read the book. I was a leader in a small church at the time I read this book. I was fully convinced that putting these principles in practice would bring much needed revival to this church. The whole church read the book and a many stood up front to take the pledge of asking "What Would Jesus Do?".

Did it work? No!

After a sort time many who took the pledge stopped coming to church and I, myself ended up leaving the church.

Is this splitting hairs? NO!

Why you should NOT ask "What Would Jesus Do?"

Doesn’t it sound good?

Doesn’t it sound noble?

Just ask yourself in every situation "What would Jesus Do?" and you’ll end up being a pretty good Christian!
What a whopper of a lie this one is!

What is my problem with this saying? it’s NOT Biblical -

The problem with this type of thinking is it makes you think of Jesus like a guy from the past, a nice guy, who did a lot of "good things" - but NOW he’s dead.

Now all you should do is look back in time, use the Bible or whatever to see how Jesus acted and think "if Jesus was still around - "

When the truth of the matter is: Jesus IS still around! He lives in every believer and He is our Life.

The Bible proclaims this wonderful, AMAZING fact, that we believers are IN Christ - and He is IN us.

1 Cor 6:17 says it like this:

"But he who unites himself with the Lord is one with him in spirit."

The Christian life is NOT about "Acting" like God - "imitating" Christ - or trying to be a "good person" - NO!

The Christian life is about Christ expressing Himself through you each and every day - you are a "co-laborer" with Christ in this respect.

Another problem with this lie is - You do NOT know what Jesus would of done anyways!

This lie assumes by looking back you could know what Jesus would do.

But think about it, Jesus was always surprising in his actions - ESPECIALLY to the religious leaders of the day!

How astonished they were when they thought they were being "good" and "religious" and "pious" and pleasing God - and then Jesus turned their self assumptions about righteousness upside down when He introduced His law of Love for God and others.

Even the disciples who lived with Him and followed Him around everywhere didn’t know what He was going to do.

Plus, even if you did somehow know, in each and every situation, exactly what Jesus would do - Do you think you’re good enough to live like Christ?

NO!

What is Christianity? It is Christ. Nothing more. Nothing less. Christianity is not an ideology. Christianity is not a philosophy. Christianity is the "good news" that Beauty, Truth and Goodness are found in a person. Biblical community is founded and found on the connection to that person. Conversion is more than a change in direction; it's a change in connection. Jesus' use of the ancient Hebrew word shubh, or its Aramaic equivalent, to call for "repentance" implies not viewing God from a distance, but entering into a relationship where God is command central of the human connection.

The truth is, you and I can do NOTHING apart from Christ (John 15:1-8). It would be the highest form of narcissism to think you could do it, you could live like Christ when the Bible says you can’t.

2010/7/25 8:44
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

For you Tuc this may be true, perhaps it didn't because of disobedience to the question What would Jesus do (maybe not for your personally but some of your concregation)? I understand your point but when I am asking this question I am asking the Holy Spirit what He wants to do and must remain obedient to what He wants to do. For me its all about submission to the Holy Spirit because as my partner in Christ He by far is smarter and knows Jesus a whole lot better than I. I take zero credit of any of the work the Holy Spirit does through me because there is no good thing in my flesh. I also ask for strength, love, compassion, courage, the words to say, Because the Holy Spirit provides all of these things.

I would say if it improves your relationship and moves you closer to Christ then there is no harm at all but a benefit to ask God what He wants to do. I know for me it is improving my dependence on Christ Jesus on a whole.

2010/7/25 9:21Profile

Re: This is eating from the wrong tree.

This is a extremely serious issue.

Do not forget that Eve thought she could “be more like God” by knowing good and evil.

Knowing what Jesus would do will not make you more godly. This is eating from the wrong tree. This is strictly prohibited by God.

Knowing what Jesus would do is NOT the Gospel!

Do not forget what Paul said about those who bring a different Gospel.

2010/7/25 10:05
mguldner

Kansas

Re: This is eating from the wrong tree.

I don't want to be more like God but Christ be moving through me. The question causes submission in me rather working my hardest to more like God or Christ. I believe if the seed of Christ is in me then it will grow into a tree and then produce fruit. If the question helps in spiritual growth and relationship and submission to Christ then its not a bad question to ask GOD.

2010/7/25 10:09Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

well if anyone presents "in his steps" as the gospel i would be very upset to, but its just a story.

But you will always have people that take things to serious, but we have people go into extremes over some verses in the word, that do not mean we should banish the word of God.

Jesus is our example, our forerunner, knowing what Jesus did and did not do/preach is very important i think, if not you are open to all sorts of deceptions and errors in teachings about the Gospel and Christ.

So i think it is extremely important to know what Christ did, what he said and what he did.

If Paul asked the believers back then to imitate him, how much more Christ?

Php 4:9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you

2010/7/25 10:46Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, our church had an invitation a few weeks ago and 60 people came forward ...after the dust cleared we found that it was 20 members that had a evangelistic party in their poor neighborhood and won the other 40 and brought them to church to follow up in the discipling process... a dear friend of mine a few years ago brought a team of young christians with food and drink to all the projects in new orleans and led over 1000 young people to Jesus... most churches drive by the opportunities to get to the rich with their buses or programs...what would Jesus do?jimp

2010/7/25 17:30Profile
knitefall

Re:

Well said Jimp.

If these church folk will get on board with WDJD they will fall in line with WWJD. Otherwise, all you have is snarly, snappy, sappy, lousy, have need of nothing christians instead of followers "OF JESUS."

2010/7/25 17:43Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re:

Well said Christian; & I may add, for a story it's a pretty good one just like I stated in Matthew's original post on the book. And Matthew, don't get discouraged by the viewpoints of fundamentalist thinking; not that you are. There are many out there who study everybody else's doctrine, but don't study, nor know the God of the doctrine they study. God bless you Matthew.

2010/8/2 1:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy