SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Eight Scriptural Reasons For House Churches

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: The notion of a building as "sanctuary" is unbiblical.

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us.
Winston Churchill

Churchill said this after the House of Commons had been damaged during an air-raid in WW2. Some had suggested rebuilding/repairs might alter the design.

I have always reckoned that I know the practical outworking of a 'church meeting' within 30 seconds of stepping into the building. It is all in the architecture.

Incidentally, I am part of a house church which also has a meeting hall! The building is 'church hall' but the culture is 'house church'.

2010/7/29 5:13Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Just out of curiosity, how many people will your church hall hold. And do you rent it, or is it the common property of your house church network?

2010/7/29 8:31Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

KingJimmy on 2010/7/29 10:31:34 writes
"Just out of curiosity, how many people will your church hall hold. And do you rent it, or is it the common property of your house church network?"

We gather as about 150 of us Sunday mornings, about 40-50 Sunday evenings and Prayer Meetings. We also have a number of 'home groups' which meet mid-week. Our 'house church network' is a very loose association, we don't hold anything as 'common property' in this association. We own the hall. It is part of a compound which has 2 houses and a meeting hall.

This is where we meet...

http://earley-christian-fellowship.org.uk/

we are not very 'web conscious' as you will see from the Website!

2010/7/29 9:20Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Quote:
We gather as about 150 of us Sunday mornings, about 40-50 Sunday evenings and Prayer Meetings.

Woah you have a megachurch in UK standards then :) or so a missionary told me a while back, said if you have over 50 people coming to your church then its partically a megachurch because there is a lot of fall away from the church. But you would probably know more than him :)

2010/7/29 9:29Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Interesting Ron. Seems like a pretty big group and facility for a house church network. I don't think I know anything like it here in the states. Although the church I attend has about 2700 attend every week, and we have about 80 home groups, which from what I can tell, seem to be the backbone of the church. Granted, only about 800-900 people belong to a home group from that 2700, but, such isn't such a bad percent of the church if you ask me, especially considering they have only been having these groups for about a year. Our groups probably aren't as essential to the life of our church, yet, as they are to yours.

2010/7/29 9:33Profile
whyme

Re:

My sense from this thread is that what is cherished in worship by many is a community of participating believers who share in the ministry to each other of God's grace and reflect in praise back to Him in intimacy His glory. This is the Biblical model that we see in the early church. Houses or halls or buildings aren't the issue unless they interfere with this goal. If this type of worship is extant, God's church is present. What I object to is turning a few references by the apostle Paul in his salutations to the groups in communities he was writing to in the Epistles into a regulative principle for worship. This is not a Biblical attempt but rather a misguided effort to reclaim the spirit of worship that was so powerful and satisfying in the early church. Participatory worship ( fellowship ) is the key.

2010/7/29 9:40Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Jimmy
I see you have taken up the word 'network' that I used in any earlier post. We have a heart link with several other churches which have similar outlooks to us and we do gather for occasional conferences but we have no central administration and no doctrinal statement. We are really like an extended family with closer links with some that with others.

2010/7/29 11:38Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

What?!?! No doctrinal statement?!?!? How do you keep the heretics out?!?! Very bold of you guys to do so. I had to resist the strong temptation to craft one for my personal website. I've debated if I will ever do such when I plant a church one day. I probably won't. Somebody even sent me an e-mail letting me know I should have such, so people know who I am and what I'm about. But my thinking was, they'll know who I am and what I'm about simply by getting to know me. And in getting to know me, maybe they'll get to know the Jesus inside of me.

I guess my choice of the word "network" comes from the ever so slight influence of C. Peter Wagner and those in the New Apostolic Reformation group. I read him early on, and some of his vocabulary has stuck with me, even though I by in large reject everything that group is associated with.

2010/7/29 11:54Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

KingJimmy on 2010/7/29 13:54:46 writes:
"How do you keep the heretics out?!?! "

We welcome them but they tend not to stay too long!

Here are two favourite quotations from AN Groves

"what a blessing it is that the Lord's heart is so large, that He can help whenever He sees some good thing; whereas man withdraws because he sees some evil thing, which is generally found to mean something that wounds his own self-love in the little scheme he had set up as perfection"

"as any system is in its provision narrower or wider than the truth, I either stop short or go beyond its provisions, but I infinitely rather bear with all their evils, than separate from their good."

One day I want to write a book on church polity. I have the title ready...

"little schemes of perfection".

2010/7/29 12:15Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Sounds awesome.

2010/7/29 12:18Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy