SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Does a person 'count the cost' before or after salvation?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Silo

Does a person 'count the cost' before or after salvation?

When I got saved...I just got saved! It just happened and I didn't know what it meant but I know God touched me forever. I didn't know what I was getting into, lol.

Now years later I'm realizing there are things I have to give up...maybe forever. But I would have never known until I walked with God for many years.

I know God will finish the work he started in my life but do you count the cost before or after you know what your doing?

Luke 14:28

2010/7/22 10:18Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re: Does a person 'count the cost' before or after salvation?

Praise Jesus that there is not a chapter on the sequence of the Christian walk (the closest you may find is the parable of the sower.) If I thought there was a sequence I would be concerned I was damned in Hell already. If you are not hardened by the deceitfulness of sin you can embrace the fact that God loves you deeply and has yours and His best interests in mind Silo.

I do not see a single passage of scripture that shows Jesus rejecting a repentant heart.

I do however see numerous passages where Jesus rejects the prideful, scornful hearts that say they don't need him.

I look back over my walk and realize that there were just times in my life where I was completely and utterly blind to the gospel. I had no concept of what it was about...Like Jacob, I wanted the spiritual blessing, but honestly knew no way to receive it apart from grappling.

We don't ALWAYS know when we have received the seed, and it has gestated to life out of darkness.

To be honest, I am one of those people who cannot tell you the "Date" I got "Saved." But I can tell you when I placed faith in Christ. If the Just shall live by Faith, and David was among those to whom the same concept applied, then many many people have hope in Christ whom would be told by the Judaizers that they were not really saved.

***Edit***

It is also worth remembering that Salvation is a process for the Christian. Past, Present, and Future.

2010/7/22 10:46Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Does a person 'count the cost' before or after salvation?

When JESUS spoke of counting the cost
He was speaking about being a disciple!!
There are many who are happy to be saved
because GOD offers HIS gift of grace freely
but they have no understanding of what
it really means to forsake all to follow
JESUS!!

2010/7/22 10:55Profile
1over

Re:

Salvation and discipleship are one and the same. You can't have one without the other.

You must count the cost prior to salvation. And as you grow in the Lord and he gives you new light, you must continue to count the cost and be willing to pay the costs of surrender.

2010/7/22 11:23Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Luke 22:31-32

2010/7/22 11:37Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Judas was a "Disciple" of Christ.

2010/7/22 11:46Profile
Silo

Re:

So Judas followed Jesus but didn't accept the cost?? I guess he counted the cost and said NO!

2010/7/22 11:58Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

some may do before they come to the Lord, some may do after... I dont recall Saul from Tarsus calculating the cost before he became a christian, neither did I. And i must say as time goes buy the price seem to be higher and higher. Of course it is worth it but it seems this way to me, the closer we draw to God the more he demands we "lay our life down" and this "cost" may look different to all of us, for me some things may be very easy to lay down and thus there is no real cost, it may look outward "great" and "mighty" , but God is seeking deeper for that thing that might hinder us from going all the way with him, and from time to time there is a new "war" up ahead, and scripture says the man who goes to war not calculating the cost and his chances to win is a fool.

So in short i think it is impossible to set a rule if this calculating the cost is before and after, i am sure for some it was before, and for others after conversion.

2010/7/22 12:06Profile
1over

Re:

There are many today that are counted among the disciples of Christ. But true disciples they are not. And in the end, Christ will say, "Depart from me, I never knew you". There are sheep and goats. There are many that may appear to us to be sheep, but God knows they are goats.

2010/7/22 12:07Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Judas sure counted something...I think it was thirty pieces of silver.

I am just saying that the way we tend to categorize concepts like "Discipleship" and "Salvation" are more rigid than scripture is.

As much as I want to agree with 1over, and have said the exact same thing myself in the past, I am humbled by how the gospels are much more difficult to pin down than that. I am just saying I guess I disagree that discipleship, salvation, and counting the cost, all must occur in some particular order.

Work out "Your" "Own" "Salvation" with fear and trembling. It will not look like Peter's it will not look like Paul's, it will look like a White Stone, upon which will be written a name that no one else will know but you and Christ.

2010/7/22 12:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy