SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Where There's Faith And Power Miracles Happen

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
FranklinB

Where There's Faith And Power Miracles Happen

It's interesting in Acts 6:5 it says Stephen was full of faith and the Holy Ghost. And 3 verses later it says "And Stephen full of faith and power." What was that power? That power was the Holy Ghost. And with faith and power he did miracles and wonders among the people. And the Holy Ghost is omnipresent, he's always present. But the question is do you have faith present.

God anointed Jesus with the Holy Ghost and power (Acts 10:38). It's that power that made the women with the issue of blood whole. Jesus felt that power go out from him. And Jesus himself said "Thy faith hath made thee whole." Her faith was responsible for withdrawing that power (Mark 5:25-34). And that power performed according to her faith.

And ye shall receive power, after which the Holy Ghost has come upon you (Acts 1:8). And where there's faith and power miracles happen. Power performs signs and wonders. And the name of Jesus carries the same anointing as Jesus the person carried. The disciples prayed that signs and wonders be done by the name of Jesus (Acts 4:30). And his name through faith in his name made a crippled begger healed (Acts 3:16).

Power is always present through the Holy Ghost and the name of Jesus but is faith. Because where there's faith and power miracles happen.

2010/7/20 17:45Profile
passerby

Re: Where There's Faith And Power Miracles Happen

And that is because of the goodness of God our creator and savior.

But I won't carry these concepts to its extremes where one believes that miracles are things of the past or that miracles are 'WOF' according to our whims and caprices.

I believe that miracle will happen anytime because our God is God and I believe miracles do not happen because of the lack of our faith.

I started with church with a strong 'pentecostal' leanings
but I have come to outgrow those 'formulas' and the mindset
that is associated with 'extreme pentecostalism'.

I still believe in 'prayer of faith', it is the gift of God to the church, but as of now I am more comfortable to talk about this in the context of James 5:13-17;

a prayer of faith,
prayer and anointing of the elders,
fervent prayer of a righteous man,
earnest and persistent prayer.

Do we pray with faith. Do our prayers and anointing for the the sick fervent, earnest, and persistent or just one of the routines for an elder to do.

Do we live a righteous life, a holy life. Is God our Lord, is He our friend or are we His friend, do we live our lives for Christ, or HE is just but a part of our religious affiliation.

Do we realize the truth in the saying "Christ in you".

2010/7/20 21:08Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re: Where There's Faith And Power Miracles Happen

I would like to add that it was the Holy Spirit who worked through Stephen. It was, & is God who works in us to will & to do according to His good pleasure. Stephen emptied himself of himself, & God filled this empty vessel & God did mighty works through this man. While getting stoned, he continually kept his faith (whom God is the Author of) in God. Perhaps, God willing, I will respond more later. Let us not be deceived; for whatever a man sows, that will he reap.

2010/7/21 4:05Profile
RainMan

Re:

Power in the new testament is mainly exorcia (not sure of spelling) or dunamis. Exorcia=authority (which we have in the name of jesus) and dunamis=
doo'-nam-is
force (literally or figuratively); specifically miraculous power (usually by implication a miracle itself): - ability, abundance, meaning, might (-ily, -y, -y deed), (worker of) miracle (-s), power, strength, violence, mighty (wonderful) work.

Often we hear quoted "you shall receive power when the holy ghost comes upon you".

It is often this kind of poor hermeneutics that lead me to error when i was a pentecostal extremist (Still pentecostal but as instructed by scripture) so lets examine the whole verse and not just the sentence.

Acts 1:8 (New International Version)

8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

1. Dunamis is promised when the holy Spirit comes on us.

2. We will all experience dunamis when truelly baptised with the Holy Spirit.

3. dunamis is defined as miracle power and every single beliver that is baptised by the holy spirit is a partaker of such power.

2 Peter 1:3-4 (New International Version)

3 His divine power(dunamis) has given us everything we need for life(eternal life) and godliness through our *knowledge* of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

but.....

4. Reading Acts 1:8 we notice the structure is two fold first power is received when the Holy Spirit comes on us (This we must understand is a new covenant promise) the second part Jesus tells us what this power is for. Simply to witness the gospel to all ends of the worlds.

5. It is a greater miracle for a dead spirit to come alive through Christ than for a dead body to be resurrected. So when we witness and a soul is saved its a greater miracle than laying hands on a dead body. The greatest miracle is salvation not any other sign or wonder as great as they are.(Are signs and wonders for belivers or unbelivers? If i need a sign or wonder what does this say about my faith?)

6. dunamis is expressed in many ways other that physical healing, by his stripes the bible tells us we are healed form the inherent condition of sin, walking in the Spirit gives us the dunamis to overcome the flesh.

7. Preaching or proclaiming the gospel with boldness was always preceded by the apostles being filled with the Holy spirit and then the dunamis to proclaim would always follow.

8. The dunamis to love as Christ loves us does not come from us but from he that dwells in us.

9. working of miracles is a gift of the Spirit (but this doesn't mean we cant pray for miracles when needed) just like all other gifts powered by the dunamis of the Holy Spirit these gifts are given to whoever the spirit wills

1 Corinthians 12:29 (New International Version)

29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles?

Obviously not.

Conclusion

Salvation is the greatest miracle. God so loved us that he was willing to die on cross for our salvation. Demons can work just almost every miracle but salvation if im looking for his power its not where signs and wonders are manifested the most its where people have met christ and the power to change them form a wretched sinner to a new man who is a partaker of the divine nature is present.

Testimony
My wife dragged me to a church a few months back. The man of God had a strong prophetic gift he could call out entire families and tell them really distinct things people would cry fall over , be slain (all the normal excess) and it was a really overwhelming experience. well.. i figured since the bible says we should covet the best gifts i said to myself why not. So i prayed and asked God in "Faith" for the same sort of Gift....
The Spirit showed me what was really going on and he said a funny word i have never heard. He didnt let me sleep that night and so i woke up at 3am turned on my laptop to look up the funny word the Spirit had told be about. lo and behold it was the name of a demon associated with mysticism so you can guess i withdrew my request for the "man of God" gift and never went back. I have learn in my short journey like paul says love must always precede gifts otherwise error is inevitable.

God Bless

2010/7/21 5:27Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy