SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Dispensationalism

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

"Thank you for the feedback brothers, I just would like to add that there are many great bible teachers who hold to a dispensational view. So we can't throw out the baby with the bath water."

Like I said before, I have and still fellowship with many people who hold to this systematic theology.

It is just my hope and prayer that people would more prayerfully consider the implications of teaching this structure before they just run like the wind with it Axe.

My Scofield Bible is buried under four feet of dirt in the middle of nowhere...

2010/7/21 1:05Profile
jwlassi

Clemson University

Re:

In any case, the point is not to cling to a covenant theology or a dispensational theology, but a biblical one. There is much in dispensationalism that rings true to scripture, however, there is also much truth to covenant theology views. There is a compromise view which I believe allows for humility, and also doesn't try to solve the entire bible.

It becomes dangerous when we try to place forms that are too restrictive on our theology. It becomes so linear, that like much of what was said earlier on this post, the proponent of "x" theology becomes more proficient at explaining away other scriptures rather than actually forming useful conclusions with the entirety of scripture.

May we be a people who cling not toward a particular theology, but to his word, regardless of our understanding (or lack of understanding) of it.

2010/7/31 22:13Profile
davidc

France

Re:

Quote "In any case, the point is not to cling to a covenant theology or a dispensational theology, but a biblical one. There is much in dispensationalism that rings true to scripture, however, there is also much truth to covenant theology views. There is a compromise view which I believe allows for humility, and also doesn't try to solve the entire bible.: Unquote

"This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you." John 15:12 (KJV)

"But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another". Gal 5:15 (KJV)

I can understand that christians who have suffered from church teaching on dispensationalism that is not Spirit led, would, on finding Spirit led covenant teching, wish to throw out all the things they had been taught, AND visa-versa.

But I believe that both teachings have been given to us, His church from the Spirit at a particular time in history, and both teachings MUST and CAN be reconciled for the sake of the unity of the church. It is easy now to look back on those saints who sought God faithfully and received these wonderful revelations and to point out all their faults (faults which they themselves would be the first to admit).

Those who have been offended should seek to forgive their brothers, not to call them heretics.They should instead find a way to understand their teachings in the new light that Christ has given them, and so gain their brother.

Neither Covenant teaching nor Dispensationalism have all the answers to what the bible teaches, but I have found that an application of BOTH of them to bible study opens up the word to me and is my daily spiritual food. Those who hold firmly just to one teaching in fact have an inherent fear of the other, that it will detract from the grace he has received and from the glory of Christ. But I believe it is Gods wisdom to give us such seemingly different doctrines so that we might learn to love one another. This Jesus commands us.

Can I give an example of ny approach, which you probably use already.
I am currently studying Jeremiah chapter 30. As I read, I ask myself three questions:
1. What is God saying about the things actually happening there at Jerusalem.
2 What is God saying in these verses about Christ and His church and to me in particular, a christian.
3 What is God saying about The future Messiah and His people Israel in the last times.
Some verses apply to all three questions, some to only one, but a full understanding of all scripture requires all three.

I find the Psalms especially should be read this way ie How they apply to David, to Christ at His first coming, to Christ at His second coming, to the christian and to the Jewish remnant.

So I beseech you by the mercies of God to be reconciled.

I am also posting this on a "dispensational" web site

2010/8/15 23:24Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

jwlassi wrote:

Quote:
In any case, the point is not to cling to a covenant theology or a dispensational theology, but a biblical one. There is much in dispensationalism that rings true to scripture, however, there is also much truth to covenant theology views. There is a compromise view which I believe allows for humility, and also doesn't try to solve the entire bible.

As I mowed my lawn tonight I began to think on these things as I am about to begin a 12 week teaching series on the covenants of God. What is quoted above is, in my opinion, absolutely correct. I am not a theologian and never attended a seminary, and as such have never studied much that the "great theologians" wrote. I have spent 30 years in the Word of God apart from the influences of these views. I am not implying that it is somehow bad to study their viewpoints. I just never have. As a result, everything I read from them naturally gets filtered through a grid that is not shaped like any of them. Some things stick, and others pass through.

It is true that God has dealt with man in different ways at different times in history. There was a period of time when God dealt with man by law. There is a period of time in which we live when grace is extended to whosoever will. There is a coming time of judgment when the Lord returns. If one wants to call these dispensations, then I guess I am a dispensationalist. But these times center around covenants that God made with man. He is a covenant God and deals with us through covenant. If this is covenant theology, then I guess I believe in covenant theology. But really, I hold to neither one of these established "theologies" and my only purpose in studying them at all will probably be to educate myself so that I can know where another person is coming from in a conversation.

I am a firm believer in studying the Word of God out of the foundation of a real and vibrant relationship with God through Christ. I believe in allowing the Holy Spirit to teach me. I benefit from the teachings of other men and women of God, but I do not espouse the teachings of any of them. The purpose of the Word of God is not so that we can establish theological philosophy and try to win others over to our way of seeing it. The purpose of the Word of God is to transform us into His image. I am not minimizing study, but recognizing the purpose for it. Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needs not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2010/8/16 21:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy