Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : a.b. simpson

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sdb

tucson

a.b. simpson

It has been stated to me by a good friend of mine that A. B. Simpson believed that Christ could be ushered in in his return by evangelizing the Gospel throughout the world. Almost a Kingdom now type theology---does any one know if there is any truth to this? In Him Scott

2004/10/24 16:33Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: a.b. simpson

Quote:
It has been stated to me by a good friend of mine that A. B. Simpson believed that Christ could be ushered in in his return by evangelizing the Gospel throughout the world.

I don't know his specific beliefs on this but it has been quite prevalant of a belief that Christ will come back when most of the world has been evangelized creating a somewhat millinual state on the earth. This viewpoint was highly popularized by the puritans in the 1700th century where to not be christian in many countries what considered something unusual. Also during some of the great awakenings in the 1800's there were so many 100'000's of people coming to Christ that many considered that these revivals would evangelize most of the world and usher in Christ's second coming.

I was just reading in E.W. Bullinger's companion bible that this viewpoint seems strange to his because taking a cursary reading of 2 thessalonians reveals that Christ will [b]not[/b] come back until there be a great falling away from the faith. So it tends to possibly be different in that regard that there will be a move away from true faith before Christ comes back.

2004/10/24 17:45Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: a.b. simpson

Hi Scott

Quote:
It has been stated to me by a good friend of mine that A. B. Simpson believed that Christ could be ushered in in his return by evangelizing the Gospel throughout the world. Almost a Kingdom now type theology---does any one know if there is any truth to this?

This view is widely held among many especially missionary groups. The WEC has held this view or varients of it for most of its history. It is based on [b]And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.[/b]
(Mat 24:14 KJV)

Some folks that I hold very highly for their love of God and the testimony of their lives believe this strongly; I have some sympathy with the view but some difficulties too. The classic presentation of this thesis was [b]Christ's Hope of the Kingdom[/b] by Alexander McLeish which has long been out of print. Its thesis is, broadly speaking, that the early Christians failed in their God-given task and that worldwide evangelism is a necessary step towards the Lord's Coming.

In the UK a variety of the view has been espoused by Roger Forster.

It may be significant that much 19th Century missionary work has aspects of this in mind. Livingstone and many of his day and persuasion believed that total evangelization would bring in the Millennium, and much of his amazing work was accomplished under this motivation.

2004/11/7 14:13Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy