SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Darlington race day was the devils day.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TLSanders

Santee, SC

Darlington race day was the devils day.

Is there any holiness left in the people of God? Yesterday, we took our youth group to the Darlington race in SC. It was hosted by the Baptist Association. The only part that lifted up the Lord was the youth rally at the begining. I was so broken and felt so ashamed that we had carried our youth to a den of demons!!! Open drunkenness, vulgarities and the sin list goes on and on. Some of the kids got a real hoot out of the drunks and watching them act the fool. They seem to be envious of this behavior. I will never carry another youth group to to another race and allow them to lust after the den of demons while being part of a church group.

My soul is cast down even on this morrow. My heart is heavy as I try to teach my youth to follow, His call of holiness, His call of purity, to forsake all and deny themselves to love the Lord with all their hearts. I feel like I aided the devil in his war against them, Lord forgive me I knew not what I was doing!
:-(

2003/8/31 8:12Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Darlington race day was the devils day.

Dear sir,
My heart goes out to you, is it not still possible that some good may yet come out of this?
An object lesson perhaps?
Since drunkeness seems to be a common thread in many events like this, is there someone who is a former alcoholic (recovering) or substance abuser that could come in and speak to them? Someone who will give them a real life example of what this type of lifestyle can do to a person? And more importantly, what God can do to restore a person.
I speak from experience as I have been both and I feel your grief as it has a particular sting when I see others heading down this path, they just don't understand the damage that is being done to themselves.
Something that is rather difficult to do in practice is to love people the way Jesus loved them, to recognize that they are under the sway of the devil and it is only natural for them to carry on they way they carry on. If I understand our God correctly, He is in the restoration business, everything He does is for our benefit even if it means breaking us into pieces till we see our need, "He chastises those He loves". I believe He hates to see us destroying ourselves, selling ourselves out to a lesser god, who is no god at all. He is full of mercy, if we will just come to Him to be healed.
Our Lord had His harshest words for the proud and yet still came and sat with the outcasts, tax collectors and sinners. Always ready to forgive the humble without neglecting the principle "go and sin no more"

2003/8/31 9:00Profile
Chosen7Stone

FL, USA

Mr. Sanders,
I'm still at the age where I'm considered youth. Only within the past few months have I moved to the "college Bible study group" at my church. I've been with many people my age who claim to be Christians, as well as those who are Christians. I recently moved from the Miami, Florida area to Tallahassee, Florida...it's moving from a place where it's not acceptable to be a Christian to a place where it's expected. I have met many peers who are on fire for Christ, and many who are only along for the ride; at church because they were raised there, or they don't want to get hassled by their parents. They claim to be His followers but would much rather follow the latest fashion trends. I had a youth pastor in my hometown who came to the point where he said to us: "I wish for all of you to have an intimate relationship with your Creator, but I cannot force it upon you. I will always be here to lead and guide you, but I can compel you to do nothing. I will always show you in Scripture what is right, but I cannot hold your hand through it. I have no control over you and trust God that He will lead you where He wants you to be. If you are truly Saved, you will follow."
As hard as it is often times, and as discouraging as it is when events such as these happen, you need to trust that those who are Saved will do the right thing and react appropriately to situations like this. Did no one in your youth group react with disgust and dismay? Did anyone ask to leave? They need to be held accountable, because you are their leader and need to set the example when they failed to do so.
I am so sorry that this happened, and I empathize with you. But I can guarantee you that there are youth who are as appalled by those things as you are, and are trying to encourage their peers to realize the same. This has been a learning experience if nothing else, and perhaps the weightiness of that day has opened your eyes to how generation by generation we are finding more sin appealing and acceptable. You might want to look at an article I posted titled
Where Bible and Pop Meet.
Be in prayer, as I will for you, and be encouraged. :-)

2003/8/31 14:35Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!

Quote:
Is there any holiness left in the people of God?

Where does our holiness come from? surely its not from our own works or setting apart of things but it comes from God's calling and Spirit. When God draws near to His people they become Holy!

Quote:
My soul is cast down even on this morrow. My heart is heavy as I try to teach my youth to follow, His call of holiness, His call of purity, to forsake all and deny themselves to love the Lord with all their hearts. I feel like I aided the devil in his war against them, Lord forgive me I knew not what I was doing!

Wow! brother it seems like you are sensitive to what the Spirit. I encourage you to help the youth to seek holiness but not just holiness but the Lord Himself!! :-D

Quote:
Our Lord had His harshest words for the proud and yet still came and sat with the outcasts, tax collectors and sinners. Always ready to forgive the humble without neglecting the principle "go and sin no more"

Yes maby the children should have felt the compassion of Jesus Christ towards these types of people instead of getting a 'real hoot out of the drunks'.

2003/8/31 14:44Profile
TLSanders

Santee, SC

Re:

I am so moved by your reply to the post I placed here!
You are very encouraging and filled me with hope for your generation! It has been a long time since I have seen such great faith coming from such a faithless generation! May God bless and keep you and cause His face to shine upon you and give you Grace.
Keep your stand and never surrender, you will make a difference in the lives you come into contact with.
Be God's
Tim
Chosen7Stone wrote:
Mr. Sanders,
I'm still at the age where I'm considered youth. Only within the past few months have I moved to the "college Bible study group" at my church. I've been with many people my age who claim to be Christians, as well as those who are Christians. I recently moved from the Miami, Florida are to Tallahassee, Florida...it's moving from a place where it's not acceptable to be a Christian to a place where it's expected. I have met many peers who are on fire for Christ, and many who are only along for the ride; at church because they were raised there, or they don't want to get hassled by their parents. They claim to be His followers but would much rather follow the latest fashion trends. I had a youth pastor in my hometown who came to the point where he said to us: "I wish for all of you to have an intimate relationship with your Creator, but I cannot force it upon you. I will always be here to lead and guide you, but I can compel you to do nothing. I will always show you in Scripture what is right, but I cannot hold your hand through it. I have no control over you and trust God that He will lead you where He wants you to be. If you are truly Saved, you will follow."
As hard as it is often times, and as discouraging as it is when events such as these happen, you need to trust that those who are Saved will do the right thing and react appropriately to situations like this. Did no one in your youth group react with disgust and dismay? Did anyone ask to leave? They need to be held accountable, because you are their leader and need to set the example when they failed to do so.
I am so sorry that this happened, and I empathize with you. But I can guarantee you that there are youth who are as appalled by those things as you are, and are trying to encourage their peers to realize the same. This has been a learning experience if nothing else, and perhaps the weightiness of that day has opened your eyes to how generation by generation we are finding more sin appealing and acceptable. You might want to look at an article I posted titled
Where Bible and Pop Meet.
Be in prayer, as I will for you, and be encouraged. :-)

2003/11/1 10:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy