SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : the wise men

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
knitefall

the wise men

In Matthew, we see the account of the wise men:

1 Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, 2 Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him. 3 When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him. 4 And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born. 5 And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet, 6 And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel. 7 Then Herod, when he had privily called the wise men, enquired of them diligently what time the star appeared. 8 And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship him also.

9 When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was. 10 When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy. 11 And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh. 12 And being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way.
Matt 2:1-12

Now, we also see in Matt 25:40 that it says:

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me...

These wise men, perhaps they were pagan star seers? Were they involved in witchcraft? They brought gold and other things to Him and they knew that He ought to be worshiped. There is no indication of their Salvation. Other than the Lord speaking to them concerning Herod. Nonetheless, they came because they observed the stars anyhow. SO, given that they gave unto Him, would the Lord be obligated to return unto them what they have sown to the Christ child?

2010/7/14 12:17Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re: the wise men

No indication they were occultists. That is just speculation. We know a few things. They were seekers of truth on some level, because they had a revelation of the birth of Christ and were led to him. Also, they recognized he was the King. Then God himself spoke to them in a warning. This is what Scripture tells us. The gospels also do not clearly mention that the apostles were saved either. Salvation is what Jesus taught on, not something the Scriptures often explain or declare about a person. Those who seek, like the wise men and the apostles, will find. It also says that the wise men worshiped him even though he was a tiny babe. That is real faith and they had it.

They did get a return for their gifts. Not more material blessings, at least that would not be the main thing. But they did have a special relationship to the Christ child that is discussed even today.

2010/7/14 14:50Profile
knitefall

Re:

Koheleth,

I'm thinking you're right. I like what you've said and with a great attitude. Whether or not they be Saved, the principles of God still do work. Just like God's blessings on children/ marriage of the unsaved.

We're not called to understand it all, just believe. A wise old man (who dwells on sermon index) says, "You can't figure out God. If you had God's formulas all figured out then you'd be bigger than God."
Please do pray for that man also.

Christ presented Himself a Sacrifice for all the world. To include past and future. Who cares how someone witnesses and how someone gets Saved. Let the holy Spirit figure the "formula" as we trust God for the results. What's born of the Spirit IS Spirit.

2010/7/14 18:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy