Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Why I still Use the KJV1611 Bible

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

DGL
Sorry, I am not following this very well. I am not sure what point you are making or asking me to comment on.

"English and and American... two peoples divided by a common language" Winston Churchill (just joking)

2010/7/14 9:15Profile

Re:

My response to all the good words that I have read is that there seems to be a lot of talk in Christianity about what the Bible is and what it contains. Everyone "seems" to be a self proclaimed expert in all matters regarding the text of the scripture. I heard a preacher back in 1985 that would preach on the "binder/seals on the cover of the Bible. I heard a man in the rear of sanctuary say "Why don't you just preach the Book.(That's my view) Their was a fellow on this Forum the other night who was very distraught,he felt that he had lost his joy and his Hope...members were giving all kinds of advise. It reminded me of a Curtis Hutson Gospel Tract(Sword of the Lord) I read many years ago about a drowning man, and how people went about to save him. One helper shouted out directions on How to Swim..encouraging him to swim harder, one read to him from a book about great swimmers and the third one dove in and pulled him out!(Jude 23) "And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh." You are probaly right about me I am guilty! I am opinionated and brusk and if you called my house I would probably say; "What do you want?" I was raised in Western New York and my years in the Navy gave me an "Oh Yeah" attitude...that I fight to conquer..."The spirit is willing." I am a Hell and Brimstone Preacher (Licensed Baptist) I have been preaching in the Nursing Homes since 1987 and my voice finally started dying out in January. I am lost without my Pulpit, so forgive me if I come on strong, when you wasted years like I did (1955-1982) you will feel a sense of urgency like I do. Each year I re-play the Video; "7 Days in New York City," and think of those people that jumped to their death on September 11.2001, some of them "NOT" prepared to meet their God. (Amos 4:12) I am King James only, becaues I can't find any thing else that fills my soul with Jesus. That should not bother you, some of you are Democrats and it hasn't stopped you yet! If people feel I am a cause of division I will leave. There are people out that agree with me and those that agree with you. When they asked a politician what his views were, he said; "Some of my friends are for "X" and some of my friends are for "Z." They said; "How about you?" He said; "I am with my friends!" I don't know if my Christian walk can be like that. Remember in John 9:22 the people feared the Jews and did not confess Christ, "he should be put out of the synagogue." This world is not my home I'm just a passing thru, My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue, The angels beckon me from Heaven's open door and I can't feel at home in the world anymore. Tractsman

2010/7/14 9:27
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

I edited the title of this thread from 161 to 1611. I am both impressed and thankful that this discussion hasn't taken the inglorious turn this particular topic has seemed to precipitate in the past. Thank you for keeping it civil, factual and agenda-free. All can glean and grow from such treatment.

God bless you all dear brethren,

Paul

2010/7/14 10:04Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
can just hear those folk in 1611 saying "This new translation dedicated to King James is a heresy, we only use Wycliffe's translation!" :)

You are not far from the truth.

Henry VIII banned Tyndale's version but finally put a very similar version in the churches. There were several other versions. Many Puritans preferred the Geneva Bible.
Later the Bishop's Bible was produced but most sympathetic to the reformation never took to it.
the King James version was not popular to begin with but the authorities banned the printing of other versions so gradually it gained traction and became 'the Bible'.

I always think it is fascinating that the Pilgrim Fathers on the Mayflower used the Geneva Bible rather than the KJV. Somewhere along the line the KJV gained the race in the USA too.

This is a fascinating story.

2010/7/14 13:36Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

For those who are interested in the history of the King James Bible, and other early English Bibles. Alistar McGrath wrote a book titled "In the Beginning" on the topic. It discusses many of the issues that have been brought up here, such as the Geneva Bible, as well as the translation process, translations teams, translation rules put in place by James I (!), and other interesting things.

The book also discusses the King James Bible's impact on culture.

With care in Christ...

2010/7/14 18:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy