SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Tozer on Lady Julian

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
StarofG0D

United States

Tozer on Lady Julian

Before she blossomed out into this radiant, glorious life which made her famous as a great Christian all over her part of the world, she prayed a prayer and God answered. It is prayer with which I am concerned tonight. The essence of her prayer was this: "Oh God, please give me three wounds; the wound of contrition and the wound of compassion and the wound of longing after God." Then she added this little postscript which I think is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read: "This I ask without condition." She wasn't dickering with God. She wanted three things and they were all for God's glory: "I ask this without condition, Father; do what I ask and then send me the bill. Anything it costs me will be all right with me."

A. W. Tozer speaking about Lady Julian

"...but a woman that feareth the LORD..."

2010/7/2 23:06Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Tozer on Lady Julian

This is a very moving testimony that deserves much more readership then its current state. Oh that we would cater a "longing" after God Himself for Himself and no strings attached.

2010/7/3 0:32Profile
utilizer001

Oregon

Re:

I read this and my first response was, "Oh yes that is exactly what I want." Then I thought about it. And I was saddened to realize that, I only want to want it.

Oh that God would fill myself and all the other "want to wants" with the desperation to want and hunger and thirst for Him.

Jason

2010/7/3 4:30Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

"Oh that we would cater a "longing" after God Himself for Himself and no strings attached."

"You and I are in little (our sins excepted) what, God is in large. Being made in His image we have: I within us the capacity to know Him. In our sins we lack only the power. The moment the Spirit has quickened us to life in regeneration our whole being senses its kinship to God and leaps up in joyous recognition That is the heavenly birth without which we cannon: see the Kingdom of God. It is, however, not an end but an inception, for now begins the glorious pursuit the heart's happy exploration of the infinite riches of the Godhead. That is where we begin, I say, but where: we stop no man has yet discovered, for there is in the awful and mysterious deaths of the Triune God neither limit nor end.

Shoreless Ocean, who can sound Thee?
Thine own eternity is round Thee,
Majesty divine!

To have found God and still to pursue Him is the soul's paradox of love, scorned indeed by the too-easily-satisfied religionist, but justified in happy experience by the children of the burning heart. St. Bernard stated this holy paradox in a musical quatrain that will be instantly understood by every worshipping soul:

We taste Thee? O Thou Living Bread,
And long teast upon TThee still:
We drink of Thee, the Fountainhead
And thirst our souls from Thee to fill.

Come near to the holy men and women of the past and you will soon feel the heat of their desire after God. They mourned for Him, they prayed and wrestled and sought for Him day and night, in season and out, and when they had found Him the finding was all the sweeter for the long seeking. Moses used the fact that he knew God as an argument for knowing Him better. "Now, therefore, I pray thee, if I have found grace in thy sight, show me now thy way, that I may know thee, that I may find grace in thy sight"; and from there he rose to make the daring request, "I beseech thee, show me thy glory." God was frankly pleased by this display of ardor, and the next day called Moses into the mount, and there in solemn procession made all His glory pass before him.

David's life was a torrent of spiritual desire, and his psalms ring with the cry of the seeker and the glad shout of the finder. Paul confessed the mainspring of his life to be his burning desire after Christ. "That I may know Him," was the goal of his heart, and to this he sacrificed everything. "Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but refuse, that I may win Christ."

Hymnody is sweet with the longing after God, the God whom, while the singer seeks, he knows he has already found. "His track I see and I'll pursue," sang our fathers only a short generation ago, but that song is heard no more in the great congregation. How tragic that we in this dark day have had our seeking done for us by our teachers. Everything is made to center upon the initial act of "accepting" Christ (a term, incidentally, which is not found in the Bible and we are not expected thereafter to crave any further revelation of God to our souls. We have been snared in the coils of a spurious logic which insists that if we have found Him we need no more seek Him. This is set before us as the last word in orthodoxy, and it is taken for granted that no Bible-taught Christian ever believed otherwise. Thus the whole testimony of the worshipping, seeking, singing Church on that subject is crisply set aside. The experiential heart-theology of of a grand army of fragrant saints is rejected in favor of a smug interpretation of Scripture which would certainly have sounded strange to an Augustine, a Rutherford or a Brainerd.

In the midst of this great chill there are some, I rejoice to acknowledge, who will not be content with shallow logic. They will admit the force of the argument, and then turn away with tears to hunt some lonely place and pray, "O God, show me thy glory." They want to taste, to touch with their hearts, to see with their inner eyes the wonder that is God.

I want deliberately to encourage this mighty longing after God. The lack of it has brought us to our present low estate. The stiff and wooden quality about our religious lives is a result of our lack of holy desire. Complacency is a deadly foe of all spiritual growth. Acute desire must be present or there will be no manifestation of Christ to His people. He waits to be wanted. Too bad that with many of us He waits so long, so very long, in vain."

From "The Pursuit of God" by A.W.Tozer.

2010/7/3 8:51Profile

Re:

Hi brother,

I love that passage from Tozer's "The Pursuit of God." These men from generations past knew what it meant to "experience," God and to long after Him. What do we have today? Men who claim knowledge. They will tell you they had visions, yet the visions always contain information that elevates them, makes them important. They will even tell you that they have had encounters with the devil, I am assuming because they believe themselves so important. Yet what does the man of God speak about? He speaks of God Himself. He speaks of encounters with the Living God and the glory and the majesty of Christ the King. He talks of the light of the knowledge of the glory of God shining in the face of Jesus our Lord. He is caught up in a hunger to see more of Him and Him glorified in the earth. Compare all of that to the man who tells you information, the man who tells you some angel told him something, or has some theory of how the earth will end and that everyone must listen to him. There is simply no comparison, one is light and the other is not..........brother Frank

2010/7/3 10:01
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Tozer on Lady Julian

contrition = penitence; broken-hearted for sin; deeply affected with grief and sorrow for having done wrong; humbled.

compassion = A suffering with another; hence, sympathy; a sensation of sorrow excited by the distress or misfortunes of another. compassionate = having a disposition to pity; full of compassion; inclined to show mercy.

longing = to desire earnestly or eagerly; to have a craving or yearning; a craving or abnormal appetite. Long = Lingering and longing, as a look; extending far in prospect or into futurity; stretch out the mind after, crave, followed by "for" or "after."

Quote:
"I ask this without condition, Father; do what I ask and then send me the bill. Anything it costs me will be all right with me."

(edit)I liked Utilizer001 honest response. (/edit) We Christians, we're all about praying for those three wounds but that last one... the last sentence is where we come to a screeching halt: "Anything it costs me will be all right with me"!

I heard a woman speak at a Women's Prayer Breakfast a couple of years ago and she told about going to Peru with her husband on a mission trip. She said when the plane landed, about 10 jeeps pulled up to the plane with soldiers to take them to their hotel. She saw all these guns and soldier and it hit her with such finality, "I could die for this gospel."

I don't think that reality has hit most of the American church, God help us. We are too attached to the things of this world, are we not? For crying out loud, when we find its hard to go without creamer for our coffee! How bad is that? (I'm speaking about me here!!)

God help us to rip from our flesh the ties that bind us,

2010/7/3 10:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy