Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

6/30 EVENING REFLECTIONS

Broken Bread

Daily Devotions from the Daily Light
by Evan Hopkins

June 30

As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten.__Rev. 3:19

We are told that the word translated "chasten" means in classical Greek to instruct, but in the New Testament to instruct by chastisement (Heb. 12:5, 6) Chastening describes God's dealings with His erring children; punishment seems to express His dealings with rebellious sinners. Here we have language that has reference to a true Church, but a Church in a backsliding condition. The Lord was no longer enshrined within. He was standing without, seeking an entrance. Very solemn, searching, and strong are the words of warning used, and yet how full of tenderness and love they are! This church of the Laodiceans has a special voice to us who live in these the closing days. It presents to us, as we believe, the characteristic features of the evils that are peculiar to these last days. To every child of God whose heart has grown cold and worldly the Lord of Glory appeals in words of solemn, faithful, but tenderest love. He stands at the door of the heart into which the world has come and crowded out the holy thoughts and affections that once occupied it. And as He stands He says, "I love," "I rebuke," "I chasten."

2010/6/30 19:26

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy