SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Men spake from God

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
dohzman

Re:

Adam prophesied---Gen 2:23-24.. Although most people never look at the fact of who said what and in what refeerence he said it.

2004/10/22 14:01Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Adam prophesied---Gen 2:23-24.. Although most people never look at the fact of who said what and in what refeerence he said it.

To whom did he prophesy? Just curious.

2004/10/22 14:06Profile
dohzman

Re:

Prophesy is the disclosure of the mind and will of God.Adam laid down as it were a principle that would run true throughout the entire bible and be quoted by Jesus.In its context his words had to be prophetic since he only had woman and God there to hear him and made reference to father and mother---neither of which he actually experienced --at least not in the conventional way we do.??????What do you think?

2004/10/22 14:16Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Prophesy is the disclosure of the mind and will of God.Adam laid down as it were a principle that would run true throughout the entire bible and be quoted by Jesus.In its context his words had to be prophetic since he only had woman and God there to hear him and made reference to father and mother---neither of which he actually experienced --at least not in the conventional way we do.??????What do you think?

I don't want to get into a wrangle over this. You have defined prophecy as 'the disclosure of the mind and will of God' and by your definition of prophecy that would make Adam's actions a prophecy. I think a key element of prophecy is the proclamation of the 'mind and will of God' to a third person. This is why I said so much about a prophet being a mediator.

However, my point in slowly building from the scriptural revelation was to identify the first biblically defined instance of prophecy; which was Enoch's and the first biblically defined instance of a prophet; which was Abraham.

However, and this links with Jimm's comment...
Quote:
This article puts into words that which I have been failing to express for some time now. I think you are right to point out the link between prophesying and prayer. I believe that the type of prayer is also very significant; to pray “in the Spirit” is in many ways comparable to prophesying. In both instances, utterance is guided by divine providence (the Holy Ghost).

...it is not impossible to prophesy to oneself; it is an interesting exercise, particularly the judging of the prophecy that follows. The revelation is not always in words but sometimes in ideas. Sometimes just waiting upon God and reading the scriptures there will be a flurry of linkages and a solid truth that emerges; this is what I would call an aspect of revelation. When the revelation is expressed in words it has more of the nature of prophecy.

I don't want to tie things down to the mechanics here, but just get a feel for what the Bible has in mind when it speaks of prophets and prophecy. Often it is somewhat different to the way these words are used in modern charismatic circles.

Quote:
Gen 2:23-25 KJV
(23) And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
(24) Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
(25) And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

The last verse of Genesis 2 was clearly not Adam's words. eg 'the man and his wife' is not Adam's voice. It is almost certain that v24 is not Adam's either but is the contribution of Moses, who was certainly a prophet! This is the view of Albert Barnes in his commentary;"But it seems more probable that this sentence is the reflection of the inspired author on the special mode in which the female was formed from the male. Such remarks of the writer are frequently introduced by the word “therefore” (על־כן kēn-‛al)." Keil & Delitzsch are of the same opinion.

2004/10/22 14:35Profile
dohzman

Re:

Now that you mentioned that I can see it.As to the duty of a prophet in prayer and prophesy I would only add that the Prophet will usually show markes signs of worship Gen 18 .Thank you Bro.....God Bless---Daryl

2004/10/22 15:36Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Worship

Quote:

dohzman wrote:
As to the duty of a prophet in prayer and prophesy I would only add that the Prophet will usually show markes signs of worship Gen 18 .

Dohzman

I think your comment was a very important one when you consider the meaning of worship in our covenant with God (through Jesus Christ). The exercise of worship must be “in Spirit” and “in truth” (John4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.)

I think we would be hard pressed to find a prophet who did not, at some point worship God. Worship is a sobering and enlightening God centered occupation, which realigns with the reason for our service to God. Prophets do not just prophesy just for the sake of it, but they do it in service, first for God then for as many as God will ordain. The greatest worshipers of God in the bible had to be very close to him and very selfless.

James

Quote:

dohzman wrote:
Now that you mentioned that I can see it.As to the duty of a prophet in prayer and prophesy I would only add that the Prophet will usually show markes signs of worship Gen 18 .Thank you Bro.....God Bless---Daryl

2004/10/22 16:16Profile
rookie

Re:

Br. Ron wrote:

Quote:
Chronologically the first man said 'to prophesy' is Enoch. (Jude 1:14) His character is better revealed in the Bible than most realize. More later...

I've just begun to read this thread, and found this. I believe Scripture teaches that Abel was the first prophet. See Matthew 23 and Luke 11.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/10/22 16:35Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

By faith

Rookie

Luke 11 does give that impression that Able was the first prophet. Hebrews 11 (4 By faith Abel offered to God a better sacrifice than Cain did. By this, he was approved as a righteous man, because God approved his gifts, and even though he is dead, he still speaks through this.) gives a picture of Able still prophesying to this day.

While on that note, it would seem that the overwhelming majority of those in Hebrews 11 were prophets. Could it be said that a characteristic of the prophets, is faith in divine almost innate knowledge of God given them through revelation?

James

2004/10/22 17:00Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
I've just begun to read this thread, and found this. I believe Scripture teaches that Abel was the first prophet. See Matthew 23 and Luke 11.

I think you're right. Thank you.

2004/10/22 17:05Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: By faith

Quote:
While on that note, it would seem that the overwhelming majority of those in Hebrews 11 were prophets. Could it be said that a characteristic of the prophets, is faith in divine almost innate knowledge of God given them through revelation?

I think all faith is the result of revelation so there is a clear connection. It is not clear what Abel's prophetic activity was, but as we only have a few details of his life and they focus on his sacrifice, I can't help but wonder if he shared this revelation with Cain and Cain chose to reject it.

Hebrews tells us plainly that it was 'by faith that Abel offered...' and faith cometh by hearing, it must have been in direct obedience to God and hence faith that Abel acted. Abel's sacrifice was then, ordained and Cain's was will-worship. The implications of that are that not only did Abel 'offer by faith' but that Cain refused to offer in direct rebellion.

It is a light on the Cain and Abel account that I had not seen.

2004/10/22 17:14Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy