Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Near Death Experiences

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Near Death Experiences

The other week we had a customer come into our store. His wife and I got to talking and in the course of the conversation she mentioned her husbands health challenges. He had a stroke and an heart attack a couple years ago. During this time he was clinically dead for a long time - she said how many hours but I wonder if I misunderstood because in hindsight it sounds way too long. I asked her if he had a near-death-experience (NDE) and she said 'yes!' I then asked if I could hear it, so she called him over to where we were and he shared with us his NDE. (I will call him John, do not remember his name...)

John dreamed - he said he does not know how else to describe what he saw - that he came to a beautiful grassy field with a forest of trees in the distance. In the far side of this field there was a huge gate. He made his way to the gate and there he saw his family - parents, child - who had predeceased him on the other side. They invited him to come on but he said he can't, that he needed to go back and do some things. He turned to leave and then he awoke.

John saw no angels, no Jesus. He said he believed hell was out in another direction but saw nothing of it but was aware of its existence and was emphatic about not wanting to go there.

John said his goal is now to work to be good enough to get there (to the place where he saw his family) when he dies. Then he proceeded to show us his masonic ring and how he is a 32 degree mason, grand master and they do wonderful things to help people.

In the meantime, the doctors told the wife he would end up in a nursing home, helpless, comatose - perhaps. After she was told these things, she left and she prayed to the LORD for healing. When she returned to the hospital the nurses told her John was talking, much to her astonishment - he was 'dead'. They said go in and see him. She was shocked when she saw him do everything his doctors said he would never be able to do....

The wife is confident of her husbands dream, its authenticity.

I was a bit taken back when John was sharing his dream with us. He never saw anything of angels, nor Jesus. I have heard of saints of God having NDEs and they saw the LORD, saw angels. They came back with an urgent message of "repent!. Make sure your sins are under the blood of Jesus!" Usually, they will speak of glory, beautiful music that floated through the air, the air was so clean, so pure, so holy.

In the course of this conversation, I reminded him that the only way you can get to this wonderful place is through the blood of Jesus. He acknowledge this fact but then proceeded to talk about his 'good works'.

There are many out there who have NDE and they report wonderful things, it removes for them the fear of death. But there is a difference in these experiences. I have concluded if they are from the LORD these victims will see Him, if not they must be a counterfeit from the devil.

What do you think? What are your thoughts on this issue?

ginnyrose

2010/6/29 9:41Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Near Death Experiences

I have a book by Dr Maurice Rawlings called To Hell and Back. There is also an online video by him of the same name.

But, the story you have related to us does sound counterfeit. As it is, scripture tells us that satan himself is transformed into an angel of light, 2 Cor 11v14.

I accept that he saw. But who says what he saw was of God.

2010/6/29 9:54Profile
KathleenP

Maine

Hi Ginny,

I don't doubt that this man saw this dream, but I know one thing really stands out in my mind; the use of drugs in treatment.

Morphine etc. is very often used on people such as this, and it cause hallucinations and obviously not in a good way. The reason folks get addicted to these drugs is because it makes them feel euphoric and for most doctor's it eliminates the unpleasant possiblities of seeing an ungodly person die.

I would truly pray that the Lord would cause great doubt to come into his mind.

I had an uncle die screaming for water, and saying he was burning. Also, my now saved friend Pat died on the operating table at 15, and saw hell below and arrows on fire being shot at her. When she had this experience, it sent her on a mission to find God.

I agree with Enid that you watch Maurice Rawlings video in your free time. This man has been duped and I know you see that. May the Lord give you wisdom in how to pray and be a witness in all this.

Kathleen

2010/7/2 5:12Profile

At that level of masonic involvement, 'John' is bound to know he's involved in Lucifer worship by his own choice a long long time ago. I don't doubt he could repent and be saved, but part of The Lie is that man can 'work' to attain salvation, apart from God.

The god of this world, in the form of 'gain', (1 Timothy 6:5) has blinded those who are perishing. 2 Cor 4:3, 4, Rev 3:17. They don't reckon with God's eventual wrath against them for having disdained The Life - the blood of Christ. Rev 6:16, John 16:9

2010/7/2 6:01
Know-Him

I know nothing about Near Death Experiences. The Bible says that "it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:" Hebrews 9:27
However I do know many Christians that have a Near Life Experience. They are saved but they have never come to experience the wonderful, abundant life that Jesus died to give to them. They live their life near to what they ought to be, but fail to enter into the fulness.

2010/7/2 7:46Profile
savannah

We are to 'let the word of Christ dwell in us richly in all wisdom', "For every one that useth milk, is unskillful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong food belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil." (Col.3:16a,Heb.5:13,14)

Christ said this, "There was a certain rich man, who was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day: And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, who was laid at his gate, full of sores, And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover, the dogs came and licked his sores.And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by angels into Abraham's bosom. The rich man also died, and was buried: And in hell he lifted up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.And he cried, and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue: for I am tormented in this flame. But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy life-time receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they who would pass from hence to you, cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldst send him to my father's house: For I have five brethren; that he may testify to them, lest they also come into this place of torment. Abraham saith to him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. And he said, No, father Abraham: but if one shall go to them from the dead, they will repent. And he said to him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one shall rise from the dead." (Luke 16:19-31)

Paul said this, "I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such one caught up to the third heaven. And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) That he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter. Of such one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in my infirmities. For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or what he heareth from me." (2 Cor. 12:2-6)

IN THE LIGHT of the Word of God,the Word of Truth above, I recommend you all listen to this at the following link:

http://mp3.olivetreeviews.org/OTM2008_11_08A.mp3

With the flood of extra-biblical and unbiblical teachings which claim to be revelations and visions from the One True God, we all ought to 'Take heed therefore how we hear'.

There are plenty of books and reviews of such books like those mentioned in this thread. It's crystal clear that such experiences are as Jeremiah put it in chapter 23 where we read, "...they speak a vision of their own heart, and not from the mouth of the LORD... saying, I have dreamed, I have dreamed... But if they had stood in my counsel, and had caused my people to hear my words, then they would have turned them from their evil way, and from the evil of their doings...For who hath stood in the counsel of the LORD, and hath perceived and heard his word? who hath marked his word, and heard it?

"We have also a more sure word of prophecy; to which ye do well that ye take heed..." (2 Pet. 1:19)

2 Pet. 1:16-21 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eye-witnesses of his majesty. For he received from God the Father honor and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him on the holy mount. We have also a more sure word of prophecy; to which ye do well that ye take heed, as to a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day-star arise in your hearts:
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

Take heed to the Word of God in this post.
Meditate upon it.
Pray.

Hear the whole counsel of God.

I tell you the truth, it is not heaven or hell they've visited. As one poster quoted, "And as it is appointed to men once to die, but after this the judgment:" (Heb. 9:27)

2010/7/2 9:52Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re:

I too would strongly suggest watching the Rawlings video. I have a copy of it and weep when I watch it. Some of the testimonies are better than others in my opinion. I did not know you could watch it online. But it is worth it.

2010/7/2 10:11Profile
JoanM

GINNYROSE WROTE: But there is a difference in these experiences. I have concluded if they are from the LORD these victims will see Him, if not they must be a counterfeit from the devil....What do you think? What are your thoughts on this issue?

A SMALL THOUGHT: I have heard these things, including from two people I have know for a long time (one from before and after their experience, another from only afterwards). THESE THINGS DO NOT MOVE ME. What a horror it would be, to be comparing our own personal experience as we "die" with the reports we have heard/read from others. That is the wrong place to gain (or loose) last second assurance and what a last minute claw hold for doubt.

Then there is "John" who received assurance in the lie he believed. I see no need to reconcile these reports of experience with scripture. I am not surprised that the Rock of scripture and truth came to your mind Ginnyrose.

2010/7/2 11:42Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Ya'lls comments reaffirms my own.

I, too, have read Rawlings book - we have it and I appreciate his take on these supernatural manifestations.
One reads of these incidents but rarely meets someone who will say, "Yes, I have experienced it and here is my story..."

I have a friend who had a NDE. She did not see Jesus but felt a 'presence' she assumed to be him. After reading this book, it has me asking more questions about this, but I know one thing, it will not effect my walk with the LORD nor my own salvation because I am not going to be her disciple.

Yes, I was a bit taken back when 'John' talked about how he is working to be good enough to get to this wonderful place...

My husband had an uncle who was a very ungodly man. His death was so horrible his attending nurse said she hopes she will never again witness anything like it. As he lay dying he was screaming for water, that fire was burning at his feet!

And people will use the word hell carelessly in their speech: "what the hell are you ..."

ginnyrose

2010/7/2 11:57Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy