SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : But YOU Promised!?!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
mguldner

Kansas

But YOU Promised!?!

Growing up in a church culture there has always been something that has always bothered me and that is people taking God's promises and applying only the promise to their life while ignoring the obvious conditions of the promise that we through Christ need to fulfill in order to receive the promise.

Yet another thing that I noticed aparticularly is taking God's promises in a box for only physical or finacial blessings.

I have a "God Promise's" book that outlines the promises of God for most situations, I was a little leary about reading any of it because I figured they would simply focus on the promise while neglecting the condition so I decided to take a NASB I purchased and go through the entire book and highlight the promises and the condition of the promise, sometimes the condition. Just was curious on thoughts on this issue and thought it would be interesting to see what you all thought was the most misinterpreted Promise of God is on a whole or your certian promises that you have been taught by the Holy Spirit the proper application to our everyday Lives.

One that I see is the John 8:36 "So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed." God has taught me that this freedom is not freedom to Sin or do whatever we want but a Freedom FROM sin that through the Son Christ Jesus we may be Holy as God is Holy and Perfect as the Father is Perfect, Only by Him is this accomplished.

Doing this study and highlighting my bible in this way has helped me out tremendously Maybe this will simply be a thread where people can post praises and Honor to God for the Promises that He is revealing to them. I will say that I had a distorted view of these promises for a long while because of the miss use of them but God is bringing me into the realization that HE Loves me and wants what is best for me. :)

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/6/26 22:23Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re: But YOU Promised!?!

This is a most worthwhile thread. Thank you for bring up the subject. I, too, have one of those books full of God's promises and have also avoided reading it. Just picked it up at a yard sale once and felt it may be a tool at some future date. The project you are doing sounds very rewarding. I like the idea of dedicating a special Bible for that purpose.

Along with the 'Promises of God' I like to meditate on the 'Names' of God. Such as in the Lord's Prayer, "Hallowed be your name," When I say that line I like to think of the names I know and cherish the most, "The God who answers prayer," "Jealous," "The Lord God Almighty." Those are some of the ones I find the easiest to recall.

God Bless you too,
white stone

2010/6/26 23:00Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

I have one of those too! That will definitely be my next project God's Names are awesome as well, let's us know who God is on a personal level. I am so glad that through the Holy Spirit and His Word that became flesh Christ Jesus we can know God that He is not some far off God that doesn't care but He is a personal Loving, Saviour that wants a relationship with Us! SO Awesome!

2010/6/26 23:07Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

I have studied the Beattitudes for a long while now reading them and then rereading them trying to let them in my heart, I write them on my hand one at a time really praying that God show me what He means, I was praying with Matthew 5:4 in mind and found yet another promise that God has always been faithful to that in times of mourning in my life He has always brought me comfort either in prayer, reading His Word, or a person He sent to come along and give me encouragement, He has also used this site as a great tool of comfort to my heart.

I take great joy in mourning for I know He is my comforter! Praise God forever and ever!!

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/6/30 1:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy